1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A little lift help - selection and purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grieby54, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 [OP] Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB MGM JBL/Entune/Nav
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    I know these have been discussed about a million times before, and I've spent the better part of the morning searching like a good little boy and I can't find my answer.

I posted in a previous thread that my wife needs new shocks on her 4Runner. My front shocks will fit her 4Runner, so I'm using this as a convenient excuse to upgrade my own and give her my hand-me-downs (she loves the way my truck rides).

So, this leaves me with the decision on which way I want to go. I've been bouncing back and forth between a handful of options, trying to decide which one is best. Ultimately, I'd like to see about 2" of lift and have my truck sit level (or just slightly higher in the rear).

Two kickers - the first one is that I get a lot of rewards from work that can only be redeemed in the form of gift cards (I have $550 worth of gift cards from the last couple of weeks and the number keeps growing). I'd like to pay for the parts in gift cards, and the only place I can really do that is on Amazon. So, the only way that I can afford this lift right now is if I can find those parts on Amazon. The second kicker is the install. Will I have issues with my warranty if I do the install myself? I'm dealing with the driveline shudder (which I've all but given up on), and I don't know if it's an issue with my truck or incompetent techs at the stealership, but my steering wheel is off to the right and they've "fixed" it twice, but it's still not fixed. I don't want me installing my own lift to give them a reason to just write those issues off.

Option 1:
    Bilstein 5100's @ .85 with the rest stock to level the truck. I don't want a harsh ride and I love the way my truck rides currently. With the progressive springs in the OR, I know that the higher I go with those springs, the harsher the ride. The cons are that it won't bring me to my desired 2" lift, and I will eventually want to do more to the truck which means doubling some effort and expenses.

Option 2:
    Blistein 5100's @ .85 with Eibach Springs, 1/4" spacer on driver's side, and 1.5" Toytec AAL. This seems like a good option because it should get my my ~2" lift, but I'm worried about the ride quality. With the Eibach's being progressive as well, I don't want a stiff ride. I really like the way it feels now.

Option 3:
    OME 884X coils with the nitro shocks and trim packer, and 1.5" Toytec AAL. I'd love to go this way because, from what I've read, it has a really great ride. Two problems though - I can't seem to find a part number so that I can see if Amazon has it (and I'm not sure that they do), and it's the most expensive of the options!

Does anybody have some feedback for me? What are your opinions?

2. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Can't say much for the first two options other than some people on here have them and like them. My OME kit rides great. Stiffens the truck up so it feels like a truck and drives great. I have 885 coils though.

The warranty issue is they have to prove that the suspension caused the problem. I'm sure a search for tacoma lift on Amazon should pull up these options. Also check the manufacturers website for part numbers.

3. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 [OP] Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    I can't find the PN on their site and I don't get results when I search Amazon for OME 884X or Old Man Emu 884X (or 885 for that matter), but when I search Old Man Emu it comes up with complete kits that don't seem to fit the taco.

4. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 [OP] Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    And now that I look, I can't find the Eibach springs PN either...

5. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  6. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    medic2230

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Most of the kits let you select which spring you want cause they are the same price.

7. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    medic2230

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    All ARB is listing on the site is the heavy kit which is 886 springs. IDK why they aren't listing the other ones. Maybe give them a call and ask what the part number is for the kit with the 884's. They are the US importer of OME.

8. Apr 12, 2013 at 4:59 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 [OP] Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the help guys. This is going to be harder than I thought!

Products Discussed in

To Top