1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission problems acts possessed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jmavrick101, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    jmavrick101

jmavrick101 [OP] Sponsored by the American Warfighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    Okay so basically this is what is going on with my transmission.

I have a 2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4 DCLB 4.0 V6

I first started to get these issues about a week ago.

This is what it will do.

When starting engine and shifting to reverse it will not go into reverse it acts like neutral.

Truck will go into drive but won't always shift through gears right.

After driving for a little bit when I decide to park it sometimes will shift to reverse when I ask it to.

Sometimes while driving it will shift funky like It won't shift into 5th or will stay in fourth or stay in first just randomness.

Things I have done.

Put in a newer transmission

Changed the solenoids

Checked wiring harness for any imperfections and also checked resistance on wiring harness

Made sure all grounds were connected correctly.

I have hard reset the computer

Transmission fluid has been completely emptied and properly filled with new transmission fluid.

All fuses are good

All connections on the wiring harness have been cleaned and electrolyted and properly connected.

I have also hooked up my computer to the truck and I am able to turn the solenoids on and off with the computer and it will shift into the gears correctly. So I do not believe i have missed something on the wiring harness and I am not to sure of it is the ECM

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated I have been losing my mind over this.

DURANT Toyota in Weatherford TX has basically told me to go eff myself. I have taken it up there to them and asked them to look at it or run diagnostics to see if the ECM is bad. They acted like I never asked the first time. The second time I went up there they told me it would be a $500 diagnostic fee because its a "complicated" issue and it would take around 4-5 hours of labor to use their high tech diagnostic computer to find out the issue. (Not a joke that's what they said)

Please help somebody has had to have this issue.

2. Apr 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    How 'new' is this tranny? Did it work fine at first, then start to act up? What was the problem with your original tranny? You might try to borrow someone's computer from a same model truck or get one from a salvage yard and try that. If that doesn't work then you know it's a tranny problem.

3. Apr 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    newer tranny has about 40,000 miles the older tranny was grinding gears a bit and it needed to be replaced it was pushing 130,000 miles, i took it out last night the newer one is doing the same thing as the old one just without grinding, it wont shift like normal. its popping up a P0976 code and a p0973 code i have done literally everything except get a new ecm, but can an ecm just crap out randomly?

4. Apr 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    So this newer tranny started doing the same thing without grinding right away. Almost sounds like a pre existing problem. Those codes are for low voltage to solenoids, but what would cause that?

5. Apr 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    This is just me, but your best bet would be to find another dealer and see if they would give you a more refined diagnosis based on those codes.

6. Apr 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Just a shot in the dark, but have you checked the easy stuff? For example, your transmission filter and fluid. A clogged filter can cause some pretty strange symptoms. I do see you've changed the fluid, but did you use the right fluid for your particular transmission (the fluids are not all the same)? Beyond that, I have nothing. Odd problem. May need a transmission expert. Good luck.

7. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    Yes I used the right fluid, the new transmission is not grinding. The transmission is just shifting retarded

8. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Not sure of which years but there was a TSB about some shift issues with the automatics that required "flashing" the onboard CPU

(reprograming/updating) Check to see if yours requires this...;)

9. Apr 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    Ecm was flashed today no luck. Possibly a grounding issue?

10. Apr 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Reverse in the Aisn Warner A750 is mechanical ,not electrical or ECM solenoid controlled . If you are not getting reverse I would be looking at the control valve body .
    If you are getting good reverse but your upshifts are messed up , find out why those codes are coming up .
    The newer transmission will do the same thing because the ECM sees an issue with the wiring going to the transmission and commands your transmission into fail safe
    The computer is designed to prevent any further damage to the transmission .
    A private subscription to all data may be what you are looking for to diagnose the problem .
    All Data is about the only company that can give you a Toyota electrical breakdown for the transmission control circuits coming from the ECM .
    https://checkout.alldatadiy.com/ade...ke=121914475&model=121914587&engine=121914593

If I had to guess , you have an issue with the wiring from the ECU to the transmission .
    Are you any good with a DVOM ?
    http://freedownloadb.com/pdf/ba750e-b-and-a750f-bautomatic-b-btransmission-b-3220218.html

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  11. Apr 4, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    I have all data and have been using it religiously. I'm heading to the shop now to see if its a grounding issue. I think it's something small I'm over looking

12. Apr 4, 2013 at 6:07 AM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    I'm okay with a dvom. I see more practice In my future....

13. Apr 4, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Yes, an ECM can just crap out randomly. That being said, you have to rule out any other possible issues. Remember that when you are driving your truck, vibration can cause intermittent loss of connections with terminals, or if a wire is worn, and close to shorting, vibration may cause it to make contact and short out. When you run your diagnostic checks, I suggest you look from the harness where it plugs into the transmission, and follow it all the way up to your ECU, looking for possible points of rubbing through, or kinking which can cause internal wire breakage. Putting your multimeter on an audible "min/max" setting can be very helpful, as it will beep at you when you cause the short to occur (if that is the actual case)

A failed, or failing ECU can cause all of the problems you mentioned EXCEPT for no reverse. As mentioned, a valve body can cause this issue. Also a misadjusted shift linkage can do this as well. Check with your available information to find out the proper procedure for adjusting your linkage. Look on the side of the transmission also for a loose linkage condition.

Shorts, open wires, and failed internal diagnostic connections can cause that.

AllData is pretty good, but here at the shop we use Mitchell1, which also gives very detailed diagnostic information taken directly from Toyota.

Definitely learn your DVOM. What kind do you have?

14. Apr 5, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    It's a Mac tools dvom.

Truck is popping up a ton of different codes now du5yhe7e_9a487c20232797256bf8df25c8f2a737830eaff4.jpg

15. Apr 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    I used my dvom all my resistance is good went over all my grounds cleaned them reconnected them. Now I'm popping up these new codes. I'm so lost

16. Apr 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    Did you hook up the linkage correctly

17. Apr 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    left the house this morning to take it to Vandergriff Toyota in Arlington all the way to the gas station it stayed in 3rd got gas then i asked the truck really nicely to please shift into 5th on the way to Arlington (30 mile drive) .........it drove like it was new....im sitting at Vandergriff right now they are taking a look at it.

18. Apr 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    Linkage i did make sure that was hooked up correctly yesterday forgot to add that.

19. Apr 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
  20. Apr 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    jmavrick101

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DCLB
    I'm getting from Toyota that the transmission is bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top