1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relentless Fab rear bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spruceTacoma, May 26, 2013.

1. May 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    spruceTacoma

spruceTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    12 sr5 stock
    Hey guys so im debating getting a relentless fab rear bumper but cant decide between the high clearance or the stock height bumper. I love the look of the high clearance but i dont know how i feel about cutting up my new pick up. Just wondering if anyone had any insight on how much actually needs to be removed to fit the high clearance and if anyone has either the high clearance or stock height bumper mounted maybe they could post some pics and any pluses or minuses of either version. Thanks.

2. May 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The cuts:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369590389.695884.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369590375.057795.jpg

The HC bumper:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369590455.712808.jpg

Just take your time with the cuts to limit heat and use tape to try and keep the paint in the best shape you can.

I love my HC bumper w/ the tire gate. Tons of clearance, wicked solid, and sharp looking. I'm adding some Delrin sliders for the locking pin and latch on the swing out to try and prevent rusting.

3. May 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Why are you buying the bumper?

I'm pretty hard pressed to think of a practical reason that you'd need an armored rear bumper that doesn't also involve needing high clearance.

4. May 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    spruceTacoma

spruceTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    12 sr5 stock
    I think everyone needs an armored rear bumper to replace the horrid oem bumper on the truck. But I've already had the dealership replace my stock bumper due to rust and I dented it by simply backing into a snow bank at low speed. Im just looking for something durable that i dont have to worry about if i nudge a tree or a stone wall or something while wheeling.

5. May 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    I ended up needing to make an additional cut - something roughly like this:

[​IMG]

Didn't you?

6. May 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OK, so for perspective: I wheel my truck *very* carefully. I'm usually slower and more cautious, and more ready to give up and turn around than just about any other TW member on the trail.

That said, I came back from Moab with a dent in the bottom of the passenger side rear fender quarter panel from driving off a "step" and slamming the exhaust pipe up into the quarter panel, denting it.

I hammered it out, bondo'd, sand and touch up paint for a "pretty good" repair that nobody but me would ever notice.

Then I came back from slick rock trail with the same thing. (...plus a couple minor tiny dings in the bumper itself...) At that point, I knew I needed an HC bumper.

So, if you're already going on the roads and trails you want to drive on and don't need additional clearance - I'd say just go with the regular height bumper then.

7. May 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    thanks for adding to my "want" list. that is really slick with the swing out tire carrier. . . . im never gunna be able to buy a bigger house lol

8. May 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    High clearance unless you're not gonna wheel

9. May 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Greytacoma1

Greytacoma1 Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma dc lb
    Satoshi grill, Plasti derp, Ready lift kit, Wheelers 2 inch aal, Hella 700, Wheather tech floor mats, Blueinstinct armrest cover, sockmonkey bed decal, BHLM, debadge, 35% tint front windows, OEM roof rack, OEM step bar, TRD skid plate, tacomaworld.com decal, stock antenna trimed, gorilla extended lug nuts,diff breather mod, cab mount chop, AVS window visor, spidertrax 1.25 wheel spacers, toytec sway bar relocate, extra d ring mod
    Dam... That hurted. It's like seeing someone get kicked in the balls. I got no skills in doing this. I would have to close my eyes and let someone else do it. HC bumper looks good by the way

10. May 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's not that bad. Someone else actually cut mine, but it was because it was his tools. I made the lines and set it all up.

And it is TOTALLY worth it!!!

11. May 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    No, i dont beleive anyone sends templates. Its real easy though. I did mine in no time at all

12. May 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I used a cut off wheel on an angle grinder. But yeah I just taped a line, pretty much level with the tail light and went to town. Then I used a little touch up paint and some weatherstrip or whatever the hell, and slapped it on there and called it a day!

I think some people have used air body saws. You could try a scroll saw, theres plenty of area to practice :D

13. May 27, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    X2 - My buddy used a 3 inch air die grinder. I put a level on the line even with the bottom of the tail lights and went for it. I won't call it lucky - but I was in an accident after I made the cuts, so the body shop is doing a little extra work for me and painting the edges....

Products Discussed in

To Top