1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Power Locks Kit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomathunder, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jun 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    ok so i looked at this from the other thread, and i was wondering, what am i wiring to there? a single wire?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. Jun 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    OP: It's time to order the kit and go for it! Figure it's going to take you a whole weekend of taking your time and sipping on your favorite beverage. If you run into trouble post pics and details of what you're experiencing and someone will help you figure it out.

3. Jun 15, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    lol, i have ordered it, i just like to know exactly what im doing before i start... just how i am :eek: lol...

4. Jun 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I'm a lot like that too.

A couple things I'd add, since I don't know how much experience you have with electrical, and at 21 I was just starting to figure these things out (no offense, I'm still figuring them out at 34 LOL, just don't want you to learn a hard lesson on your own truck):

1. I would advise against using a standard "test light" to probe wires under the dash. I would use a digital multimeter. They are $20 at Sears and they don't draw power like a light bulb will. Remember, some of those wires under there control the airbags.:eek: In theory, the airbag harnesses are yellow taped, but you never know, be careful.

2. For something this simple, only needing power, ground, and ignition to work, I'd buy a couple of these: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-25gq?itemIdentifier=32416&_requestid=1239512

I have two of them in my inside fuse block to tap constant power (power outlet circuit) and parking light circuits. This way I am not splicing or "T-tapping" more wires than necessary. I'm competent making splices, but a splice is never as good as factory wiring. Particularly with tapping power from the ignition circuit, I would consider using these. My local Autozone has them for $7 or so. NAPA is a ripoff at like, $20 each.

5. Jul 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    so the keyless kit is all i need? i dont need the other accessories? like the relay accessory? i dont want to start then be stuck

6. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:28 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
  7. Jul 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    I'm gonna start this weekend but I really don't need to be stuck without a part, can anyone verify that the kit is all I need? Not the accessory relays that are shown below the kit?

8. Jul 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab

Products Discussed in

To Top