1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N FILTER

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Matt47025, May 21, 2013.

1. May 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    Matt47025

Matt47025 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Near Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2020 Sport
    I just bought a 2013 reg cab 4cyl Tacoma. Is there anyone out there that has installed a K&N air intake? If so what were the results????

Thanks,

2. May 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    06 tacoma owner

06 tacoma owner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Madisonville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    Stock...for now
    Cold air intakes do not add any horsepower just makes a lot of noise. I would recommend the afe pro dry S drop in filter.

3. May 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    I got 97 tacoma, 2.4 . Personally, I likes KN filters cool Air Intake, it give me an extra horsepower( No scientific test were performed) a quicker respond,not that loud. I also likes good gas mileage.

4. May 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    pmbazus

pmbazus Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    I have a 2012 Reg Cab 4 cyl. I had a K&N intake but I didn't like the way it sounded plus it is not a cold air intake. I tried a K&N drop in filter and I liked it. I now have a Volant intake and I like it. May not add HP but I like the way it sounds. I have a K&N drop in and a Afe ProDry drop in for the 2.7 I am going to sell. Both are like new.

5. May 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM
    4x4 Ralph

4x4 Ralph Africa is not for sissies!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Southern Germany....nearby Stuttgart
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma access cab 4l auto, BMW X3 3l aut
    3" higher 2" spacers black bumper and front grill oil catch can rear diff breather mod TRD seat covers seat heating system LEER tonneau cover and and and
    sorry...I don't want to be the wise guy....I just like to share my experiences with K&N filters that I use since 15 or more years ( a part of my job is to investigate technical related vehicle accidents and break downs):

cold air intake:
    this is in most cases just a name and doesn't give the engine colder air...it makes more (noise) impression but doesn't improve the power...especially driving too fast through deep(er) water on the road may cause under bad circumstances that the engine sucks in water which may end up in the intake manifold....don't need to explain what that means...the engine is under bad circumstanced just dead!

drop in filters:
    increases the response time (especially with turbo/super charged systems) based on a lower gas floating resistance...
    but
    you buy that increase with a worse filter ability...I have seen engines using K&N filters for some 100.000km and one (or more) cylinder(s) were 'washed' out by the little 'grinding' particles that the filter is not able to take out

I am living in Africa and I know what I am talking about

My suggestion:

K&N drop in air filter, raised air intake and a cyclon air filter that takes out those small 'sand/grinding' particles...and you are on the safe side

see the 2 examples attached

airintake.jpg
    airintake landy.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  6. May 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    If you drive it about 5-7k Rpm range then it does add power

7. May 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM
    4x4 Ralph

4x4 Ralph Africa is not for sissies!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Southern Germany....nearby Stuttgart
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma access cab 4l auto, BMW X3 3l aut
    3" higher 2" spacers black bumper and front grill oil catch can rear diff breather mod TRD seat covers seat heating system LEER tonneau cover and and and
    air intake system are very well calculated and designed
    it depends on the altitude (ambient pressure), temperature, RPM and power demand how effective these different air filter (cold air intake) systems work

for sure you will sense a raised power/torque in certain RPM areas...over the whole RPM range it is very hard to prove - under scientific laboratory conditions ... on a dynanometer...defined pressure and temperature conditions etc etc

basically I agree...otherwise I wouldn't use those drop in filters myself...just very difficult to make a suggestion suitable for all possible circumstances

;)

8. May 22, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    FLAJIM

FLAJIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Daytona Beach, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 2WD
    ARE tonneau cover, Electric Pop & Lock tail gate, 2 lighter plugs in bed, Reese hitch/ factory wiring, OEM Bed Extender and fog lights.
    If you still have the AFE, PM me I am interested Thanks JIM

9. May 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    On An Island

On An Island Assimilated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Houston-ish
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5160 reservoir rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 height-adjustable front shocks, SuperSpring SSA19 leafs, Westin bull bar, KC Apollo Pro 6" spotlights, Leer 100XQ cap, K&N air filter, AntennaX 13" Euro antenna, tailgate washers, spare tire tool guide, Console Vault, FJ silver wheel caps
    I've used K&N air filters for many years on multilple cars. I cannot say they increase hp or torque or make you look better. But they work, they last and it's one area you won't have to worry about on your car.

10. May 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    DocsTacoma

DocsTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCSB 4WD //TRD Sport
    BFG Mud-Terrains, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry-S Air Filter, Flyzeye Interior LED Light Bar, Bilstein 5100's (Front @ 1.75"), Firestone Ride Rite Air Bag System, Avid Light Bar
    +1

11. May 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    They work at what?

Products Discussed in

To Top