1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Desert Sand Mica Transformation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by VinnyMack, May 6, 2013.

?

Before or After!

Poll closed Jun 5, 2013.
  1. Should have left it alone..

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. I may actually like DSM a little better now!

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. May 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM
    VinnyMack

VinnyMack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Buda, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner DC LB
    Brute Force Hybrid w/ custom Longhorn cutout, Satoshi w/ Hella 500's, Wet Okole's, Kenwood DDX419 CD/DVD Player, Fog Lamp Mod, BHLM, Blacked-out badges/grill/roof/valence, 5100's up front @ 1.75, 1.25" Spidertrax, TacomaWorld Sticker, extra D-Rings and custom bed mat, interior LED lighting, and Car Seat Mod.
    Hi Fellas- after long hours of looking at everyone's badass trucks I got alot of inspiration of making exterior changes to my 07' DSM. Most of it from Bus-Driver. I did get new tires but other than that the rest was painted myself and only about $100 to do everything. Front and rear bumper, fog light, badges were done in several coats of Rustoleum. Lower valence, rims, and roof in plasti-derp. Poor man's way of changing the truck but overall I think it looks better. Looking at the polls and comments it is said that DSM is one of the less desired colors of the Taco's let me know what you think.

Of course Billies are next on the list!

How the truck overall sat a few months ago, stock as hell:[​IMG][​IMG]

How it sits today:
    [​IMG]

Before with some minor changes:

[​IMG]

Today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    ChadsPride likes this.
  2. May 7, 2013 at 12:08 AM
    trib

trib Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fogs & wheels look good. Maybe some tint next? I think that would make your truck look sweet. I also like to put tint on my vehicles because the less people see the less they will want to steal.

3. May 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    VinnyMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Buda, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner DC LB
    Brute Force Hybrid w/ custom Longhorn cutout, Satoshi w/ Hella 500's, Wet Okole's, Kenwood DDX419 CD/DVD Player, Fog Lamp Mod, BHLM, Blacked-out badges/grill/roof/valence, 5100's up front @ 1.75, 1.25" Spidertrax, TacomaWorld Sticker, extra D-Rings and custom bed mat, interior LED lighting, and Car Seat Mod.
    Thanks man- tint is also on my list!

4. May 7, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Looks good! Amazing what a little paint can do

5. May 7, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    fla taco

fla taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Dblcab TRD OR
    Awesome job!!! I think black fender flares would set that off and tie it all together!! Looks sweet man!

6. May 7, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    chris duby

chris duby This is where I write something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Premium
    6" Lift, 22x12 Xtreme Force XF8 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers...
    Looks nice! I've never been a fan of chrome at all so I'm loving what you've done!

What's next on the list?

7. May 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    VinnyMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Buda, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner DC LB
    Thanks fellas! I actually did one fender flare just to see would it would look like and with only running 265's it made my tire look a little smaller so I decided to leave it alone. Just by taking off the running boards my neighbors were already asking if I had lifted the truck.

Next definitely will be Billsteins and tint but I did want to ask while on the subject of suspension if I get 5100's on the front do I need to do AAL's on the rear. I only have 3 leafs on the back and they seem a little weak with loads.

Thanks!

8. May 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    Ugly Betty

Ugly Betty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    1985 ex cab, 92 toyota pickup, 95 4runner
  9. May 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Looks a lot better!

10. May 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    VinnyMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Buda, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner DC LB
    It's on brotha- nothing's stopping me from getting scratched off the PI list!!!

11. May 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    VinnyMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Buda, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner DC LB
    That's funny as hell, I posted this thread last night and the thread "Ugliest Colors" hits boards again with DSM at the top of the list. Not my first pick of colors but damn is it really the fugliest!!!

12. May 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    byrd

byrd Unknown

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    '06 Access SR5 4x4 6 speed
    I don't think it is since I own one. I get lots of compliments on it from lots of females :cool:

13. May 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    AnotherRuralJuror

AnotherRuralJuror Member

Member:
    My truck is also DSM. I think it is a fine color, and the black wheel contrast looks sweet.

14. May 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    not a dsm fan, but that's clearly better than stock. Nice work!

15. May 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    VinnyMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Buda, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner DC LB
    Thanks for the comments! Now just need to get some money together to get the suspension going. This damn website!

16. Jan 25, 2014 at 5:31 AM
    skb7527

skb7527 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4X4
    Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT tires with America Outlaw Sheriff wheels, Bilstein 5100s all the way around, OME coils, Toytech ICONS HD leafs, debadged, removed pin stipe, chopped tail pipe, weather tech floor mats, Leer color match topper, Toyota bed mat, homemade eight ball gear shifter and 4XInnovations weld on sliders
    DSM was not my first choice either, but one I added black to it I started to like it more.
    My wife wants me to paint the flares black, but I just havent gotten around to it. I'm sure I'll do it either with plasti dip or bedliner...
    Your truck looks good!

17. Jan 27, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    VinnyMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Buda, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner DC LB

Thanks brotha! I'm slacking on this thread and will get it going due to the fact that I've done more than the pics show. I'll try to get those in soon!

18. Jan 27, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    VinnyMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Buda, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner DC LB
    *PROGRESSION PICS FROM LAST FEW MONTHS UNTIL 2014*
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm going to throw it all in here on what I have been doing lately to get where I am. Here is goes!

First- 5100's done with Youtube tutorial video....very easy! I'm handy with tools but didn't have knowledge of controls arms and stuff like that until I educated myself doing this on my own. Followed that up with SpiderTrax.

[​IMG]

Then I knew I wanted to do a Homertoshi grill so I started to relocate the horns and paint the radiator.

[​IMG]

I bought a used grill from a member on here (thanks LoneRanger!) and began to cut it up deciding on the thin-lip. I bought the M3 mesh from Craig aka HomerTaco. *GUYS YOU WILL HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR CRAIG IF YOU HAVE EVER DONE ONE OF THESE GRILLS*. I could only imagine how much of a bitch it would be to do the 12'+ grills!!

from this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to this!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty damn proud of myself. Most difficult for me but most rewarding! So as you can see I have Hella Black Magic 500's in there and weren't my first choice of lights but that's what I got from my wife for Christmas and rolled with them. Here's a pic adjusting them on the garage. For some reason in the pic they look like beams!!! lol

[​IMG]

Then after months of waiting got my Brute Force Hybrid in. Billy knocked it out the park with the custom cutout. No matter where I'm at I have people give me nice comments on it.....well maybe some of the Sooners and Aggies won't but that's cool with me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are some pics of other mods like my stickers, custom bed mat, D-rings, and bottle opener!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now how she sits one year later to date when I started overall:

[​IMG]

19. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    Bennett4

Bennett4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Colorado/Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4
    Truck looks awesome!! Love that bumper man..very cool. What did you use to make that bed mat?

20. Jan 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    VinnyMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Buda, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07' PreRunner DC LB

Thanks man - It's actually 2 pieces of interlocking rubber flooring that we sale at work that I had a couple of pieces left over from. Pretty close to the mats you can buy at Tractor Supply.

Products Discussed in

To Top