1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Had a wreck (pics) and now have a chance to redo

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChiefManyWrenches, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Apr 8, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    To make a long story short, in the battle of Tacoma vs. tree...tree won. I don't remember the exact circumstances of the wreck but the lady behind me said I slammed on brakes and swerved hard to avoid something in the road and blah blah blah crunch. I walked away without a scratch and nobody else was involved luckily. Now I am in the fortunate position to get another Tacoma and with the insurance payout can probably get one a little nicer than what I had which was pretty spotless to begin with.

I am going to get another 4 door 4x4 but torn between the TRD Offroad which I had or a TRD Sport. I know all the advantages of one over the other on paper but the ONLY thing that really makes me want a Sport is the longer bed. The Offroad is great but after driving it for just over a month the longer bed might be a little nicer to have. It is all give and take and I am considering all options. Then again, I have a trailer that I can put whatever I want in it so the longer bed doesn't really warrant giving up some of the 4X4 capabilities to me. I am one of those "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" types of people.

I guess what I am saying is, if you could do it over again with a clean start, which would you get? Keep what you had, switch for any particular reason, switch to the darker side of Ford or Chevy? I have the rare opportunity to do whatever I want and want to make sure this is the last truck I buy for a long time.

All in all, the truck took the hit ~45 mph or so like a champ. Crushed the front but the cabin was perfect. Airbag went off and the door had to be kicked open but I did not get a scratch except for a seat belt bruise.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/[ATTACH=full]1707502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]1707502[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1707503[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1707504[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1707505[/ATTACH]

2. Apr 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Daum....................glad ur ok.

3. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    I think you can buff that out :)

4. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Thats the last time that tree will talk about YOUR mom..

kidding aside, glad you are ok. Let us know what you end up with. I have heard great things about dodge rams lately.. lol

5. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Oh and I vote sport w/longbed. That's the one thing I regret a little is not getting the longer bed.

6. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Glad your OK man, if I had to replace my truck I would probably get a DC 4X4 SB Sport. :D

7. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Skip the TRD Packages all together - Spend less money on the truck and spend more money on the mods that make it exactally what you want.

So you hit a tree that hard and you don't remember why you braked/swerved - Did you get checked for a head injury??

8. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    That's what I was thinking..get a SR5 and use the extra money for arb lockers and whatnot..

Accidents like this..i wonder how different it had been if you had a steel bumper in the front..that isn't so forgiving...

9. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    ^^ These!!!

http://youtu.be/5Lugab0ehZM

10. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    SAXD Taco

SAXD Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    N-Fab Steps, BakFlip F1, TRD Accessory Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liner Floormats
    Glad that you are ok after such a bad accident. Looks like the Taco did it's job protecting you. My vote goes for the long bed as well. I absolutely love my 2013 long bed sport 4x4. I believe that, with the long bed, you get more functionality & versatility with the truck. Good Luck with your future truck purchase!

11. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Sr5 4x4 would be my buy. The offRoad is great but the price is near luxury territory.

12. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    We're you texting

13. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    X3 Base model 4x4 long bed. your going to mod the truck anyways based on whats left of the old one. Why not save a little up front to put back into what your going to spend in the long run anyways.

14. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I don't remember about 45 seconds backwards. I remember leaving a red light as the first person in line which was about a quarter mile back from the accident spot and then some lady knocking on my window. She was right behind me and said that she thought I missed a turn or something and didn't see anything in the road because she was behind me and not really looking for anything. Went to the doc and he did some tests for memory and mobility and such and it was diagnosed as a minor concussion. I had a little headache that night and nothing the next day at the doctors appointment. No drugs or alcohol, no history of seizures or anything. Just a freak accident and I don't know why.

Edit: not texting or talking on the phone. Phone was in a backpack. Cops asked the same questions and checked my phone. Also had to do DUI tests on the spot. Ended up with a careless driving ticket vs. reckless or dui.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  15. Apr 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    It was 10 minutes after I got off of work at 5pm. The lady behind me is the only one that stopped, she is a nurse. She told the cops I went out of my way to avoid any traffic and that is why I hit the tree. Instead of hitting the person in the right lane or whatever.

16. Apr 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    dirtfondler

dirtfondler Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 F250 7.3L Diesel
    Sounds like a weird cause for accident?

Anyway, I say long bed all the way. I am on my second and wouldnt even consider a short bed. It is just long enough to sleep in! You say you have a trailer so remember that the longer truck will tow a little bit better too.

I bought a sport for the second time because I hate when the black door handles start to fade and/or get wax on them. However, I am sort of regretting not getting an SR5 and just changing all the black parts out. I could do without the hoodscoop and I already changed all the suspension so it would have been cheaper.

17. Apr 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Glad your OK, thats a nasty wreck.
    They can do that? Interesting. My phone automatically locks to keep everyone out.

18. Apr 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    No seizure. As far as the cop, he asked if I was texting and I went in the truck got my backpack and showed him the call log and texts. Probably didn't have to but I had nothing to hide and reason not to. I try not to mess with my phone when I a driving.

19. Apr 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    jobrien

jobrien shit happens then you die

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    Bed mat, cleats, scangauge, new headlight bulbs, weather techs, more to come
    glad tl see you're ok man

20. Apr 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I test drove both, and the sport rides better than the off road. And the body colored parts make it a better looking truck also. I could live without the hood scoop...although some have told me it looks cool.

I have no experience w/ the longer bed Tacoma. Because if I wanted/needed a longer bed, I'd probably buy a larger truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top