1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Might pull the trigger tomorrow: Tow feedback please.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by kirk180, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Mar 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    kirk180

kirk180 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi guys. Really considering pulling the trigger on a Pyrite Mica Double Cab TRD OffRoad tomorrow. Been lurking for a while, first time poster here. Anyway, I bought a travel trailer to pull that has a dry weight of about 4900 lbs. It's a double axle 25 footer. With the family and loaded full of gear, I'm figuring I'd be right at about 6000 lbs. Now my question is this: Would you buy this truck in confidence, knowing that you'll be towing 6k pounds?...Can the transmission handle it?...Or would you look for a full size? I thought I read somewhere that the Frontier uses the Titans transmission. But I haven't found any in depth info on the Tacomas transmission, and would like to know more.

I have a Honda Ridgeline (Don't bash it. It's great at what it is.) now with a 5k tow capacity, and initially thought about just keeping it and letting the truck deal with the added wet weight. I don't wanna have to go full size if I don't have to. So I'm trying to justify staying midsize with grabbing a Tacoma. In my situation, would you keep the Ridgeline, buy a Tacoma for the 1500 pounds additional tow capacity, or go full size?

Great forum you guys have here!
    I'd appreciate some honest feedback.
    -kirk180

2. Mar 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    The tacoma will pull it, but since the trailer is 25ft you WILL get pushed around quite a bit.

For the transmission you will want to get a bigger transmission cooler and look into a temp gauge. I installed this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIIE1W/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I pull my jeep wrangler on a 1000-15000 lb, 16ft trailer. Only problem I have pulling is going up long steep hills.

Edit: Since you already pull it with a Ridgeline, you will be happy with a Tacoma

3. Mar 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    kirk180

kirk180 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify, I don't pull it with the Ridgeline already. I bought it during the cold season, and the RV dealer has been holding it for me. I'm due to pick it up in 2 weeks and will be fitting it to a truck then. My father owns an RV sales and service business that will also accessorize your tow vehicle. So he'll hook the truck up, regardless of truck, with whatever it needs to tow. He plans to pull my trailer to his business location with his Silverado, and fit it to my truck there. Whatever truck that may be.

Like I was saying, really like the Tacoma on paper and looks. Just wanna be assured its the right truck for the job, and the drivetrain can handle it.

4. Mar 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    How often are you planning to use the trailer, and how far are you going to travel.

I'm not a fan of frequently maxing out a vehicle's capacity - tends to make them not last. If you're going out a lot and planning to travel longer distances, I'd look at a full size truck. It will last longer and be more comfortable during the trip - probably get better MPG to boot.

Just my $0.02 worth.

5. Mar 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    Taco Guy11

Taco Guy11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Western Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    I pull my dads boat roughly 4500 pounds or more loaded. I live in mountain Maryland and there's a really big hill. It did fine up it better than I thought it would. It just alot to get stopped in a hurry but did only has surge brakes. Oh btw I have seen a few covered trucks around here like test models they looked like gm's before doing test runs on the hill with trailers so its a pretty steep incline.

6. Mar 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The Taco's 5-speed auto was shared with the 4Runner V8 and Tundra V8 until 2009, so it will handle the extra load just fine.

I think ultimately you'll be disappointed at the performance of the Taco when towing. The truck's weight should be heavier than the trailer's, which means you'll be trying to move over 12,000 lbs with 236 hp. The same weight would move more easily with 381 hp from a Tundra 5.7L.

7. Mar 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    RDtres

RDtres Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DC LB
    Id go full size for that size of load

8. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    kirk180

kirk180 [OP] Member

Member:
    As of right now, I only plan to tow it a few times a year...in state. I have a permanent site leased, but want the capability of taking it elsewhere a few times a year. Hence the considering keeping the Ridgeline, and just letting it do the work. But then I'd always be towing at a little over the limit. Not to mention, I'm really liking those new Tacomas

9. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    I would get the tacoma. I tow right at or little over 3k pounds a lot(atvs and trailer) tow up and down 5 to 8% grades at 75mph no trailer brakes at all. can’t hardly tell it’s even back their.

I would tow 6k as long as you have trailer brakes and the tow package. you should have no problems towing it! MPG will drop but thats part of it. I would get a full size if i was towing that weight a few times a month or more and for long trips. but sounds like you wont be towing it all tha much so the taco should do fine. some guys have towed over the 6500 pounds.

10. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

25ft, potentially over GCVWR, I'd move up to a Tundra.

11. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    x's 1034
    Taco would be marginal for towing that kind of load. Sure it will do it, but I think you'd be more comfortable towing that with a full size. I can't say much as I routinely put mine up to towing about 5000 lbs every so often, but the unloaded mpg's make up for not having the 5.7L.

12. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    I see a local guy around here pulling 100+ bales of hay regularly during the summer. Doesn't seem to be a big deal to pull 6000 lbs if you're set up for it.

13. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    x2 if you set up for it it would not be a problem.

and if they are squire bails they are any where from 50 to 100 pounds each. all depends on how dry/wet they are. if they are really dry they can be as light as 50 ponds, if they are wet 100 maybe 110 pounds. He probably dose not even know 100 bails are even back their, - trailer weight you talked about 1k lbs or so.

edit: i tow about 3k with just the stock tow package, and a hitch thats set for 3 1/4” rise no W/D hitch or anything, no trailer brakes. tow just fin on hills and can still stop pretty fast when i have had to slam on the brakes. (stupid cu** cut me off) but 6k pounds is a big difference then 1k or so that the farmer around you is towing.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  14. Mar 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    kavy

kavy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    CALGARY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC TRD
    3" Lift
    I have a 5300lb 28" trailer and it pulls fine behind my Tacoma. I'm not gonna lie I'm not speed racer by any means but I have had zero issues towing it. I would say once fully loaded I am at 6000lbs. My father in law has a 1500 and to be honest the only difference I felt with those two was from a start, otherwise they felt similar.

I have airbags, a WDH with sway bars and a brake controller. I travel twice a month 200km and aside for the crap gas mileage when towing I enjoy that I kept my taco instead of going full size.

15. Mar 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    If you have the proper set up (brake controller, wd hitch, trailer brakes, anti sway, etc...) the Tacoma will do just fine. I wouldn't tow that every weekend, but 3-4 times a year...absolutely. Most people on here are going to say that you should go full size...but really, I don't think you NEED TO. if you wanted an excuse to, that's another story. I've towed close to and over the Tacomas limits with my 2011 before I traded that...no problem, as long as its set up properly...

You want to stay mid size, the Tacoma will handle it fine. I would get the Double Cab Long Bed due to the length of the trailer. That will help with sway at highway speeds. As long as you're not trying to fly down the highway at 100mph, you'll be fine. Considering you are debating keeping the Ridgeline, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the capabilities of the tacoma.

16. Mar 27, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    kavy and Opponent are spot on!

17. Mar 27, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    I'd go full size if you wre towing on a regular basis but since you said a few times per year the tacoma will be fine. Just make sure it is set up properly for the weight and you should be good to go.
    I don't see the point in the purchase of a full size and paying for a full size year round when you only need a few times per year. Just take it easy on the tacoma and it will get you there. watch for cross winds as you travel as it will push you around on the highway.
    Towing around town you will be surprised on what a tacoma will tow, its the highway and highway speeds that kill the truck when towing a heavy load.
    On the bright side, if the tacoma is not to your liking, you can alway sell it for dang near what you paid for it and buy a 1/2 ton no problem.

18. Mar 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    kirk180

kirk180 [OP] Member

Member:
    Quick update: Haven't pulled the trigger yet. I went out for a third test drive yesterday. Took it for a little longer drive this time (one hour). I want to pull the trigger for a lot of reasons, but can't because I'm unable to find a comfortable setting for my long legs in that seat! As much as I try to get past this, I can't. Whenever my right leg is off the gas pedal and on the floor, it's against the shifter and I find the bolstering of the seat there aches my thigh. I wanna be able to get past this. It's just not working. FWIW I'm almost 6'4", and whenever my feet aren't on the pedals, my knees are bunched up against the shifter and some uncomfortable spot on the door.

I have lower back issues, and believe that the Ridgeline has spoiled me with it's comfortable captains chair that's elevated well off the floor. I traded my Audi A3 S-line in because my back couldn't handle the feeling of my legs being way out in front of me for extended periods of time. What I can't figure for the life of me, is how Toyota continues to opt against putting a power front seat that elevates you off the floor, in a $30k+ truck. Hard to believe that any vehicle coming in over $30k could only have a 4 way manual seat.

Again, not a rant. Love the truck. Continue to try to make it work, but I just can't get comfortable. Great site here guys. Not sure if I should keep trying to find an answer, or continue lurking to see what the next gen brings. Surely it will have a power seat, right?

19. Mar 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Lots of people complain about the "weird" seat position for the Tacoma. I would agree it's a little odd. Most who do complain find it's too low to the ground which for me causes my legs/knees to be at a weird angle when using cruise control or at a stop light etc. It does mildly bother my lower back.

Most likely the seat position is due to Toyota wanting great ground clearance but not wanting a too tall of a passenger compartment. The ground clearance is best in class if I remember correctly and really gives us the off-road edge.

I find as long as I stretch occasionally by forcing my knees together, pressing hard, while at a light or coasting my back isn't affected nearly as much. This stretches out the muscles pretty good. I drive a lot, 80 miles to work round trip M-F and the wife and I always are going on day trips. Yesterday we put 4 hours, 225ish miles in the truck. 2 kids in the back, access cab :)

I do find the seat position a bit low, but it wouldn't stop me from buying mine. I'd do it again.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  20. Mar 30, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    If you can't get comfy, don't try to talk yourself into it - you'll regret it in the long run.

I'm only 5'8" , so it's not bad for me (and I have back problems too) but your extra height changes the whole dynamic.

If it were me, I'd look at a Tundra (or Sequoia if an SUV would work) - or go Silverado/F-150.

Products Discussed in

To Top