1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Increasing Payload 2011 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by imchestnut, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Mar 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
  2. Mar 29, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    What maint. issues are you talking about off-rodain with bags, I've had mine for over two years, been off-road, took it up black diamond runs, blasted sand dunes with em? What are you talking about? Bags friggin save everything, driven massive loads like 2700 lbs yesterday, then I'd deflate them and go off roading. Have not one single problem with these bags at all.

3. Mar 30, 2013 at 3:49 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    I'm a happy user of RideRites also. I think they are a very good answer to the saggy Tacoma rear springs. The system holds air pressure, the only adjusting I've done is to air down after hauling or air up to carry. Some use bicycle pumps to air up, I use a small cheapo compressor and installed power next to the schrader valves in the left rear bed compartment.

4. Mar 30, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Part of that weight is also supported by the front axle. There was a post a few weeks ago showing a trashed axle on a half ton.

5. Mar 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    white08gt

white08gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tn
    Vehicle:
    05 dbl cab 4x4 sr5
    toytec lift, fj rims, a.r.e topper
    you can build your own cheap, I have done twice on other trucks. go to junk yard and find the same width leaf springs and get progressively shorter and place springs between bottom overload and the factory. I have used springs off of broncos and full size blazers, usually more leafs with out and fat overload spring. have taken factory springs and cut them shorter and added 2 or 3 more, just taper ends and get new spring eye bolt and you are set. the shorter spring really increase load capacity. another option is napa sells a load leveler shock that is gas filled with a coil spring added. I know that do not show one for a Tacoma, but could look at the specs and find one that would work. I originally looked in to this with my truck, found the shock that was right length and right ends but did not if the spring around the shock had enough clearance.

6. Mar 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    imchestnut

imchestnut [OP] Member

Member:
    I know you can't really increase the payload on these trucks. I just meant "carry the advertised payload better than it does without riding on the bump stops all the time." Currently, with the TSB leafs, I am less than an inch from the stops with 250lbs in the truck. This means, if you hit any bump it thumps. I am sure by 300 I am touching them.

I got a job in the backcountry that requires I carry 600-1000lbs in the truck. Sometimes I also tow a small camper in addition. I know this isn't ideal, but I can't afford another reliable truck and you can't change vehicles every time I change jobs either. I should have bought a full size truck but I didn't need it two years ago. So I need to make this one work as best as possible. I still think that the springs are poorly poorly designed but I don't think most people would debate that.

I have been fighting with Toyota because, in my opinion, the springs are not function the way they are with the advertised payload and they should replace them with something that is. I have realized this is never going to happen.

I am on backroads and off road most of the time and it is weeks that I won't see town sometimes. My buddy had airbags and they were a constant fight. They leaked air, they got holes (we poked a stick through one) and were in general high maintenance and you were always adding air to them which is a pain. Some people like them but if one went flat and they weren't clean (caked with mud, rocks, sticks...) it got a hole in a heartbeat.

I go to the backcountry in less than three weeks so I don't really have time to go build my own and I don't really have a shop with all the tools to get this done in a short amount of time. I was looking for some options the shops around here could install that would at least make this truck useable for the next year until I get it paid off and I can get a fullsize to solve this problem.

Thanks for all you guys help, I think I can get some leads on things and at least make this better. If it would hold 600-700lbs without slamming all the time, I would be happier.

7. Mar 31, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    imchestnut

imchestnut [OP] Member

Member:
  8. Mar 31, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Honestly, it sounds like you should contact All-pro or Deaver or someone like them and ask to have a custom leaf pack made that supports 1000 lbs++. It's going to be a stuff ass ride unloaded, but would be pretty good during work

9. Mar 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    09DirtyTaco

09DirtyTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab Prerunner
    I broke my stock 3 leaf pack and went with allpro standard duty leafs and did my own setup to get rid of the 3" of lift they provide. In the end the standard duty springs increased the payload and they should ride much better than the expo's unloaded, but im not sure how well they will hold 1000lbs.

10. Mar 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    dira1987

dira1987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 LT Prerunner
    Metal.
    I was an a similar boat with my truck. I was putting around 900lbs in the bed on a regular basis and my stock springs were toast. I got the ome springs and nitro charger shocks from sierra expeditions and never looked back. Drives really well under weight. Can be a little harsh off road unloaded but I recommend them.

11. Mar 31, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    Skunkman

Skunkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    I tried a bunch of different spring-AAL set ups, and finally installed a set of All Pro Expo's. I have 600-800 pounds on the rear daily, and couldn't be happier with these springs.

12. Mar 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    cytocycle

cytocycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expedition Build - 2012 TRD Off-Road
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
    I went with the Dakar packs which you can add another Leaf, but you should consider adding Timbern bumpstops to help out when loaded off road like I did. http://www.timbren.com/

13. Mar 31, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    X2 on the Timbrens. They act as a second spring when the bed is loaded.

Contrary to the way All-Pro advertises them, however, don't get Timbrens if you plan to jump the truck. :D

14. Mar 31, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    00PowderSpecial

00PowderSpecial Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DC
    I'm in the same boat. Usually have a sled or quad in the back, or towing trailer, and drive on gravel roads a lot and broke a leaf the other day and brought it in to get fixed, still covered under ECP toyota warranty and apparently leafs aren't covered. It's fixed now, and you can tell the other side is saggy, as the new leaf side is noticibly higher. I'm going to go with a aftermarket leaf pack to gain the height and will lift it at the same time 3" and get the billy 5100's and springs to raise the front 3" also.

15. Apr 1, 2013 at 4:14 AM
    Skunkman

Skunkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    With the All Pro Expo's, and near 800 + pounds in the back, I am still over 3" above stock in the rear. They are one heck of a set of springs,not sure how high this would ever be if unloaded. I have TRD front coils, and 5100's set on 2.5 and it is way high in the rear, need to add at least another 1-2 inches in the front to level it.

16. Apr 1, 2013 at 4:25 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Why don't you simply go to your local spring shop and let them fix the problem? They can upgrade, rebuild or replace your springs with a quick turn around, turn-key solution...

Howard

Products Discussed in

To Top