1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loose Sway bar bushing , grinding into my tire !

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 05BDS, May 22, 2013.

1. May 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    05BDS

05BDS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD 4door Tacoma
    6 inch BDS lift 35x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers 18x20 KMC Rockstars
    Hey whats up guys, recently just did the wheel bearings on my yota, its an 05 4 door with a 6 inch BDS lift, and 35x12.5 tires. I know , the tires are big and that's where my problems lie, but I don't mind replacing things and getting to learn how to fix stuff on my truck !

So the problem is with my sway bar. The sway bar bushings that run vertical with the tire are loose. And when I come to a stop , or go around a corner, both of the sway bar links grind into my tire. Both of the rubber bushings on the top and bottom look pretty mangled, little bits of rubber hangings off, and when you grab onto it , it moves around pretty good ( nothings crazy, about 1-2 cm ) Also, same with the actual sway bar, its a little loose too, but again nothing crazy, maybe a cm TOPS.

Any suggestions ? Should I just take the sway bar off ( I know, its meant for body roll, to counter-act corners, and because the manufacturer installs it dosent mean you should blah blah blah... No im not a suspension guru.

Or should I just pickup a set of new bushing , because that's where my problem lies ( both bushings are shot. ) And install them ? Will that fix my problem?

Or do I need a Whole new sway bar assembly ( sway bar, hardware, bushings + links etc )

Or......

Should I just say F it and go with these Any input is greatly appreciated, my baby sits while I wait for someone who knows what the hell their talking about, for god sakes my friend though it was something to do with the power steering pump, we laughed at his expense. :cool:

2. May 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Most on here will say to just ditch the sway bar, lifted truck anyways not a sportscar.

I have a front and rear bar on mine and like it to handle but I am only lifted 1.5 inch.

3. May 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    05BDS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD 4door Tacoma
    Its my daily driver, I want to stay away from wheel spacers. Last time I checked I would have to lengthen the splines , because of the 35's. Hm.... decisions decisions...

4. May 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    If your worried, disconnect sway end link, tie sway bar out of way so you can drive it and see how it feels to you.

Issue with taking it off the whole way is the two front brackets that bolt to the frame are common to have the bolts brake off in the frame and turns into a large job to fix.

They make hub centric high quality wheel spacers from 3/4" to 2.5" they bolt up using stock studs but have additional studs on the spacer to bolt the wheel to.

I run 3/4" spacers. Work great.

5. May 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    I know I don't own a 2nd gen Tacoma, but when I removed the sway bar from mine the ride actually improved in my opinion.

Like others have said, remove it, drive it down the road and if you like it just keep it off.

6. May 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Yes, it will improve and let the suspension act independently, but in a quick left/right avoidance maneuver, its a lil hairy.

Ill never throw mine back on tho......speaking of, I gotta trash it still.

7. May 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yeah, I make quite a few fast/tight turns in my truck. Just how I drive. But I would assume going 70 and having to make a quick turn would be more dangerous without the sway bar.

I still have mine... Need to figure out what I want to do with it.

8. May 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    05BDS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD 4door Tacoma
    Hm, yeah seems like everyone is favoring the removal, my truck is my daily driver, and I do drive it a lot, highway/city. I max go is 120km/h ! Canadian speed limits are WAY lower than your guy's , lucky to see 100km/h. Im gonna take It off tomorrow and see how I like the ride

9. May 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    in a truck as high as yours, you may want to keep it on. removing mine stock was cool, and having it off still is good with the 1.5-2" lift, but the stiffer coils counter act the body roll anyways. replace the bushings, and get the tire away

Products Discussed in

To Top