1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips and tricks for lots of travel

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Aw9d, May 9, 2013.

1. May 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d [OP] That one guy

Member:
    I got a promotion at work that will require me to travel. Up to 3 weeks out of the month.

With this being said what are the best tips/tricks/gadgets that you must have to travel?

So far this is what I've got:

GPS
    Neck Pillow
    Good noise cancelling head phones
    Sleeping pills
    mp3 player
    Tablet

2. May 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Here and there. Sometimes.
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    I would suggest finding a bag that you really like, like a carry on. One that lets you easily access everything you want. like a G.O.O.D. bag. Makes things less stressfull when you need to find something quickly.

3. May 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    Depend on where you're heading to...

4. May 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    RiverBoyTRD

RiverBoyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR
    2 Hellas, 3 inch, spiders, grill guard, 285's, BHLM etc.
    Slip on shoes and stretchy pants

5. May 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d [OP] That one guy

Member:
    Everywhere in the US. Nowhere outside of the US.

6. May 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    Some cash just in case....you needs something in a hurry....

7. May 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    A tablet or a smaller laptop. Good luck opening up a 20" laptop on an airliner. My 13" is pretty good. The PSvita is nice the battery lasts 9+ hours of continuous use too.

Also I know you said you have noise canceling headphones. But I swear by Bose QC15s. I had mine for over a year had an issue and they replaced it for free anyways after the manufacturers warranty expired.

Also, get a nice portfolio/organizer for receipts and expenses. They also have this thing called neat receits. Which is basically a portable scanner and a program that organizes them. I don't have it but am considering getting one.

Another one is a good backpack, with good support straps for the long days walking around. The type you can strap around your waist, I have a smaller Oakley that actually looks pretty good.

Rewards cards! Sign up for them all and they are normally free!

Hope these help I will probably think of more.

8. May 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d [OP] That one guy

Member:
    Good call on the portfolio/organizer! I have to keep all my receipts so that's a really good idea as I may not be back in the office for 3 weeks.

I'll check out the bose QC15s.

Also didn't think of the rewards cards.. I'll start signing up now! Good tips.

As for my MP3 players I use old Android cell phones and strip out all the Cell radio so I can get about 10hours of music non-stop and 20+ days of standby on a charge. Haven't found anything that works better for MP3 than an old cell. Don't think I'd play video games much but I'll look into those as well.

9. May 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    LED light swap, TRD wheels, KO2s, C4Fab lo-pro
    Avoid checking a bag, if you can.

grab 3 bins at TSA checkpoint. put your shoes, wallet in your heel of the shoes, belt, ticket, iphone, all in 1 bin. Second bin gets your laptop/ipad. third bin gets toiletries. Then load your carry on. on the end of it. This will make it easy for you load up after walking through and not forget anything.

10. May 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Pop 1/2 of one of these 1 hour before I want to fall asleep and out I go.

[​IMG]

11. May 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Join airline and hotel reward programs. Might as well get points on the companies dime.

12. May 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    JayDirt

JayDirt I owe it all to little chocolate donuts

Member:
    If you need to check a bag and are worried about losing it or shit being stolen, buy a starters pistol and when you check it, tell them you have a locked unloaded weapon in your bag. They are required to put a special TSA lock on your bag, and no way in hell it's going to get misplaced or fiddled with.

Good headphones are nice to drown out passengers around you!

Airline miles are nice, but don't sit on them...I upgrade to first class if it's worth it.

A couple of 3.4 ounce containers for liquid are nice if you like to have mixed drinks during your flight!

Fluff & Folds are great for long trips, check the areas out that you are traveling too. They usually charge by the pound and you can drop off and pick up later = less clothing to pack.

Above all, the most important item you need is patience...so much shit can go wrong!

The more control you can get over your items, the better. I used to carry a change of clothes in my back pack, just in-case the airline fucked up.

A lot of times while traveling, I've run out of toothpaste. What I've found is that if you go down to the front desk and ask, they will give you at no charge, a new travel size tube. Same goes for razors etc.

If you can, try to stay at Embassy Suites, they have a free breakfast and a happy hour (managers reception) which runs for a couple hours...I find this to be my best tip!

More edits as tips come to me...

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  13. May 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    NC
    Vehicle:
    10 taco
    I travel for work. Here's what I have grown to love. Get a bag that has lots of compartments. I use a ping backpack that I can store everything in and in the same pockets EVERY time which is a must cause getting shit out on a plane sucks. Also learn to pack only the necessities so u don't have to check anything. I can pack for 4 nights in a bookbag and carry on case. iPad or tablet is a must. I carry both a laptop and a iPad. I load a few movies on my iPad that aren't on netflix or hbo go or sites like that. Buy the wifi on the plane and ur good to go. Noise canceling headphones r def a plus. And travel comfortable if u can. It's much better. If u have work/meetings straight off the flight u really can't but take advantage if u can. On and no guns bombs and well now u can carry a knife. Tsa guys r brilliant. Hope this helps.

14. May 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my buddy travels alot!! when we go to do some track day..it is clear to me that he is the smarter traveler. first his luggage is truly compartmentalized. he has smaller bags inside his carry on. for example, his toiletries are in some bag it takes out and hangs in the bathroom. it is always ready to go. it is all fit inside a carry on bag. and this bag rolls. being all macho and carrying a duffel is retarded. he moves thru an airport fast.

and he touts the benefit of fiber pills. you eat junk on the road..junk will plug your ass up.

15. May 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d [OP] That one guy

Member:
    Great ideas everyone! Thank you, keep them coming!

Also, good call on the fiber pills! haha. That's one thing that I'd never think of getting but you are totally right.

To Top