1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Progressive Rate Bump Stops... Do They Make a Difference?

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by Hot Taco, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Jun 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    Hot Taco

Hot Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richfield, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Regular Cab
    Beefed Taco 3" Lowering Blocks DJM 3" Front Lowering Kit Custom C-Notch Intermittent Wipers LED tail lights
    Seems that the most common bump-stop for lowered applications is the "pancake" style. About all this style of bump-stop does is prevent metal-to-metal contact, but once hit, is kind of like being hit in the head with a rubber mallet :eek:

[​IMG]

Does a more progressive rate bump-stop make any real difference in terms of comfort when bottoming-out, or do they simply just get in the way and reduce the much needed clearance that most of use need?

An example of a progressive rate bump-stop:

[​IMG]

The following are apparently EVS foam instead of polyurethane... perhaps making them a bit less harsh and having less of a rebound effect?:

[​IMG]

2. Jun 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    Progressive rate help by controlling the jounce like a shock absorber. They are normally always in contact with the control arm (like on a Chevy Silverado with torsion bars IFS. The progressive rate bump stops smash down really well and shouldn't minimize clearance like others. The poly and rubber bump stops only cushion the jounce on a hard bottom-out.

3. Jun 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Hot Taco

Member:
    Richfield, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Regular Cab
    Beefed Taco 3" Lowering Blocks DJM 3" Front Lowering Kit Custom C-Notch Intermittent Wipers LED tail lights
    Although this isn't my truck, here's an example of what got me thinking...

This Tacoma notch doesn't have the pancake that the DJM notch kit came with, but I'm not sure it putting this longer bumper-stop on is worth it:

[​IMG]

4. Jun 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    Brendo Ballz808

Brendo Ballz808 Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK

Member:
    First Name:
    BRENDEN
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    SNOFLAKE
    Check out my build:)
    my notch came with pancake bumpstops they stopped selling em with those awhile back because it pretty much made the notch useless

and i noticed my notch looks deeper than that one installed i think DJM revised a bit but from experience yes its like being hit my a rubber mallet sometimes but if the travel between the axle and the bumpstop is small the impact isn't too bad if its a big gap and you hit you will feel it for days the progressive ones make a difference but then you loose the purpose of the notch which is clearance i rather have 3" of clearance and a pancake bumpstop then have 1/2" clearance and a big bumpstops QA1's and notch will make a world of a difference

but the pancake does make a difference as compared to metal to metal its night a day

5. Jun 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    Bizarroterl

Bizarroterl Well-Known Member

Member:
    SJ, CA, USA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Accesscab 4cyl 2wd, 2010 Xrunner
    DJM 3/3, Hellwig rear sway, Rear Spoiler, Truck Covers USA tonneau, rear spoiler. Dynolock tailgate electric lock. Pioneer avic-z110bt. Xrunner is stock for now
    Are these are only for the rear?

I had my DJM 3/3 installed by a shop. I occasionally hit the inside of the front liners if I'm cornering somewhat hard and hit a bump. Wondering what there is out there to catch it before I eventually tear something up.

6. Jun 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    Brendo Ballz808

Brendo Ballz808 Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK

Member:
    First Name:
    BRENDEN
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    SNOFLAKE
    Check out my build:)
    I would say bilstiens for better handling up front be your best bet or xii performance stock height coils are you running the big bumpstop up front
    I pretty shredded my plastic liner up front but nothing serious I mean when you lower the front its sorta bound to happen
    Know what I mean

7. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    Bizarroterl

Bizarroterl Well-Known Member

Member:
    SJ, CA, USA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Accesscab 4cyl 2wd, 2010 Xrunner
    DJM 3/3, Hellwig rear sway, Rear Spoiler, Truck Covers USA tonneau, rear spoiler. Dynolock tailgate electric lock. Pioneer avic-z110bt. Xrunner is stock for now
    I think whatever bump stop is there is the OEM one. Is there a better one?

8. Jun 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    i dont even use my bumpstops since i did the djm notch, havnt bottomed out yet! Ill hit the wheel wells before that

9. Jun 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    Hot Taco

Member:
    Richfield, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Regular Cab
    So what you're saying is that I should mount the bump stops on my fenders? :p

Products Discussed in

To Top