1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Michelin LTX M/S

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 5862007, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Jun 11, 2009 at 9:02 AM

5862007 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x2
    First of all, I haven't been around here for a while, so hello to everyone.

My 2007 Tacoma (regular cab 2WD) came with the dealer stock tires and, since I've got 35,600 miles on the truck, I knew that theses tires were numbered in days. I drive on the interstate during my Atlanta work commute every day and am always conscious about disappearing tread on tires. The tires pass the "Lincoln test" with a penny, but I don't like to depend on that for Tacoma tires.

One of my back tires was flat this morning and, when I took it to get fixed at a longtime tire specialty place across the street, a screw was found in the tire. I asked the mechanic how the four tires looked overall. He told me that they probably still had about 5,000 to 8,000 miles left on them and that I could just get that tire fixed and drive on them for awhile longer.

Being the overly-cautious guy that I am, though, I decided that I didn't want to spend the next 5,000 miles thinking about when I was going to replace the tires. I asked them which tires would be the best for my Toyota Tacoma and they pointed to the Michelin LTX M/S. I told them, instead of fixing my punctured tire, to go ahead and replace my stock dealer tires with the Michelin LTX M/S.

These Michelins were expensive, but they felt good for the drive home and they look quite nice. I retroactively did my homework when I got back and read several favorable reviews of this tire, so I probably made the right choice. I don't do a lot of offroad driving at all and 99% of my driving takes place here in the city of Atlanta.

I kept the same dealer stock spare tire, as I saw no reason to make any changes there.

Does anyone else here use Michelin LTX M/S tires?
    Do you still keep the stock tire as your spare tire?

I'd be interested to hear any stories, advice, etc.

2. Jun 11, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    The LTXs are great tires. I had them on my Xterra with no problems and my dad has them on his diesel with almost 60k and they still have an ok amount of tread left. Great mileage tire, just a little pricey and not that great in the mud.

3. Jun 11, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    [​IMG]
    I have almost 50,000 miles on mine and this video was shot yesterday. Best tire I have ever owned. Great for mileage too as they have the least "rolling resistance" of all the comparable tires. As they age the grip gets better too.

4. Jun 11, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Best all-round tire on the market.
    I have owned 4 sets of LTX's.

5. Jun 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    :thumbsup: great choice on the tire. i've read/seen many good things about'em.

6. Jun 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM

5862007 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x2
    Thanks, everyone. Definitey puts my mind at ease.

I'm a financially strapped guy, but the two things that I never take shortcuts on are running shoes and tires. When I need new tires, I always just tell them to put the absolute best ones on my vehicle.

My truck looks cooler, I know that much. I don't usually dwell on that sort of thing, but the truck has more "oomph" to it now. I'll know for sure during my commute to work tomorrow, but the tires seem to ride better.

7. Jun 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    I bought a set when I decided to switch out my stock tires.They now have 27,000 kms on them and tread wear is minimal.I talked to a number of guys at work who have ONLY run these tires for many years,and they say that the mileage is incredible.I find them smooth and quiet but like yourself,I seldomly agressively off-road.They are exceptional in the rain and hydroplaning is not a concern.The only down side IMHO is that they are not great in the snow,and conversely I would think deep mud would tie them up quick.Having said that,I have been in some wicked deep snow and have never been let down,but 4WD was a must......I'm thinking that Atlanta isn't going to throw you many multiple foot snow storms so this shouldn't be an issue for you.:D

Great choice,you won't regret it.

[​IMG]

8. Mar 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    I just picked up a used set of 245/75R16 LTX M/S load range E with 50% tread for $100, they do grip pretty good and are giving me great gas mileage. I like the way they handle and they seem ideal for highway use and hauling trailers. I thought I'd take a chance and knew I was being cheap buying used tires but I'm really impressed so far. I'll likely buy a new set later this summer if these ones wear down some, I figure there must be at least 20,000 miles left in them and I'm not going to run them till they are right down till they're unsafe. Not a bad deal for $100.:woot:

9. Mar 22, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I had some on my F150, which was a secondary vehicle seeing less than 10,000 miles a year. I couldn't put enough miles on them to wear them out before they eventually died of old age (which eventually happens to ALL rubber tires.) That's a great, long wearing tire.

10. Mar 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I had them on when I first got the truck. Wicked dry/wet traction. Sucked on snow and ice. But that being said, for a Canadian winter nothing besides a dedicated winter tire is going to be even passably decent in these conditions.

11. Mar 22, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    clybourn

clybourn New Member

Member:
    chicago
    Vehicle:
    3rz 4x4
    I had a set of LTX A/T and I drove them for 100,000 miles. Replaced them with the M/S this time but don't drive nearly as much as I used to. You did well with these.

12. Mar 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    Have had these on several trucks and have never been disappointed. You're gonna love them and will have them for a LONG time! :D

13. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:41 AM
    396tears

396tears Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have used them for years on my vehicles
    and
    my wifes too

you made a great choice:D:D

you won't go wrong

great traction in wet & snow

we always get over 100k miles out of them

be sure to rotate

we change oil at 5k and rotate every other oil change

my wifes current car is a Toyota Rav4

14. Mar 24, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    tguil

tguil Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2018 Double Cab TRD Sport 4X4 AT
    I've had them on five trucks...three Tacomas and two Dodge Rams. They work fine in snow and on ice. Never had a problem on muddy roads either.

Tom :cool:

15. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    Sleeper362

Sleeper362 One Convenient Locations ......In Africa

Member:
    First Name:
    Corporal
    K-Vegas NC
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4 DC Shortbed
    Have them on the wife's escape for about 30K miles and they still look like they are well over 50%. Quiet compared to the Coopers I replaced with these. They are almost a purchase and forget item, you buy them and beyond rotation and air pressure, you will never have to worry about tires for a long time. The Mazdaspeed I just traded in for my taco went through tires every 20K miles. At $180 a pop, it got old quick. Can't wait for these Dunlops to wear out so I can replace them with Michelin LTX M/S

16. Jan 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    i just had the M/S2's installed. UNBELIEVEABLE improvement over the stock dunlaps on snowpacked city streets and wet pavement. my anti-lock breaks were kicking in constantly with the dunlaps- not any more! i'm very happy with the new michelin's. on the dry interstate, i didn't notice much different- maybe slightly quieter, but not much different. on dry city streets, i feel like they just grab quite a bit better. i initially thought that maybe my new double cab was just a lot heavier than my '98 tacoma and it didn't drive as well on snow/wet pavement. not the case- now it drives like a tacoma should drive!

Products Discussed in

To Top