1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sportbike Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NumNutz, May 26, 2009.

1. May 26, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    jeeters79

jeeters79 Active Member

Member:
    Arlington , WA
    Vehicle:
    '99 4X4 SR5
    Ninja 250's are fun. Get the experience with one and then work your way up.

[​IMG]
    Plus, you get more wide open throttle time! There's something to be said for having to work a smaller motor to get the performance. It's like the fun of flogging a little 4 cylinder roadster to get the same speed of a big V8. Once you have the skills with the little, the bigger will be better. Truly mastering the motorcycle is something rare nowadays, minus the guys at the track every weekend. Big, powerfull motors don't take skill to go fast.

2. May 26, 2009 at 10:31 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    are the new 250s and 500s fuel injected or do they still have carbs?

3. May 26, 2009 at 10:42 PM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    By no way am I a professional, but I have riding experience. I've been told that 600's are too big of a bike. Personally I believe it all depends on the size, skill level and maturity of the rider. My first bike was a Suzuki sv650s. It was plenty of bike for me, but a v-twin sportbike, instead of an inline sportbike. My wife at the time, had a Suzuki Gs500f, but soon outgrew it and upgraded to a Yamaha yzf600r (not r-6) 5 months later. Take a basic rider course though a professional rider education company and talk to the professionals. With each bike you buy, take it easy with it for the first few outtings and don't ride beyond your capabilities or let others pressure you into doing so. Happy cycling and ride safe.

4. May 26, 2009 at 10:43 PM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Oh yeah...and always wear your gear (helmet, jacket and gloves at minimum). Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

5. May 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona

I had an RC51 after owning my SV650s for awhile and I rode with a guy who could outride me in the corners all day long. He was lighter and his bike was more flickable.

6. May 27, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    jeeters79

jeeters79 Active Member

Member:
    Arlington , WA
    Vehicle:
    '99 4X4 SR5
    what kind of bike? I have a buddy like that- he grew up on bikes. Does dirt and street. He rides an RC51 too, but he can flick it pretty good through the corners. Kinda scary how fast you can move a big bike if you know how:eek:

7. May 27, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    To this day, I still LOVE to ride a Ninja 250! Like you said, You can go WOT in the first 4 gears, and STILL be within the speed limit! :woot:

Dam fun bike!

8. May 27, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    2009Taco

2009Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Highlander
    my first and current bike is a Honda CBR600RR. I took the MSF class last year and two weeks later, I got the bike. I think if you ride smart, wear your gear, and take your time, a 600 will be fine. The minute you try and keep up or over do-it with other riders is when things can turn very quickly.

9. May 27, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Id say go with a sv650, great first bikes!

I was in the same boat as you last year, but with 6years of MX and enduro racing behind me and I chose a yzf600r. Great bike, just a lot of power. I always wanted to ride it like I was riding dirt, balls to the walls, it was fun, but looking back incredibley stupid. My speeding eventually caught up to me when I was stopped by one of our finest (the dude was a total shithead), but anyway I got my highspeed driving award with a $40 dollar fine and 5 points on my license. It happened on fathers day btw... I learned the hard way. If you think you have the self control, go for a 600 but there is a lot to learn..

And always wear your equipment, like Brunes said. Ive come to the point where some stupid shit is now missing his side view mirror because he wasnt paying attention. Theres just a lot of stuff that can go wrong and even more to learn

10. May 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    07tacoark

07tacoark Still kickin like a chicken!

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 & 19 TRD-OR 4x4
    Lots on 07 ... getting started on 19
    a gixxer 600 was my first street bike & still is. get gear to ride with asap though, and frame sliders.

just bc u have so many hrs on a dirt bike dont mean nothin! i used to ride dirt bikes growin up and its nothin like ridin a street bike. i never took a course on how to ride, i was raised in the country and had access to roads and other means of learnin where and how to ride literally everything from a bicycle to a backhoe.

never take for granted what anyone that knows what they are doing that try to give u advise neither. always respect the bike and dont try stupid shit.

and remember that just bc u feel safe on the bike, dont mean that other idiots out there wont take yur life. always watch out for other drivers, they have no respect for riders nor do they pay attention.

here is mine, 600cc is plenty for me. its freakin addictive!! dont really care for a bigger bike any time soon. i get compliments all the time from other riders, even though its got scuffs from before gettin frame sliders with a few incidents i had :rolleyes:

1030081450-00.jpg

11. May 27, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    actually riding time on my mx bike, helped A LOT. I could throw my rocket around like none other, and instantly felt comfortable, which really isnt a good thing on a 100+hp machine.. But when it comes to handling it, the experience definitely helped.

12. May 27, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona

My Buddy kelly was on his wife's 08 Ninja 250. He normally rides an 08 Aprilia RSV or his 05 GSX-R1000. He's a great rider and should race professionally.

13. May 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Getting this one it seems like... Next year though and I'll pick up a used one. Maybe one off a one year lease or something. Went to a dealership today and the guys there had only good things to say about it. They said that I would get really bored with 250s and 500s quickly and that the 650 V-twin was a smooth, great bike for a beginner and intermediate rider. They said that if they were buying a bike for their son that they would get them a 650.

Suzuki SV650SF

[​IMG]

When I get the bike the first thing that is changing is it's getting an M4 Slip-on carbon fiber pipe!!!

14. May 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Good call on the SV650. Lots of people think that 70 or so hp is too much to start on, but like i said before, as long as you restrain yourself you'll be fine.

the SV is one that you'll be able to enjoy now and for years to come, unlike some of the bikes people recommend as starter bikes.

thats probably the bike i'll start on, except the SV650. naked with round lights.

either that or jump up to this is and just take it easy

http://www.triumph.co.uk/streettriple/streetTripleFlash.asp?lang=en-US

15. May 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    NICE!

I love the Buell 1125r. I love that its an amaerican superbike.

[​IMG]

16. May 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Buell has the xb9sx which is also a pretty sweet looking bike (can you tell i love the naked street fighter look :D) but at 70 ft lbs of torque its probably not best for a beginner.

it's not so much the power that'll get you, it's the torque.

17. May 27, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    I've been riding on the street since I was legal. I'm 41 and have seen a lot in my time in the saddle. I started on a moped in the 7th grade, moved up to a 80cc scooter, and bought my first motorcycle when I was a junior in HS. I've had all sorts of bikes since. I've done trackdays, dragraced, toured, commuted, rode motocross...too much fun.

I would highly suggest you buy something USED (don't spend a lot of money), and with NO plastic on it (skip the sport bikes). No use buying new and full of plastic and then have you tip over or have a minor get off...bye bye nice looking bike, hello big repair bill and higher insurance. There is a learning curve you'll go through in the first couple of years of riding, and staying alive is your number one priority. Sport bikes are not forgiving and are not comfortable around town. It puts you in a ass up, head down position and you can't be as observant as opposed to a more standard bike that sits you up better. IMO, sport bikes do not make good road bikes these days. They are too narrowly focused towards the track and are very compromised for the road. Get on a track with them and they all of a sudden make sense.
    Some questions you need to ask yourself...are you more concerned with survival techniques (learning how to ride) than how you'll look. Why is it you are getting a bike? Because it's cool and want to be seen as a rider? Or you really want to get into the motorcycle lifestyle?
    Riding a bike is an incredible experience and the rides you take will always be better than doing it in a cage. BUT, it is not to be taken lightly, it can end your life in an instant. You have to recognize that.

18. May 27, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

:rofl:superbike....:rofl:

Not even close.

19. Jun 10, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Before you buy any bike, check the insurance rates for it. Being 18 you're going to pay more right off the bat. If the bike has RRs XXs Ninja or other badging it's going to cost a ton of money to insure.

Some great advice above. Glad you're listening to folks. We all love riding bikes and want others to enjoy it safely.

There will be times you will want to push limits. Just try to be smart about it. Only times I've been hurt so far are when I did silly things. Cagers will kill you in a second, keep an eye out for them and expect them to not see you and/or do something to hurt you. That philosophy literraly saved my life more times than I can count.

show us some pics of you on the bike when you get it!

Kenobe - 2003 Kawasaki ZZR-1200.

[​IMG]

20. Jun 10, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    jeeters79

jeeters79 Active Member

Member:
    Arlington , WA
    Vehicle:
    '99 4X4 SR5
    Can't stand it anymore - Time for me to post up pics of my baby too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top