1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on the Body Armor 4x4 Bumper & TireGate

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SilverTacoZack, May 19, 2013.

1. May 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    So i've recently finished install of the Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper with the optional TireGate on my dad's 2nd gen.

Here's a few of my observations:

-The quality of the bumper and components is top notch
    -The finish is a bed-liner like texture which looks great
    -The instructions could be better but were sufficient
    -The bumper was, overall, quite easy to install
    -The tiregate holds a 34 inch KM2 with no problems

To elaborate on a few of these points, the bumper itself was really pretty easy to install. Just removed the bolts going into the tow hitch and the 4 bolts holding it on and pulled off the old bumper. I had to spray some lubricant to get the factory bumper off because it had some rust going on.

After that, you install the supplied Body Armor brackets into old mounting holes, and then you bolt the new bumper to those brackets, through the d-ring holders (if using the bumper without the carrier), or as I found out later, through the hinge pieces which hold up the tire gate assembly.

The instructions could definitely use some improvement. For one, they don't mention that if you are going to be installing the TireGate at the same time, that you will not use the D-Ring holders but instead the hinge pieces that come with the TireGate. This meant I ended up having to pretty much re-install the bumper when I got the TireGate part.

Also, on the TireGate's instructions, the diagram of the bearing assembly is upside down. Beyond this, you have to press the races for the bearing into the assembly, which I had to take to a machine shop to get down. It seems like this could have been done at the factory. After that step, though, it was quite simple to complete the install.

One other minor complaint is that the latch that holds the tiregate shut was very difficult to get adjusted correctly. According to the instructions, its supposed to take 25 lbs of force to shut it when "adjusted properly", however I could never get it to that point. I got it to a sufficient enough point and have a bungie cord I keep on there to make sure the handle cannot open when I don't want it to.

All in all, pretty pleased with the final product, just wish they could improve the instructions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jun 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    sciencerabbit

sciencerabbit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner
    looking at buying this bumper to replace my bumper that was bent by a tow strap.

Do you have lighting on your licence plate? If so what did you use and can you post a detail shot of it?

3. Jun 21, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    I do have a light for my licence plate.

I used this: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Bol...qid=1371815664&sr=1-16&keywords=ijdmtoy+plate

Besides the wires being kind of tiny (had to bend over the wires a few times to get them thick enough to hold), it was quite easy to install. I just hooked them into the wires that go to the stock license plate light plugs, which are unplugged at the beginning of the process of removing the factory bumper. It works quite well and no issues seeing my licence plate at night. Note that if you are getting the tiregate piece and have a tire larger than 35 inch it might obscur the plate itself. The tire in the picture shown is a 34 inch KM2 and just has enough room.

WP_20130505_010.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  4. Jun 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    sciencerabbit

sciencerabbit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner
    Thanks!

No tire rack for me, I still have stock wheels and tires. Any thoughts on how the bumper looks without the rack?

5. Jun 22, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    I actually thought it looked better without the tirerack on. Its definitely easy to install if you don't have to put the rack on as well. Pretty much a few bolts and then the new brackets

6. Apr 10, 2015 at 5:39 PM
    SC2TAHOETACOMA

SC2TAHOETACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Santa Cruz
    Here is one without rack.

20150409_182253_d7d617274cf61e47397ce86b94bc27616487aaca.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top