1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help! some ideas on a surfboard mount to rail!?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sdfitted, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Apr 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    Sdfitted

Sdfitted [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DCLB
    Icon 2.5 icon uppers
    So in order to save space, not move, and look rad IMO I want to build some sort of J hook with a bungee to attach my board to the stock bed rail with the existing lock sliders as seen in the pics... But going about doing it I'm kind of lost... [​IMG]

Any help or prior trials of something

2. Apr 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM
    jackrules

jackrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    Theres definitely some potential for this.

What I do is so

I drape a towel over the side of the bed, over the wheel well, and a lay it out a little across the bed and I put the board on it's side resting up against the wheel well. I then drape the towel over the board and I generally put towels over the front and back of the board. I then keep a cleat in the track system near the back window of the truck and I have a long bungie cord that I pull back to the D ring in the corner of the bed. It holds the board in there extremely well. My friends made fun of me for "over" tying down my board but I like it that way.

I think it would be really cool to mount a rack on the bed rails. If it were mer, I'd get a wall mount rack and then attach some small steel plates to the track system by using bolts with large washers and then I would mount the rack to those plats.

Really though, I think it'd be over kill to have a rack system in your bed.. the towel and bungie method worked well for me. I hope to see where this goes!

Check the board in the background. My 7'6" has to lay over the tail gate as it does in the pic.

[​IMG]

3. Apr 20, 2013 at 1:44 AM
    Sdfitted

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DCLB
    Icon 2.5 icon uppers
    Ya I hear ya I'm using bungees right now just doing an x across the bed but its kind of annoying. I see what you did I dig it, I've always wanted a bed cage and incorporate some sort of board mount but I'm not tearing this truck up jusssst yet. I've seen the bolts through the existing mounts that you're talking about, back to the drawing board!

4. Jul 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    Sdfitted

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DCLB
    Icon 2.5 icon uppers
    So I built it! All PVC 3/4", I can add to it it's not complete but that's the main rack. I can take the crossmember off that connects them and add more 45* s to have more racks. Works sweet so far! But I'm not found of the way it's connected to the bed rail. It's pretty solid on there but almost too solid a bitch to move lmk if you got any ideas tell me what you think

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once I get the foam on there and paint it black it should look not as kooky haha

5. Jul 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx Well-Known Member

Member:
    damn you and your long beds!!!!

whats the reason for needing a mount? i usually just toss the board in the truck bed and call it a day.

6. Jul 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    TimmyC

TimmyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DC Long Bed
    Billstein 5100's, OME 888 Coils, Dakar Medium Duty Leaf Pack, SC Ray Rims, BFG K02 - 285's, Leer XR100 cap, Topper EZ Lift System
    Ditto. If it fits in the bed, why not just toss it in with a wetsuit & some gear to hold it down?

7. Jul 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM
    Sdfitted

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DCLB
    Icon 2.5 icon uppers
    Sure ✌

Products Discussed in