1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody know how to hook up LEDs to AC?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Riverdog, May 22, 2013.

1. May 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I think this is the appropriate forum... Maybe I'll post this in the lighting forum if I don't get a response here.

I'm working on converting an old record player into a clock and adding some LEDs. I've done this once before, but the record player I used before was in better condition than the one I have now. And on that one I just tapped into the existing wiring to power the LEDs. This was my end result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ALSO! If you know how to make the hands of the clock light up I'd love to hear it!

So moving on, on this second record player, I used a DMM on various locations to try and find a good power source for the LEDs. However, the highest voltage I can find is about 2.6, which I don't think is enough. Also, nothing will work on the record player: the turn table won't turn and the motorized arm doesn't work. Unlike my previous project, my plan this time is to bypass the existing wiring and put in my own. And this is where I need some help.

I don't want to mess with batteries to power the LEDs. I'd like to be able to plug this thing into the wall, flip a switch, and have the LEDs turn on. So if I'm understanding things correctly, I'll need a transformer to make this happen? :confused: So I'm thinking it would go like this: power cord to transformer, then transformer to LEDs/resistors. Is that right? I keep reading about transformers and wattage and then I get more confused.

This is the transformer I'm thinking of getting.
    This is the switch I'm thinking of getting.
    These are the LEDs I already have. I plan on using 24 of them for this project.
    These are the resistors I already have.

I used the calculator on led.linear1.org to get this and plan on wiring the LEDs this way:
    [​IMG]

I basically don't know for sure if I can wire the LEDs safely this way. Can a very wise member with vast knowledge and great experience help me out on this please? Also, can I use the transformer and dimming switch I picked out?

2. May 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    :eek: thats neat.

3. May 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Thanks! I'm using a Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2 for this one so it should look a lot more, "neat."

Here's a Beogram RX2
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. May 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Oh cool. I really like the idea of making things useful again.

5. May 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    I don't think AC will power the LEDs, so you'll probably have to either construct or purchase a rectifier. If you're not familiar with them, they are 4 diodes that take the AC voltage and turn that into DC voltage. This would occur after the transformer has taken the 120V AC down to 12V AC as the link you provided should do. At this point, you should now have DC voltage coming from the rectifier, I'm not sure if this would be 12V DC or something less than that.

6. May 24, 2013 at 2:54 AM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    You can get a 12V power supply from eBay for about 6 bucks. Roughly the size of a pack of smokes, so it should fit inside, too.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. May 24, 2013 at 3:10 AM
    BeeRadd

BeeRadd Bought not built.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB LT 4x4
    I'm doing some home LED strip lighting. To power the 12v dc led strips Im going to use a 110vac to 12vdc converter and wire it straight to the lights. Mine, and yours, shouldn't pull more than 500ma. So i think all you need is a 110vac to 12vdc 500ma converter. im sure you could find an old charger for something laying around and strip it. just read it's sepcs.

8. May 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Thanks guys! After reading through everything here and otther places online I've decided to get one of those LED strips off Amazon like BeeRad has. I think that will be the easiest way to accomplish this. Thanks for the help!!

9. Jun 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    So I finally finished. I ended up going with an LED strip off of Amazon. The strip is RGB LEDs so I can make just about any color I want. Here are some pictures for those of you that are interested. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jun 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    alwaysfaded

alwaysfaded Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    08 Black taco, 5 spd.
    blacked out tint, k&n drop in, removed secondary filter, kenwood 7" touchscreen, 12" memphis audio sub, 1000 watt amp, Alpine type R conponets
    Dude, thats cool, looks nice

Products Discussed in

To Top