1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED bulbs in a 2005 Taco??

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Fightman80, May 2, 2013.

1. May 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    Fightman80

Fightman80 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB Speedway Blue
    Tinted Tail lights, Nerb Bars, Tonneau Cover, Vent Visors, Hood Deflector, Foglight/highbeam mod, Custom homemade grill, Carbon Fibre Interior.
    Hey guys... been sitting on some LED bulbs I bought on E-bay in the fall, because they won't light up in my stock wiring harness.....

Figured out, the bulbs are fine.... but for some reason... they just don't work in my truck. A friend of mine, thinks they are not putting out enough resistance, and the computer doesn't realize they are there... suggests I wire in a resistor to fix the issue..

Anybody have a similar issue??? What did you do to fix it??

2. May 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    LEDs are polarity sensitive. When you install them have you made 100% sure that you have the polarity correct?

3. May 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    Fightman80

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tinted Tail lights, Nerb Bars, Tonneau Cover, Vent Visors, Hood Deflector, Foglight/highbeam mod, Custom homemade grill, Carbon Fibre Interior.
    Absolutely... actually, I've done tons of work with LED'S before.... I've exhausted every fitment issue, as well as install. Looks like a resistor will be needed.

Has nobody tried buying a LED conversion bulb yet???? I know that with a 3rd Gen 4Runner... you'll get Hyper flash issues.... same with a Cavalier... but in my 2nd Gen Taco.... it just doesn't light up at all..... ?????

4. May 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The Tacoma has no "computer" attached to the lighting system.

If the LEDs aren't coming on, they're either incorrectly installed or they are bad out of the box.

The front turn signal sockets are wired such that they require the "CK" type LED or they will blow the turn signal fuse.

A resistor, or electronic flasher (available if you don't have DRL) will be needed for LED turn signals.

5. May 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    And FWIW, LEDs have HIGHER resistance than lamps.
    Anyone who doesn't think they have enough resistance is not someone to seek electronic advice from.

6. May 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    Fightman80

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Alright folks.... the bulbs were installed in a 01 Cavalier, and they work... only they Hyperflash..... so there is obviously something to this....

The bulbs work, it's something on the Tacoma's end..... P.S: The guy I'm getting to help me with diagnosing this, has helped me with many Electrical projects on this and my other truck. He knows quite a bit about this stuff...... but we're having issues figuring this one out.

I've contacted the seller, exchanged many e-mails, and he doesn't know why they are not working either....

These are the bulbs I purchased.....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-24-LED-31...h=item27cff9874e&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1#ht_2751wt_910

Anyone buy these before??

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. May 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Now that I see the bulbs you have purchased, I can give some recommendation on ideas. These bulbs have an interesting thing, that also goes with the regular bulbs that fit the same socket. I usually have to take the tiny metal contact that loops under the bulb and slightly bend it out, then take the socket itself and bend the tabs slightly so that they have a bit more "arc" to them. Then reinstall. Another thing you can do is used a multimeter and measure the resistance at the back of the socket to verify proper connection inside the socket. The 3156/3157 bulb sockets are NOTORIOUS for making poor connections. Over the past say 5 years I have had to make numerous socket repairs on these. One bulb will plug in just fine and work, the other wont.

Another thing to look at is the application. A 3156 bulb/socket is designed for a single "filament" bulb. The 3157 is for a dual "filament" bulb. If you put a 3156 bulb into a 3157 socket, it may very well not work. Same goes the other way.

8. May 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    Fightman80

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the ideas man... I'll give those a shot! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top