1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone know how to fix washing machines?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by bmka87, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    bmka87

bmka87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    I've been fighting with my washing machine for a while and can usually find the issue. This time, not so much. I've got an older (90's-early 2000's maybe) Kenmore top loader. Switch it to wash cycle and it fills with water, then nothing. I can switch it to spin cycle and it drains that way, and the machine spins. No rinse or wash cycle though. I don't have the money to go buy a new one right now.....

Anyone else had this situation before?

2. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    If it spins on the drain cycle I doubt it's a belt, unless there is more than one. My guess would be the knob/timer is bad or dirty.

3. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The machine spins?

Open up the unit and look underneath..... Also, open up the panel where all the switches are, look for any loose wires/plugs.

Inspect circuit board for any 'fried' components.

Google it...

The unit is 13+ years old...it's probably time for a new one.

4. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
  5. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    It spins and drains (thank god), when I move the knob to the spin cycle. I can't hear the motor run after it's done filling, but the knob timer keeps turning as if everything was working perfectly, except doesn't switch cycles on it's own (From wash to rinse, to spin).

Thanks for the link, i'll check that out. I'm going through google now and reading some write-ups for fixing the motor coupler, but I don't think it's that if it still spins. Maybe dead motor, espeically if i can't hear it?

6. Jun 12, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    If its spinning....I would tend to believe the MAIN DRIVE motor & belt are fine.

There could be other motors - aka actuators, control modules, switches, etc - that cycle at certain points. If those actuators aren't cycling, the washer won't progress into the next cycle (per say). The system is looking for that input from the actuator ...and never gets it.

We had a Maytag Neptune that had a circuit board component fail which blew out a Wax motor. Who the frick ever heard of a wax motor?? Apparently, this little mechanism had wax in it that was energized/melted which prompted a shaft/signal to lock the door (front loader). If the door wasn't locked, the machine would just sit there after the wash cycle .... I'm not sure why it didn't get this 'lock' signal prior to starting the wash cycle. I guess it wasn't that 'advanced' LOL Maytag Neptune

7. Jun 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Most Kenmores are Whirlpool built and will have a 110.------ model number. Assuming that, if it spins, the motor, motor capacitor, drive coupler (no belt on those), transmission, clutch are okay. Lid switch is okay too.

This is what I do all day, it's an unusual problem to have with the Whirlpools, usually it's a bad timer. You don't mention any noise coming from the motor like it's trying to start, there are two motor windings and the motor will usually hum when trying to start on only one winding, which is the most common scenario when dealing with a bad timer.

Like Janster said, check the wiring connections, a loose one will usually discolor the plastic connector and lead you right to it.

8. Jun 12, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5

I'll check the connections and take off the control panel tonight when I get home from work to see if I can see anything. I really have no experience on understanding how these things work, but it seems to me that the timer works fine (after it quits the knob is still going but stops when it enters the rinse cycle) and there is no noise whatsoever once the water stops filling.

9. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Funny thing: I told you that what you have is a rare set of symptoms, then I walk into the office this morning and our dispatcher is describing the same thing with her Kenmore, except hers won't spin. It does sound like bad cams or contacts inside the timer, the timer motor itself still activates the switches, the contacts just aren't doing what needs to be done.

Get the part number off the timer itself and type it into google......sometimes you can get a deal on Ebay or Amazon. There are companies who rebuild timers as well. Whirlpool parts have really gone up lately.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Jun 13, 2013 at 5:53 AM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    Wow, small world! I didn't get a chance to take off the control panel last night, had some unexpected things come up...I'm glad you wrote that about the timer though. I tried it again this morning and let it go through the full cycle. I put it on normal wash and let it do it's thing. It didn't do anything during the wash cycle (no sound of anything kicking on the motor at all, just silent) but went through the rinse cycle (spun and everything), and the spin cycle fine.

I think I found the timer, does this look right??

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Timer/3946475/546898?modelNumber=110.92588210

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    Oh and I found the model number.....

Kenmore Washing Machine Model 110.92588210

12. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    tip

if you replace it never buy kenmore again, there are numerous
    examples of extreme cost-cutting and components intended to fail,
    not just shabby or low quality, but actually intended to fail after XYZ uses

front loader Kenmore are the worst culprit, but knowing 'this is how
    sears holdings operates a business
    ' makes me spend my funds direct
    to whirlpool or LG.

13. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I fought with my GE for a few weeks. Ended up finding a used place and paid $300 for a slightly used front loading firgidare MSPR was $900.

14. Jun 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    After looking up parts and thinking that if the timer doesn't fix the issue, I've been looking at new as an option. I found this....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpoo...-ENERGY-STAR-WFW9550WW/203491703#BVRRWidgetID

any thoughts? Reviews are all over the place. I'm up in the air between paying the $100 bucks for the part and attempting to fix it myself, or buying new.

I never thought about used, I'll check that out next!

15. Jun 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Used was awesome. I bought new last time and they only lasted a few years. The set was like $1300. So finding a used front loader for $300 and not really caring now if it only lasts me 3 years. But hopefully it will last longer.

16. Jun 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    triplejjj

triplejjj Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    LoPro QT, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liners, ScanGauge, WeatherTech Deflectors, Drop in Billet Grill, Train Horns, PanoFlex Window Tint, Viper Alarm, Remote Start, Console Vault,
    Go to this site, then go to answers. Search with your model number and look for someone with a similar problem or ask a question describing your issue and some one will answer.
    I have had good results, it is a Sears web site so I'm sure it'll help.
    http://www.managemylife.com

17. Jun 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Are you absolutely certain that $100 part will fix the problem?
    Chances are... You're not totally sure. You might be on borrowed time. A washer that old, you may want to consider new.

I love front loaders. Had a Maytag Neptune for 15 years (limped it along)-never buy one of those again. We ended up with Samsung front loaders.

18. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yep, and I love their return policy! :cool:

19. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    Swank

Swank Certified Mall Crawling Instructor

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Greenville NC
    Vehicle:
    SOLD/TOTALED
  20. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    That front loader has been pretty reliable. If you get one, use the correct "he" detergent and do not over soap it! If you use the bulk detergent from Costco (non "he"), you will destroy the bearings within a couple years and Whirlpool won't help you.

Products Discussed in

To Top