1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need info of my truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jachuyito, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jun 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    jachuyito

jachuyito [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesus
    Texas
    Im new at TW and also a new tacoma buyer. Got my 2012 tacoma TRD Sport Prerunner last week but dont know much about it. I bought it at a Nissan dealership pre-owned, so they weren't able to tell me much about it. I dont know it it's an SR5, what's the standard lift they come with, if i should get a lift before i get some good tires. Anyone has any idea???

image.jpg

2. Jun 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    samer312

samer312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Alexandria VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD OR
    Welcome to TW. Depending on the tires you want you will need a lift, but this site is great because there is TONS of information for you to look at. Use the search bar and you might be surprised what you find.

3. Jun 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    is your name really jesus?:eek:

4. Jun 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    All TRD's come with SR5. Usually, SR5 includes options such as power windows and locks, keyless entry, cruise control, fog lights, DRL, some type of upgraded interior, better seats. There may also be additional body moldings and those may be in color and a different rim/tire combination.

TRD Sport adds even better, more comfortable seats with airbags, color matched grille, color matched rear bumper, scooped hood, color matched door handles, color matched side mirrors, side mirror turn signals, and a 110v plug in the passenger side bed of the pickup.

PreRunner means its a 2 wheel drive. No "standard lift" you are at stock height for a 4x4 or PreRunner (6 lug wheels).

At stock height, with your rims, the biggest tire you can get is 265/70/R17. 285 wide tires will require a 3" lift and some trimming.

Aftermarket rims with a 0offset will get the tires to be be pretty flush with the fenders (see my build by clicking below). -12offset will make the tire stick out about .5". If you want to keep the stock rims, but want the rims more flush, get a set of SpyderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers. They basically make the OEM rims flush with the fenders (like the 0offset wheels).

If you want to add additional lift, the options are countless. If you're looking to just level it out and raise the front, most people will recommend the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks. They allow you to preload the shock giving you .85", 1.75", or 2.5" of lift in the front. Most people will tell you that the 1.75" setting is the best choice for the double cab to get level and keep a nice ride. If you're looking to go higher, spindle lifts are a good choice for 2WD trucks...

Best things to get for or do to your truck off the bat:
    -WeatherTech Digitalfit Floor Mats
    -rear diff breather relocate (if you drive through water more than a few inches deep)
    -a raise at work to support the Tacoma Addiction
    -recovery gear (since you're 2wd, and increase you want to help someone out)

Any other questions, let me know. :oldglory:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  5. Jun 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    jachuyito

jachuyito [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesus
    Texas
    And yes my name is Jesus, my friends call me Jesse lol. Im hispanic. Thank you all very much for all the info. And thank you "AWorthyOpponent" for all the info and breaking it down for me. One of the first things I do want to get are weathertech mats :D FOR SURE!!!!! And yes I have officially become an addict! I can already hear my wife yelling lmao!

6. Jun 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    jachuyito

jachuyito [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesus
    Texas
    AWorthyOpponent..... Any good recovery gear that you might recommend? And do you think it will be wrong by me helping others if I'm a 2wd? :/

7. Jun 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    Are you going off road? At a minimum a tow strap that you can store behind or under rear seat. This shows a pretty well stocked recovery kit, but you don't NEED all that's in there. Just gives you an idea.

[​IMG]

8. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    jachuyito

jachuyito [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesus
    Texas
    Maybe just beach and sometimes mudd. That looks like a pretty cool recovery kit. Where can i get 1 of those and @ how much? :D

9. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Just cause you're a 2WD, that doesn't mean you won't be able to help people in a jam. Honestly, I would get the tow strap incase YOU get stuck, but you could always pull a friend out of a snowy embankment or something. I would start with a hitch shackle that goes into your factory tow reciever...and cheap tow strap. All that will keep you around $50 and get you out of just about anything with the help of another vehicle.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6225-30-Foot-4-Inch-Recovery/dp/B000NPZ4BM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_14

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-29...0967288&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Hitch+shackle

You can always upgrade to an ARB snatch strap, winch, or whatever else you can see your self needing as time goes on (also easier to convince the other half if there are purchases drawn out over time :) )

Also, while I thought about it, if you have a hitch with a 7 pin connector that looks like this, you have the factory tow package. Comes with an oil cooler, trans cooler, class 4 hitch, bigger heavy duty alternator, better battery and is wired for lights and pre wired for an aftermarket brake controller.

[​IMG]

10. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    OoO a trd sport... i turned my sr5 into a sport... :( just missing the hood