1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-Arm maintenance question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CJH9980, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Apr 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    CJH9980

CJH9980 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Wescott lift Wescott rock sliders Prinsu Cabrack SpartanXcustoms skewp light Demon Hook front recovery point Diamondback SD (just shipped) N2 Designs Remote Start A few meso goodies
    The more I get on TW, the more brave/confident I get with the wrench. So today I tackled the front brake pads after reading the various write-ups here on the site. I replaced them with "Wagner Thermo Silent Ceramics" and all went according to plan. When I first used them the pedal went all the way to the floor so I was like ":eek:" but then they got back to normal after a few pumps. so....

I head on down to firestone to get an alignment since I have the "Lifetime Alignment", this is where the fun begins.

Firestone tech tells me "Your A-Arm bushings are dry rotted, and you cant get just the bushings, you have to replace the whole A arm" Immediately my bullshit detector starts going batshit crazy. I look where he's pointing, and sure enough, the rubber is cracked and "shrunken" looking. Then he proceeds to tell me that all 4 of my shocks are blown and need replaced because they have "moisture" building up on the top. I didn't see any moisture, but hey, I'm a nurse, not a mechanic. Shocks are Bilstein 5100's with 60k on the btw.

So, can anyone confirm or deny the A arm claim they made, and do billies wear out that fast?

Thanks,

Clint

2. Apr 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    A little cracking on the rubber is not grounds for replacement. There is some truth to not being able to replace the bushing and needing to replace the whole lower control arm. Often, the dealerships will swap out the whole arm because it comes with new bushings and a new ball joint rather than deal with swapping just the bushings. Toyota, in all their infinite wisdom, did not grease the bushings when they were pressed in so removing them is a very difficult job. What happens is the bushings rust to the LCA and the bolts sieze to the inside of the LCA bushing, all one big rust ball. If they can align the truck properly and there is not play in the rubber (you'd hear a clunk when you turn sometimes if the rubber was bad and flexing too much), then just align the truck and call it a day.

As far as the shocks, how does the truck ride? If it's not bouncy, tell the tech to screw off.

3. Apr 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    CJH9980

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Wescott lift Wescott rock sliders Prinsu Cabrack SpartanXcustoms skewp light Demon Hook front recovery point Diamondback SD (just shipped) N2 Designs Remote Start A few meso goodies
    Good advice, thanks man! I really thought he was trying to railroad me when he said that the bushings cant be replaced. As far as the shocks...its stiff but not bouncy. But hey, its a tacoma, not an avalon! I think the ride is fine personally.

4. Apr 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If your shocks were blown, the ride would be horrible. The truck would bounce all over the place and be a very uncontrolled ride. He's blowing smoke up your backside. Plus, I think 5100s have a warranty against blowing out.

5. Apr 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    CJH9980

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    cool. the ride is DEFINITELY not that bad!

6. Apr 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    this^^^^
    if the shocks were blown it would feel like you are riding around on springs.

7. Apr 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ditto. Standard retail employee training.
    If the vehicle has more than 40k on it, recommend shocks. If the customer balks, point to the oily dust near the seals.

8. Apr 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Firestone. That is the problem. They Always pull this crap.

9. May 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Milowilli

Milowilli Milowilli

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    05/ 07,09/11Tacoma access cab 4x4
    fcf556e067b4138b4375064225608309_9ee40f6ac1235a013b68a77a5ef89151991a1f1e.jpg
    Poly bushings for lower Control arms now available on EBay...Autowarehouse .

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. May 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    linzy77

linzy77 Does not suffer fools lightly

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access V6 TRD Off Road
    Dude,

I just saw you were in Shreveport, LA. I live here also but am from out of state. (You ain't from around here are ya BOY) Let me give you a couple tid-bits of advice if I may.

First off.....Don't let anyone here work on your truck. There is one mechanic in this town I will trust to do stuff here and I still watch them. I have taken my rig to several places all recommended to me and always get it back with zip ties where bolts use to be. I say something about it and am told ohh we had to cut that off....... WTF I drive a 4x4 are you trying to kill me? Lest I digress.

If you take your truck up to the FS on Shreve/Bark Rd I would find another place, but that's my opinion ;)

I have noticed that this place is RIPE with scams and con artist because ...well...how to put this nicely...It is a target rich environment. ;)

Send me a PM and I will tell you where I go and I will be going from now on. But if you want decent service take your truck to Longview or Tyler because the knuckle draggers around here don't give a DAMN about your fixing your rig or doing it right. (At least in my experience)

Ta!

11. Jun 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    CJH9980

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Hey man,

Thanks for the advice, my experiences thus far have pretty much backed up everything you just said. I also live in E. Texas, but I work in Shreveport, and no one knows where Waskom TX is so I just say I'm from Shreveport. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read the bit about "zip ties instead of bolts" LOL.

12. Jun 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    CJH9980

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Nice, that will save some $ for sure.

13. Jun 2, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    Milowilli

Milowilli Milowilli

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    05/ 07,09/11Tacoma access cab 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top