1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So how good is our 4wd system?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by h22dx, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    As a former Jeep owner, and driven many other 4WDs including two other Tacomas before this one, I call the current Off Road Tacoma 4WD excellent to outstanding.

I try and get stuck where I go, and I just can't... also the Toyota is built so well, I can't break it, either! It is like night and day compared to a Jeep product, which is sad... as I do love Jeeps, but wouldn't buy one again.

The Off Road 4WD Tacoma has selctable traction control (limited slip) in 2WD and 4WD-HI, it has a rear locking differential in 4WD-LO, and it has Active Traction Control, which is like an automatic locker on the front and rear axles in 4WD-LO... It frees up to allow steering on tight trails, but once tire spin is detected, will 'lock' the two tires on that axle together to rotate at the same speed.

Here I am pulling a 2WD Tacoma that is stuck in a sand dune, out then UP the Diablo Dropoff, in Borrego Desert last year... A group of Jeepers said to me before I started it couldn't be done, the watched from the top as I did it, no sweat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9m1u1pba4Ps

Most of my four wheeling is in Baja California... deep sand, steep grades, mud, anything you want!

I even go with my friend who loves his Rubicon:

710Shell036_99bafe7bf515ed1a25a989b1f9b9fc8561c91446.jpg

One of the toughest roads in Baja, is the road to Mission Santa Maria that includes 'The Widowmaker', a muy steep, rocky grade that is first driven down, but there is only one road to the mission, so we all have to drive up it later! HB Murphy and his lady, Zoom joined us in 2010 and took some videos. One of the vehicles to join us was a custom made van/motorhome with front and rear ARB lockers! Following the Widowmaker, is the bog with 3 foot deep water... in the middle of Baja!

You will get a kick out of these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dw44OnITtRc#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=slqyAwt6CP8#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UBvjeiwTN48

The next day... here is Art in the 4WD motorhome getting airborne, coming up the Widowmaker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XRSjAk2qy_U

While not a lot of my truck in here, it and 2 other Tacomas drove it, plus a 4Runner, a Dakota, and the motorhome. Side note, the oldest Tacoma with the heavy popup camper blew a differential shortly after leaving the mission, and the motorhome ended up pulling him up the mountain!

2. Dec 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    the t-case is good, but chain driven so the only way to modify is to bolt another reduction box in front of it. i wish mine had a tad lower ratio. hard to get through the rocks without getting my clutch all toasty.

i will say that the stock suspension is awesome once you remove the swaybar. it articulates better than i would have dreamed any stock ifs to do. (sig pic was swaybar on, all four tires firmly planted) It blows me away at how well it keeps its tires on the ground stock. granted i came from an old torsion bar pickup

my only gripe with wheeling this truck is that the exhaust crossover is just behind and LOWER than the crossmember. not lower than the diffs i dont think but still i've sat on it once or twice. very snaggable

3. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  4. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    Actually I think that toyota's 4x4 system works pretty good, even though you have a stock truck...

Here in Mexico, Jeeps are everywhere if you go offroad... Mine, almost stock, has gone through every place other jeeps with more mods and the only problem I've had is that the Taco is wider than the Jeeps...

So, not only me, but all my friends are impressed of the capability of our systems!

5. Mar 31, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    In Baja California, Mexico... it is wise for a Toyota to come along with a Jeep! :p

710Shell036_99bafe7bf515ed1a25a989b1f9b9fc8561c91446.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top