1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP! Stuck on ReadyLift install & it's almost dark!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CaliforniaTaco, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    CaliforniaTaco

CaliforniaTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm stuck on the part where I'm supposed to "rotate the top of the strut 120 degrees so that when you install it the bracket on the bottom of the strut is back in the stock location."

I cannot figure out how to rotate the top of the strut. Do I need a spring compressor?

2. Jun 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Mount it so that the little "Dimple" on the spring pearch is tward the rear of the truck.

3. Jun 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    CaliforniaTaco

Member:
    Here's the problem I am having:

Here is the strut assembly in the OEM position with the spacer attached:

[​IMG]

But the strut assembly has to be rotated in order for the new bolt pattern to line up on the top plate, so in the new position it looks like this:

[​IMG]

but in doing this the bracket on the strut that holds the brake line is moved to the rear:

[​IMG]

The instructions simply say "rotate the top of the strut 120 degrees" -- I've yanked and pulled with various tools and this thing will not rotate. Do I need a spring compressor to take the tension off the top plate and just rotate the entire strut back to the front-facing position?

4. Jun 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    try it on the other side? It's been a year since I replaced my struts with coil overs, so my memory is foggy at best. Doesn't that perch just rotate without the strut body moving?

good luck

5. Jun 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    Man you are doing that the hard way. You didn't need to take the UCA off, you didn't need to detach the spindle either.
    Did you inadvertently buy a 6lug spacer instead of a 5 lug?

6. Jun 4, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    CaliforniaTaco

Member:
    Just following the manufacturer instructions, which do say to take all that stuff out http://www.readylift.com/files/instructions/69-5510 Instructions.pdf

7. Jun 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    mr.g

mr.g gRenade Taco

Member:
    SoCal- I.E.
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab Taco
    BHLM, Readylift Kit, Smoked TailLights, 31" M/T R
    Sorry Im replying so late. I too had this same problem at 1st.

-Match up the 3 studs of the top of the Strut to the top mount. Lightly bolt it up. Dont tighten the 3 bolts all the way.
    -Now take a strong thick and semi-long screwdriver and put it through the bottom hole of the strut where the bolt would normally go. Grab both ends of the screwdriver and twist the strut until it matches up where its supposed to bolt in with the bracket for the brake line in the right place.
    -You gotta put a little force into it, but the strut should turn pretty easily with a little muscle.

Good luck man.
    PM me with your number if need some more help. Its easier to describe verbally.

8. Jun 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    TIM GAINOUS

TIM GAINOUS Well-Known Member

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    tints,venvisors,low pro toolbox, readylift sst ,afe pro dry,dynomax muffler,sec air filter removed. jvc aresenal, with rear jvc 6x9's front blaupunkts.
    didya get it? im doin mine tommorow and was wonderin about the same thing. seems easy enough tho since mrg explained it

9. Jun 4, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    CaliforniaTaco

Member:
    I'm gonna try again saturday, supposed to rain here any minute

10. Jun 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    tints,venvisors,low pro toolbox, readylift sst ,afe pro dry,dynomax muffler,sec air filter removed. jvc aresenal, with rear jvc 6x9's front blaupunkts.
    mines dsm also ill post pics when im done. (hopefully tommorrow)

11. Jun 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    i cheated i got one corner done. at least the struts back in. had to leave they were closin the shop will finish tommorrow. i left it hangin on a lift next door with the wheels off. drip dryin( its rainin here.) the service guy hadda go at 5.30. i went next door we had it apart i 5 min. i cheated further by usin a spring compressor to slightly ease pressue, but you can do it like mrg said. i had put it on the lift right in front of the strut compressor just in case. ill finish tommorow. at least the front will be done with any luck ill get alignment tommorrow.i still dont have my tires mounted and balanced just got the last of the wheels today

12. Jun 6, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    mr.g

mr.g gRenade Taco

Member:
    SoCal- I.E.
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab Taco
    How did it turn out? are u running into any other problems?

13. Jun 9, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    What happened with your lift? I got mine done off to alignment shop tommorow. Didnt do rear not sure if i need to. It sits down a little with 6 tires n wheels and a tool box full a tools in the back (prob 350 lbs) gonna drive and see

14. Jun 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    CaliforniaTaco

Member:
    Hey guys sorry I've been crazy busy at work. I finished the front install, ended up just taking both strut assemblies to Big O and had them rotate the struts so the bracket was facing the correct way.

BUT I have also found a problem in the rear leaf spring install: The factory bolt that slips through all the leaf springs slides up inside the rear axle when it rests on the leaf springs. However the new bolt in the readylift kit is too big to slide into the axle, so when installed the axle rests on the head of this bolt and not the entire leaf spring. I know this might be hard to picture, but I'll snap some photos when I get off work tonight...

15. Jun 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    Cool id like to see another desert sand lifted. Mines the only one ive seen so far. I went with alloys instead of black for the same money basically. Ill prob regret it later. Will put up pics when i get ahold of a camera.

16. Jun 10, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    Shaydog

Shaydog Got the itch!

Member:
    Raincity BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab 4x4
    OME885's, Toytec Top Plate Spacers, OME N140S, OME N182, TSB AAL's. 265/75R16 Interco TrXus MT's, IGGEE Seat Covers, Bed Mat, Tow Pkg, LEER Legend Cap, Pop-n-Lock, Hi-Lift with custom bed rail mount, Window Vent Visors. Grillcraft, Daystar Driving Lights.
  17. Jun 10, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    Mine rubs best way to remove black boxes???????? Its a 100 degrees here i dont wanna lay on the ground any longer than i hafta

18. Jun 11, 2009 at 1:02 AM
    mr.g

mr.g gRenade Taco

Member:
    SoCal- I.E.
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab Taco
    I posted this a few weeks back and I had the Same problem with the rear. If you can, get a dremel and widen the holes little by little just enough for the new heads on the bolts fit through.
    *Also I'd like to metion the Black Metal plate that goes underneath the axle that the U-bolts to has the same issue. The top hole, where the Bottom nut (of the Bolt that goes through the leaf Springs) is also too big for the factory size hole, so that needs to be widen as well with the dremel.
    *Sorry if I'm not explaing that well, I dont have any pics which would make it alot easier.
    HOPE THIS HELPS...:D

19. Jun 15, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    hey cali taco did u eve[​IMG]r finish?

20. Jun 17, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    mr.g

mr.g gRenade Taco

Member:
    SoCal- I.E.
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab Taco
    Truck looks good!
    I was lookin at some of your other pics and did you install the AAL in the rear? It might be the angle of the pic, but mine looks like it sits a little higher than yours in the rear.

Products Discussed in

To Top