1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mudding in 1/10th Scale

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Jason'sLawnCare, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Jun 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare [OP] Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I was bored so I headed out and did a little offroading with my Duratrax Evader St. It sure is going to be alot easier to clean than the Taco would have been if it looked like that. The pic of the Taco is about the most mud it's had on it unfortunatly, but I hope to change that this weekend. Anyways enough of the talk heres the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My personal favorite out of the batch.

[​IMG]

2. Jun 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    usctacoma

usctacoma Be a thinker, not a stinker

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 Doublecab
    Tint, Black Badges, Firestone Destination 265-70-17s, Weathertech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey decals, Flowmaster 40, Defiant light bar, 4 5" PIAA 540s, BHLM, 5100s @ .85, eibach springs, 1/4" Toytec spacer, 2" Toytec AAL, painted grill, UWS tool box
    do you race those things?

3. Jun 17, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch

Nah. I just like to play around. I prefer on the dirt but I also have a Traxxas nitro 4 tec for the road.

4. Jun 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Cool Evader ST, I once worked in a hobby store for about five years and those trucks are good trucks for anyone starting out or someone that wants a good cheap truck.
    Make sure to try to avoid any water, I had a lot of customers come in with those cars that had bad Rx because of going through water. I would suggest getting a large balloon and covering up that Rx and then zip tie it off. Or Traxxas sells a good balloon type cover that they use on the Rustler, stampede and others. But anyways have fun! :cool:

5. Jun 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    yeah I was avoiding the water and just playing in the semi wet mud nothing too crazy. my hobby shop warned me about water. Yeah the Evader was what started it all for me. It's about 5 years old if I remember correctly. I've done some things like regear it and I have a 19 turn motor in there. I have a 7 cell 3000 battery but it's dead. so I ran with the 6 cell today.

Thanks for the compliment.

6. Jun 17, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    BakoTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Cool, well it sounds like you know the right things to know. Those 7 cells are cool, they give your car some much needed power but they can cost a lot more. What happened with it, did it finally bug out after a bunch of charges?
    Those aftermarket 19 turn motors are usually bullet proof, I would always recommend those for evader owners coming into the shop. They would give some more power, but also not burn up the ESC. So good choice!
    I have a gas Evader ST, for the most part I like it. It has the OS .18 in it and it goes!!!! But also those Traxxas cars and trucks with the 3.3's haul the mail!

7. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah the 7 cell is just old and won't hold a charge worth crap.

I wish mine was gas cuz then I could enjoy it longer. My nitro 4 tec is older 2.5 but yeah it's fast. I've never actually gotten to top speed.

Do you think I could throw on some rally tires and get the 4 tec in the dirt or do you think it wouldn't work too well and maybe get a rock stuck in the gears or something?

Have you done anything to your evader? any pics?

8. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Cool post!
    i am looking to sell my nitro cars.. Just no time for them. : (

9. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    usctacoma

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tint, Black Badges, Firestone Destination 265-70-17s, Weathertech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey decals, Flowmaster 40, Defiant light bar, 4 5" PIAA 540s, BHLM, 5100s @ .85, eibach springs, 1/4" Toytec spacer, 2" Toytec AAL, painted grill, UWS tool box
    oh. i was just checkin. my brother and his friend are big names in that industry. you probably dont know them if you dont do much racing then.

10. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    No i don't keep up with the racing. That's pretty cool though that they race. Do you know what cars they use or have any pics? Probably hpi, they seem to be popular in the racing.

11. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    usctacoma

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    the big thing now is 1/8. my brother is sponsored by losi and runs the e8ght series for them. dont have any personal pics but ill see if i can dig some up for ya on google.

12. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    usctacoma

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    dupree.jpg
    thats my brother. not sure when it was taken but those are the main cars he runs.

13. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    BakoTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I don't think it would work out that well. I haven't heard of a lot of guys running those in the dirt. We have a dirt oval track at the shop I worked at and I think I remember some guys racing it but they could not get it to hook up very well. Most guys run the Associated gas TC3 or electric TC4 on dirt oval track racing. I don't hear a lot of guys running sedan type cars casually in the dirt because of the small ride heights and rocks.
    But you could try it, I wouldn't worry too much about getting rocks stuck in the clutch bell/spur gears. It can happen once and a while and it can tear up the gears but that's just gas cars! It will mostly happen with 1/8th scale trucks and buggys. If I had a 4 Tec I would probably just keep it on the road, that's where I'm going to have the most fun.

Sorry no pics, it's mostly stock. I have upgraded the bottom engine bolts since the stock bolts suck and strip easy. I have also put on some pro-line Gladiator tires on and I think they are some of the best tires I have used in the dirt with this truck. I also have put some stiffer shock oil in and I do a little jumping with it. :D

14. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    usctacoma

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    ofnajamminproto01.jpg
    this is actually his friends car, adam drake, but its the same car my brothers runs too. this is the 1/8 series.

15. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    That's pretty sweet that he's got sponsor and all.

16. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:

Oh so he runs the gassers not nitro. Don't they have a load more torque?

17. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    usctacoma

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    yeah, he doesnt pay for anything except some travel expenses. his garage is just filled with crap sponsors send him that he just can't use fast enough. It's very expensive too, so without a sponsor, I don't think hed be racing still.

18. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    I baught some drift tires for my 4 tec. They are the stupidest thing ever. I can't even drive the dang thing in a straight line. So you're probably right about not being able to hook up. Circles get boring fast. Thanks for all your knowledge and expertise.

19. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    BakoTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    No problem, if you have any other questions just send me a PM.

20. Jun 17, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top