1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie needs some simple help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaymac10, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    jaymac10

jaymac10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    Hello,

Just sold my 2011 Subaru STi Hatch for a 2013 DCLB TRD Sport! I've got two kids (2&4) and while our 2007 GMC Acadia has been great so far and plan to keep it for a long time, the 4 door tuck is totally awesome and much more practical than my Subaru is/was!

That being said, I'm looking to put on a few after market parts. My biggest question is to verify that anything that says it will fit a 2012 will also fit my 2013? I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same truck, but on a couple of things I've looked at, example: the running boards says the 2012's won't fit 2013??

In no particular order:

1.) Tonneau cover: Looking for a foldable cover. Soft/hard, not sure which one yet? I'm leaning towards a soft one. Have to do some more resarch but any suggestions on which soft and which hard are the best?

2.) Running boards/side steps: Make it much easier for the kids to get in and out of.
    Have looked at a couple... Any suggestions?

A.) http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-SIDE-STEP-...ma&hash=item27d3f28280&vxp=mtr#ht_2435wt_1141

B.) http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fits-2005-20...ma&hash=item4d08d01010&vxp=mtr#ht_3426wt_1399

What's the biggest difference between a 3' and a 4' bar other than 1' of course?? :rolleyes:

3.) Skid Plate: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacoma-marketplace/228625-fs-10g-steel-skid-plate.html

I looked under the truck and didn't really notice any other skid plates... I'd like to make sure I'm protected as much as possible when off roading/hunting. Are there other bolt-on skid plates I should be looking at to protect the vitals?

4.) Suggestions on anything else that are great bang for buck mods I shouldn't/can't live without??

Would love to hear your imput guys/gals!

Thanks,

Jay

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    whitetacoma89

whitetacoma89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner
    I just sold my11' oem running boards to a 13' dcsb. Haven't heard back from him so I'm guessing it fits.

I know it fits though because we measured it up to his truck when he picked it up

3. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    The things you listed are compatable, the only difference between the 05-11 and the 12+ is the front end (hood, grille, and i think headlights).

4. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    jaymac10

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    Thanks guys!

I'm also going to be cutting down the front mud flaps. Those things are crazy long and so low to the ground it's stupid!

5. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    thairannosaurus

thairannosaurus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    AC drain mod, interior lights, tonneau cover, avid light bar, N2 remote start, power tailgate lock
    as far as tonneau covers, i'd recommend the bakflip hd if you're looking for a hard one. i have one and that's probably one of my favorite additions. i love the look, it's extremely low profile (won't even realize it's there if you look at the side profile), waterresistant (not waterproof unfortunately) and is actually really durable and hides your belongings very well. the only downside is you cant use the bed rails anymore but i never used mine in the first place so it was a null issue.

http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/60A4226A0A0.aspx

there's also the bakflip g2 which is the same thing but a little cheaper (maybe hundred or so) and the only difference is it's able to handle less weight (a negligible amount though)

also, everyone on here will probably tell you to get the weathertech digital floor mats and it's for good reason those things are awesome and have saved me from some potentially huge messes and stains in the carpet.

http://www.autoanything.com/floor-mats/77A2002A3806766.aspx

and if you're going to get the tonneau cover, to provide extra protection, i'd get the pop and lock tailgate lock as the bakflip doesn't have a lock on it, any intruder just needs to open the tailgate and pop the cover open.

6. Jun 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    WhiteNemesis

WhiteNemesis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr PattyCakes
    T-Town, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Cant get enough
    Blow it through the roof
    if you want the rock slider look they have bolt on ones that work perfect as steps too

7. Jun 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    squatnbear

squatnbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TX pro MGM
    If you wants steps you can also go with a 5". I have them and got them for parking lot protection as people like to make door dings. I like the looks too.
    Steelcraft 5-inch Oval Sidebars

8. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    jaymac10

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    Thanks bud,

I'm thinking I'll probably go with 4' rather than 5' and black rather than chrome. Since I don't want chrome, it cuts down on my options...

These are on for $191 right now... Seem pretty good for the price!

http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/60A4559A0A0.aspx

These ones may be better, but they don't come in black: http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/60A4538A0A0.aspx

However, if the Steelcraft bars are truly THAT much better, I'd consider the chrome....

Thoughts?

9. Jun 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    squatnbear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TX pro MGM
    Steelcraft bars are not chrome they are polished marine grade stainless steel. Nothing to flake or fall off. Also life time warranty you will prob never need it but its there just in case. I highly recommend them. You can also get them in black if you want from Auto Anything. Not sure if the warranty is the same for black ones.
    Also wet Okole seat covers. You have kids and they tend to spill so seat covers may save your seats from all kinds of stains. Just check there web page or on here lots of people have them. Be warned they stink for about a week keep your windows down or cracked when possible.

10. Jun 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    jaymac10

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    Thanks for the info...

Actually looking into these some more, what about these?

http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/61A4999A0A0.aspx

11. Jun 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    squatnbear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TX pro MGM
    Those look great I like the off road look they give. I would prob go with black if I was going to go that rout or if you like you can check out Avid OffRoad. You have to paint them and there stuff is made to order so it takes some time to get. But, there stuff is seconded to none. Lots of how to paint Avid info on this sight. Tacoma world members also get a discount just email them. They are a little cheaper than the linked ones and if you want Brandon will add light tabs or what not to your steps just depends on what you looking for.

12. Jun 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    jaymac10

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    Thanks for the Avid info. I think I'm pretty much sold on them! Like to support the "little guys" as much as I can.

13. Jun 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
  14. Jun 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    jaymac10

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    I'm in Kelowna....

I've been doing some reading on TG. Do they make actual side steps as apposed to pure sliders?

Edit: Don't have steps and also doesn't fit Double Cab long box... Boooo

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top