1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RPMs - Help Settle a Debate

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by AeroCooper, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Using Fuel or No?

1. The Injectors Cut Off - Zero Fuel Used

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. The Engine Needs Fuel To Not Stall - Fuel Used

28 vote(s)
    71.8%
  1. Apr 24, 2013 at 4:47 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper [OP] Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    On another site we are discussing what happens to the engine when the car is coasting down hill. EDIT: We are referring to automatic transmission for the sake of this debate.

One side says that in a modern engine, the injectors shut off all fuel and the reported RPMs are due to the engine spinning strictly through the wheels and transmission 'back powering' the engine.

The other side says an engine needs 4 things to run, fuel, air, compression and ignition, and therefore if the injectors cut off all fuel the engine is considered stalled at that point.

Which do you believe to be correct?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. Apr 24, 2013 at 4:50 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I would say the engine needs fuel to run, I wouldn't consider the 1GR that 'modern' but since this is general automotive I guess it would pertain to any modern engine.

3. Apr 24, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper [OP] Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Yes, this debate is for modern engines in general, not Tacoma specific.

4. Apr 24, 2013 at 4:54 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I would say both are technically correct (not sure about the technical part of how different engines go about shutting down certain cylinders) but engines do need spark, fuel and air to produce power. They do not need all of that just to turn therefore you can cut the fuel to an engine and if there is something else driving it, like the driveline backpowering the engine, it will continue to spin. Coasting down a hill, the engine doesn't need to produce power but the engine can be an effective braking system. If you take an engine like our Tacoma engine, it will still push some fuel to the engine while coasting but I believe some other engines will truely shut off certain cylinders. An engine will stall without fuel but as long as it's got something driving it, like a starter or momentum, when you kick the fuel back on, it will just continue running (think about pop-starting).

5. Apr 24, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I remember something about this being brought up in another thread. Toyota, as well as other manufacturers have what is called DFCO or Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off. What this means is that when you take your foot off the gas, the fuel injectors will actually shut off totally.

Let's stick strictly with the general thread of an automatic transmission, for these operate slightly different from a manual.

For starters, unless you are in any other selected gear except D4-5, there will be no engine braking, thus you will not be able to "drive" the engine from coasting. Also, if the engine is not running at all, then you would not be able to have any engine braking either, as there would be no fluid coupling in the torque converter, nor would there be any fluid pressure from the pump, since the pump is driven by the engine.

Here is how the DFCO operates, and it is a VERY short lived operation: When you remove your foot from the accelerator pedal, the ECU will cut off fuel to all of the injectors. when engine RPM has reduced down to an idle speed (i.e. 800 RMP or so) then the ECU will begin firing the injectors to prevent the engine from stalling. While this does not seem like a very long time (Which it isn't) doing this over a long drive does improve fuel economy by a small amount over NOT using DFCO. The DFCO has been around for YEARS. Toyota, as well as GM and others have been using this program since before 2000. My 1997 Tacoma has it, but mine is a manual transmission, and does things slightly different.

There are certain requirements for the DFCO to operate. For one, your engine has to be at normal operating temperature, so it will not engage first thing in the morning or evening after work. On a manual transmission, SOME vehicles will not engage the DFCO unless your engine was above 1800 RPM when you removed your foot from the pedal. This prevents the engine from stalling out, as the engine drops rapidly in RPM in a manual trans.

On all vehicles if you return your foot to the gas pedal at any point, the ECU turns the injectors back on, and in an automatic transmission, if you shift the shifter into neutral, it will not engage.

6. Apr 24, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    I would imagine if your costing in gear you could say it is stalled, your mpg would read infinite or 99.99999 mpg. thats how it is in a diesel any ways.

7. Apr 24, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    i pick up speed on a very slight downhill, so i would guess it's still getting fuel. back in my days of driving a manual truck, i'd still slow down unless it's a very steep downgrade if i had the clutch in.

8. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Gravity can still help you, even on a slight grade. Again, the OP was being specific about automatic transmission models. The manual trans models work slightly differently, but the end result is pretty much the same.

9. Apr 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Injectors cut off and remain off until a manufacture selected RPM is reached.

10. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Well duh! That is what I said! :D I just said it with too much technical detail that's all. ;)

11. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:39 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  12. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    My 2012 stick shift Yaris has DFCO. The engine rpms just need to be above idle speed (around 1,400) for it to kick in. And there's about a two second delay before you can feel it going into DFCO mode. It's a great gas saving feature. :)

13. May 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Strange how people continue to vote no to something that is fact? :crazy:

14. May 6, 2013 at 1:05 AM
    JaRobTaco

JaRobTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC LB 4x4 4.0L Sport
    I use SCT Advantage software to tune on my Lightning and Mustangs. The injectors will shut of until the computer sees drop below a certain RPM, usually no less than 300, and and also uses a few other functions to determin this. It is called Coasting_Fuel_Shut-off in the tune.

15. May 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    I voted that fuel is needed...but this was before reading the above posts. I was unaware of all this technical stuff that an ECU can do. In my opinion even though the ECU goes into this DFCO....it only does it for the time it takes for the RPM's to drop to idle. The poll is flawed, in a sense both sides are correct, just to what extent....when coasting downhill...fuel is still used...just after a target rpm is reached. Am I wrong in this reasoning?

16. May 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    DFCO (Deceleration Fuel CutOff) is indeed a reality. And in manual transmissions it enables in all gears, so using third is a good idea because it enables DFCO while keeping the engine above idle speed. :)

17. May 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Is this in the 2012+ tacos or no?

18. Aug 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Rocket science...

19. Sep 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    Del Scorcho

Del Scorcho O-------l

Member:
    Eagle, ID
    Vehicle:
    DCLB 6 banger, 4X and Super Charged
    Magnuson Supercharger, 2.85 Stealth Pulley, TRD Baja Suspension, Walbro Fuel pump, Icon add a leaf, Method 701s
    If you have a Scan Gauge set it to GPH (gallons per hour) when you let off the gas completely to coast you can see it drop down to around .4 gph. About where it sits at idle. On level road at highway speeds I usually see around 3.8 to 4.5 gph. Put your foot in and you'll hit 10 to 13.

The keep MPHs highs, the GPHs low and you'll get good MPGs.

20. Sep 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The scangauge does NOT display fuel use correctly when coasting.

If you display the Closed/Open Loop function you will see it go into OPEN LP when you are in deceleration fuel cut off, but it won't show 0.0 gph. Don't know why scangauge can't get this right but it will even show 0.1gph with the engine off?

Products Discussed in

To Top