1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help!! Total Electrical Failure

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IluvTEA, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Edit: Problem solved! diagnosis: dirty/loose battery terminals. Thanks everyone for your help!!

I just got back to the house after running some errands. I noticed that the light on the garage door opener was burnt out, so I back halfway into the garage and jump in the bed to change it out. I get back into the truck, turn the key and it made a weird noise and then everything went dead. I popped the hood to see if anything was out of the ordinary and it all looked good. I get back into the truck and some lights came on, I tried to start it again and it went totally dead again. I disconnected the battery and reconnected and still nothing.

Any ideas?

I just passed the 3 year mark but it only has 32K miles.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    Luder94

Luder94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Characteristics of a short somewhere. Do you smell any burning plastic, rubber, or a sulfur-like smell?

3. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    cottontop

cottontop Active Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    ARB Bumper 8000lb Warn
    Check the ground cable on the battery. I had a terminal broken one time where it was hard to detect

4. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Thanks for the quick response guys, I'll check those real quick!

5. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Battery voltage? Battery voltage when you turn on the headlights or try to start it?

6. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    @ Luder94 no burning smells

@ cottontop I checked the fuses and they all look good. I checked the ground cable and it looked good, not exactly sure what it's supposed to look like. But I connected my jumper cables to the negative terminal on the battery and checked other grounded areas in the engine compartment and don't get any sparks.

@ max I checked the battery voltage and it's showing 12.6

I wiggled some fuzes around and wiggled the positive terminal on the battery and the lights interior lights come on, but whenever I try to start it, everything goes dead

7. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    I checked the voltage and it's showing 12.6 with everything off. 12.5 when the parking lights on, 12.1 with headlights on (HID Projectors), and it drops to 0.6 when I try to start it

8. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    cottontop

cottontop Active Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    ARB Bumper 8000lb Warn
    Possibly a bad batt or starter. Starter shouldnt pull battery down like that

Hit the starter with a hammer. Try jumper cables

9. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Did you clean the terminals and re clamp them tight?

If they are dirty or loose at all it will make it seem like a dead battery. And check the main ground that goes right to the frame.

Turn on your head lights. Then try to start the truck. If your lights are one before you turn the key and then go off when you turn the key then back on after you let the key go that is a classic terminal problem.

10. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    For shits and giggles try to jump start it, theres other threads on here about the tacos going haywire when the factory batteries die

11. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    Your battery is most likely toast.

12. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Are you checking directly on the battery terminals or on the clamps?

13. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    I'm gonna say battery also. Mine gave out without a warning at about 5yrs/50k. Jump it and see what happens.
    Edit: when mine went out I got in and everything was normal, dome light came on. I turned the key and the dome light died...instrument cluster dimmed and then went out completely. Installed a new battery and all was good. It had never been draggy or showed any signs that it was dying, but rather just died all the sudden.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  14. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The weird noise you heard was probably the starter solenoid clattering as the battery didn't have enough juice to pull it in and hold it.

Again to chime in dead battery.

15. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:

Utard is the winner!! It was a problem with the terminals. If you are ever in SD let me know and I'll buy you a beer!

I cleaned the terminals with a wire brush and wiped them off with a rag and tightened the clamps all the way and it worked like a charm.

Tomorrow, I'll take it to Autozone/Advanced/O'Reiley's and get the battery and alternator tested.

Thank you everyone for your help!

16. Mar 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
  17. Mar 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    When you said this in your first post, most figured that you made sure they were tight and clean...

18. Mar 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Glad you got it solved.

19. Mar 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    FWIW you can do a voltage drop test on both positive and negative posts to the terminals and it can help you in situations like this.

Take your multi meter and set it to a 12 or 20 volt scale.

Take your red probe and put it on the positive post, take your black probe and put it on the positive terminals. You should see almost no voltage drop. Like 0.0 .2 and you've got a pretty bad drop, anything higher and you get problems like this.

You can do the same exact thing for the negative post and terminal.

As well as - post to engine block ground or body ground or + post to starter etc... or really anywhere.

Shows a lot of good voltage drop tests:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-...w-articles/135793-slow-no-crank-how-test.html

20. Mar 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. When I "disconnected the battery" I took off the negative clamp and put it back on. The problem was with the positive terminal/clamp. And I've never had to clean my terminals before. I guess I'm still an electrical novice. But I'm glad I learned something with the help of TW and others can use this for troubleshooting in the future.

Products Discussed in

To Top