1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Same Key for Shell and Tailgate Lock

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Wisaunders, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Apr 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    Wisaunders

Wisaunders [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I have the Leer 180 shell and just ordered the Pop and Lock P5300. Is there any way to modifier one or the other or both to use the same key?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. Apr 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    You would have to replace the internal tumbler from one of them. Compare the keys first, to see if they're the same size/length. If they differ drastically, then the internals would too and it wouldn't even be worth the effort.

I have my tailgate and canopy locks both powered to lock/unlock with the passenger doors. But my canopy is a Leer 100XL with the center handle.

3. Apr 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    Wisaunders

Wisaunders [OP] Active Member

Member:

So I have the Pop & Lock now. Both the Leer and Pop & Lock keys are the exact same size. Can anyone help me get the tumbler out of the Leer handles? I took the handle off the door but there is some sort of spiky washer that looks to be holding it in place. I think I can get the Pop & Lock tumbler out. Also, where can I order the replacement tumblers?

Back of Leer Tumbler
    [​IMG]

Back of Pop & Lock Tumbler
    [​IMG]

Leer and Pop & Lock Keys
    [​IMG]

4. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Those keys actually look to be made by the same company. They even have the same sort of stamps. The washer is designed to only be used once, but it should be easy enough to find another one at any parts store/home depot.

As for the tumblers, if you can get in contact with both Pop 'n Lock and Leer, see if they can point you in the right direction for who they use to manufacture the tumblers. Then you just call them up and see if you can order 2 tumblers to work with the same key.

At least that's how I would do it. I have no idea how expensive it would be.

5. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Getting the lock itself out of the assembly is the (relatively) easy part.
    These cheap locks were not designed to be re-keyed. They are generally pressed or swaged at final assembly and won't come apart in a manner that will allow reassembly.

6. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Similar in profile only.
    Those are completely different blanks. One is mirrored from the other, but there are other differences.
    The two cylinders are not at all compatible.

keydiff.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  7. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    agreed...............ur better off ordering a replacement wafer lock from 1 of the companies. Either pop n lock, or LEER...........tell them u need a replacement lock and what key number u have.

Then install that tumbler into the other product so they match

8. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    Take both locks to a locksmith. end of story.

Products Discussed in

To Top