1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Lights for 2012 4 cycl. Tacoma PreRunner Basic model

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Tex-Tac, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Mar 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    Going to 'try' and install 'Fog Lights' on my daughters 2012 4 cycl. Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab. It's not an SR5 version, it's just the 'basic model' Tacoma, so I already know that it is not 'pre-wired' for fog lights because I already checked.
    I've narrowed down two different fog light kits and would like to hear from anyone who has installed any one of these two kits before?
    I kinda of favor this first one http://**********************.net/products/00016-35220-toyota-tacoma-fog-light-kit-2012 for a couple of reasons, 1.) It is from a Toyota dealership? 2.) It comes with clear cut instructions with pictures and can be printed as a guide as well as the website has a few other pictures on the kit itself. There are two things though that I kinda don't like which is, part of the installation seems a bit 'involved' under the dash and the second thing is the price. At $142.95 plus the lowest shipping price of $12.52 usps totalls around $165.00 and change.

This next one is off of Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fog-Lights-Lamps-Kit-Replacement-for-Toyota-Tacoma-2012-2013-/121047637148?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2012%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3ATacoma&hash=item1c2f005c9c&vxp=mtr) and it's only $99 bucks with free shipping which is not a bad deal. I called and spoke to an individual asking if he could provide me with instructions so that I could study the installation but was told that the kit comes with instructions and did not have any instructions to send.

So as previously mentioned, I'd like anyone's opinion on installing any one of these so if you have I would appreciate any info., tips, etc. If you want even send me a PM about it!

Thanks everyone for your time and response. :D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    I am thinking about installing fog lights myself. I saw a pair for sale on Amazon for a Toyota Sienna which might fit for $89. It looks exactly like the kit on ebay, but if anything happens and I need to return it, I'd rather go with amazon.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Mar 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    cfagan14

cfagan14 GaTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB 4X4 TRD OR Quicksand
    I used the first one, drove down to the dealer to pick it up. Install wasn't bad, about an 1 hour to put it all in. Switch works good though and they look good as well.

4. Mar 28, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    Tex-Tac

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    Thanks fella's! Thanks for your input. :D

EDIT** Ordered the first one, felt that it was my best bet also with the help of cfagan14's input, scheduled to arrive this coming Saturday!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  5. Mar 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    Post a how to if you can, I want to see how its done :]

6. Apr 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    Tex-Tac

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Alright, I "just finished" installing the Fog Light Kit from Toyota McDoungh. :) (http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/products/00016-35220-toyota-tacoma-fog-light-kit-2012)

Mission Accomplished with much success! :D

First off the kit did not arrive on the previous Saturday (3-30-13, as the tracking number had indicated) it arrived the following Monday (4-1-2013). So with that I decided to wait till this coming Saturday (4-6-2013) to do the installation (weather permitting) in order to allow myself plenty of time if needed. I'm not a regular mechanic/tech just someone who will do certain mods, repairs, fix'es, etc. inorder to save money (that is if I can?!). Well thank God I did because (I timed myself) I started at 10:55 am and did not complete the entire installation till 2:30 pm! Talk about taking your 'Sweet Texas Time"!
    This installation may be easy for some and that's fine but for me I just studied the entire installion instructions all this past week and even called and spoke with the people over at Toyota McDoungh and asked questions.
    I just followed the instructions step by step and only encountered just one problem along the way. When T-tapping into one of the three wires one of the T-taps came apart! Hey, at this point I started to panick! :eek:
    I stepped back for a minute to collect my thoughts and put the little metal thing back in the plastic T-tap and continued. This happen to me a couple of times with the same T-tap! But overall was able to accomplish the task at hand.
    Now gaining access to the wires is definitely a challenge (at least for me they were).
    From the diagram/picture in the setup it is upside down so you have to view it right/correct side up. (see here: http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/blogs/news/7387350-tacoma-fog-light-kit-help)

After that, everything else was just basic stuff and I was able to finish the entire process. :)

Well, overall I feel that purchasing the kit is very well worth it. Since the the fuckin' dealer wanted, get this, $800 bucks just for the factory fog light kit, then another $800 for installation, total around $1600 and change! Fuck that!
    Fog light kit with everything, cost : $149.95
    Shipping cost (USPS Priority Mail) : $ 12.42
    Total: $ 162.37

Cost of doing the installation yourself, 'priceless' !!! :D THANK GOD!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  7. Apr 26, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    ffbartlett

ffbartlett Well-Known Member

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg Cab 4x4
    tint, bfg's, 5100's, tunnel cover.
    would this kit fit in a 2011 tacoma as well? thank you.

8. Apr 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    Tex-Tac

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:

I really couldn't tell you if that kit would work or not for a 2011? But I wouldn't take any chances by trying to install it in any other Tacoma year other than what years it list.
    I'd suggest that you contact the website (Toyota Mcdonough) and specifically ask to speak with the individual that I spoke with, his name is "John" and inquire about your question. I'm sure that he will be able to answer any and or all of your questions concerning the year. They may even already have a kit for the 2011? Again, though, the only way to find out for sure is to call and ask?

Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  9. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:42 AM
    district 5

district 5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Del
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    13 Reg. Cab
    half of nothing
    no, I don't belive this kit will work for the 2011 as their fog lights are a different size than the 2012-13s. I just purchased and installed this kit for my 2013 but had a a totally different kit for my 2009 (which is the same as a 2011)

Products Discussed in

To Top