1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grey Wolf 21RR Toy Hauler with 2013 Limited 4.0L Taco with extras....

Discussion in 'Towing' started by OmegaQuest, May 29, 2013.

1. May 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    OmegaQuest

OmegaQuest [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Limited Double Cab 4X4
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command
    What is everyones opinion on me towing the following Toy Hauler:

[​IMG]

My Truck Specs:
    Year: 2013
    Type: Limited
    Engine: 4.0L
    4x4: Yes
    Bed: Short
    Cab: Double Cab
    Trans: Automatic
    Rear Leaf: Factory 4 Leaf Pack
    Factory Tow Package: Yes
    Firestone Ride-Rite Rear Air Bags: Yes
    5100 Bilsteins (Front and Rear): Yes
    Onboard Air Compressor for Air Bags: Yes
    Brake Controller: Yes
    Weight Distro Hitch: Yes
    Anti-Sway Bar: Yes
    Wheels: 18' (265/60/18)

Toy Hauler 19RR Specs:
    Dry Hitch Weight 574 lbs.
    Unloaded Vehicle Weight 4,142 lbs.
    GVWR 7,574 lbs.
    Cargo Carrying Capacity 3,432 lbs.
    Exterior Length 23' 11"
    Exterior Height 10' 5"
    Exterior Width 97"
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHaulerTravelTrailers/GreyWolf/default.aspx?model=greywolf&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=3708&RVType=THT

I already know my MPG wont be that good and to tow in 4th (no Auto Drive/Drive Gear).

The Tacoma book that came with my truck says the following:
    6500lbs max towing capacity
    10-13% for the Max tongue weight (650-845lbs)

I dont plan on hauling the trailer with a full tank of water (only about 5 gallons until I get to my destination)

I do plan on hauling this thing on long road trips to other states (other race tracks) about 6 times a year which can range from 200 - 1,000 miles one way.

I also do plan on hauling my Can-Am Spyder (699lbs) and Yamaha R1 (445lbs Wet). So a total of about 1,200lbs cargo in the back. This is why I need this size of a trailer and not say the smaller/lighter 19RR which wont fit the Spyder and R1.

* Before someone says it, I dont plan on getting another truck to tow with. This is the truck I have so I want others opinions on if this is doable and safe if I take it slow (under 70mph).

** Is there anything else I can get to "This Truck" that will make it tow this trailer better besides a super charger or gearing or am I just being paranoid and my truck should do fine with this toy hauler.

*** This is also my daily commuter

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. May 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    53flattie

53flattie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate, SC
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC
    2.5" OME
    At 27' long and over 5500lbs loaded - I think you'll have real trouble if you towing anywhere but flat-lands. Even then, side winds will be an issue with a trailer that long. I would opt for a smaller trailer.

3. May 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command
    True it is 27' long, but the enclosed part itself is only 21' so that is 6' that would have no effect from wind correct?

If my Spyder and R1 Bike would fit in the 19RR I would do that, but it wont and thats only about 200lbs lighter...

4. May 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    mikebuyscars

mikebuyscars Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fenton, MI
    Vehicle:
    21 Toyota Tacoma double cab TRD Off-Road Voodoo Blue
    2 inch lift
    Tacoma's are great trucks, but just as every truck is, they are a compromise. The heavy Super Duty Ford trucks will never make great trail machines to go down winding trails, and double cab Tacoma's are a bit of a stretch for that too. You basically don't want to hear the truth that you need a bigger truck. Your looking for someone to tell you that it is OK to tow right up to capacity or over for such a long distance. A Tundra would handle your needs and still make a great daily driver. Once you end up on the side of the road with a blown transmission or worse yet, in an accident, all of the rest of us look like idiots right along with you. Sell your truck while you still can and be a big boy and pony up the cash to tow right before someone gets hurt! Someone with nice toys but not the proper tools to handle them looks like a fool in my eyes. Kinda like the guy that brags about his Mustang all summer long and races you to every red light, then you pass him in the ditch because he could not afford to store his Mustang for the winter.

5. May 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    53flattie

53flattie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate, SC
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC
    2.5" OME
    I look at it like this - if you're "white-knuckling" the entire tow, you're not going to have a very good time. You're going to dread going, and once you get to your destination, you're going to dread having to pack up and tow back home 2 or 3 days later.

Towing is inherently stressful, even with plenty of power and control. I think you'll be much happier, in the long run, if you get a lighter trailer. (I would also recommend a bigger truck, but you said that wasn't an option.)

6. May 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Does anyone have any recomendations/experiance for a "Toy Hayler" that would fit the Spyder and Bike that would also work with my truck?

7. May 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    have you pulled a heavy trailer before.

8. May 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    No, but I have towed a flatbed before but nothing big.

9. May 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    I have the same truck as you, and even set up properly that is too much weight. you would be fighting the truck the entire way.

10. May 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    So is it the fact that its long (27') or is it because it might come close to 5500lbs, or the TW will be in the max range, or what?

Still trying to figure out why the Toyota says it will tow 6500lbs (I'm still staying about 1000lbs under that weight) and I'm within the TW and the WD should help that out as well.

The 21RR has electric brakes and 2 axles and I hear that will help on stopping and sway/wondering.

I'm just trying to understand the issue here so I can start looking in another direction for a Toy Hauler that will "Fit" my truck and my Toys.

Thanks

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  11. May 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    mikebuyscars

mikebuyscars Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fenton, MI
    Vehicle:
    21 Toyota Tacoma double cab TRD Off-Road Voodoo Blue
    2 inch lift
    Towing that close to capacity is not a good idea. If you absolutely can't get a bigger truck then get a smaller trailer and load it with more rustic camping gear. Buy a cargo trailer and get innovative and customize it in a way you can live with. Cabinets, bathroom and a fridge and bring cots.

12. May 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    27 ft 5500 lbs and a good cross wind lack of experience not a good combination. you maybe fine, but I wouldnt do it with my truck.

13. May 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Do you have to have a toy hauler? You shouldnt have a problem if you put the 2 bikes in an enclosed trailer. IF you need a camper style maybe convert your bed into something you can sleep in with a much smaller trailer.

14. May 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Yes the wife wants all the stuff inside the Toy Hauler or Travel Trailer.

15. May 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    I will say if your set on doing this, I would have your truck regeared 4/30. your truck would be fine just dont push it. you will probably need need bigger mirrors.

16. May 30, 2013 at 3:35 AM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    So is the main issue of me towing this the fact that the motor is not going to be the best/power or the size on the hauler?

This is what I am mainly trying to figure out here. I have heard some people say it wont be a problem, others say dont (about 50/50 everywhere I have asked on other forums). This is why I dont know and finally asked here.

Would the 19RR be better/within reason for my truck?
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHa...=floorplandetails&floorplanid=3708&RVType=THT

21RR Specs:
    Dry Hitch Weight 693 lbs.
    Unloaded Vehicle Weight 4,337 lbs.
    GVWR 7,693 lbs.
    Cargo Carrying Capacity 3,318 lbs.
    Exterior Length 27' 0"
    Exterior Height 10' 6"
    Exterior Width 96"

19RR Specs:
    Dry Hitch Weight 574 lbs.
    Unloaded Vehicle Weight 4,142 lbs.
    GVWR 7,574 lbs.
    Cargo Carrying Capacity 3,432 lbs.
    Exterior Length 23' 11"
    Exterior Height 10' 5"
    Exterior Width 97"

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  17. May 30, 2013 at 4:44 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The problem is the Tacoma it is not heavy enough. Yes it will pull 6500# but you had better not take 6500 on the highway. If you get in trouble with that thing your truck is going for a ride behind the trailer. Dry weight is the camper alone no battery,propane tanks no gear no beer, no battery,nothing so pretty quickly your at 5000#. UHaul and others will not rent you a car trailer if you show up in a compact truck there is a reason for that.

18. May 30, 2013 at 4:45 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    for that little difference you might aswell stay with the 21rr. you have your truck setup good. just take it easy, if you need more power you could always regear later.

19. May 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    Lowlife

Lowlife Active Member

Member:
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    10 DBSB MGM
    3" lift, 265/70/17 on stock wheels, Side steps, Touch screen Dvd with blue tooth, and iphone dock. 2 10" subs in back, bedrail bike racks, OEM bed mat, Viper car starter, yellow fog lights, AFE intake, LED interior lights, and back ups, weather techs, fog light mod.
    Well my buddy has the 19RR and towed it 2 weekends in a row and traded his tacoma in on a tundra.This was also towing it wet but no bike or quad in the back. I think you would not like it... I towed my buddies home for him since he was out of town, and that trailer dry was pushing the limits. If you really want a toy hauler i would look for something smaller than the 19RR. If you live anywhere there are hills i would go smaller..But this is coming from a guy up in canada, and i camp in the Rocky Mountains :canada:

20. May 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    exploringcarolina

exploringcarolina Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North Carolina
    Here's an aluminum toy hauler line from LivinLite. They will custom build units, too.

We camp in a LivinLite TT and like the all aluminum construction. If we move up to a Toy Hauler to haul two sport bikes, it will probably be a LivinLite and the TV will probably be a V-6 Taco or Tundra.

http://www.livinlite.com/vrv-floorplans.php

Last edited: May 30, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top