1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deleted

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Cypherian, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Jun 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Deleted

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  2. Jun 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    David100

David100 Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Running boards and bed cover
    That looks like a great travel trailer; good luck with it.

I don't know that I can directly hep you, but I have a similar Tacoma with factory towing package (transmission and oil cooler, heavy duty battery, 130 Amp alternator, Class IV Receiver & Hitch, Trailer Sway Control, and 7-Pin Connector with converter) and a travel trailer in the same weight range, bed cargo load, and occupants the same too so I will add a few comments. I hope they help.

I have not modified my Tacoma except for the brake controller. I use McKesh mirrors which are removable, but I might have gone with the ProEX that I have found on this forum if I had known about them.

I live in west TN and have traveled through the SE states so have gone over mountains between TN and NC without too many problems. I have found, though, that on steep uphill and down hill roads, I must use 3rd gear to maintain 55 mph (speed limit) and not have to brake a lot going downhill at about 3000 rpm. I would also like to have more power than the 4.0 L can give on the uphill side of rolling hills in the southern states. I usually don't use cruise because the transmission wants to downshift even at the slightest hill.

One final note. My trailer has a 3-way refrigerator. When I tow, I set the switch to 12-volt battery power. However, the Tacoma/trailer wiring does not give enough charging to sufficiently cool the refrigerator, run the refrigerator exhaust fan and charge the deep cycle marine battery. So I find that the refrigerator does not stay cold enough.

3. Jun 30, 2013 at 5:09 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
    Do you have a weight distribution hitch on your list?

I just purchased this one: http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP66153.html

This hitch also has sway control.

Will be towing a Deere tractor on an 18' car hauler. Approx. 3000lbs to 4000lbs plus weight of trailer.

Spindifferent

4. Jun 30, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    hellsbay

hellsbay Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD OR
    Cypherian, I think you made the right choice in trailers. I bought an AS Bambi in Rhode Island and towed it home to Florida. I also took it out west for 6 weeks, traveling through the Rockies. I towed with a Toyota FJ Cruiser and had no problems other than a blow out going 75 mph. I was able to pull to the side of the road with no problems and only minor damage to the wheel well. By the way the trailer tires were brand new, maybe three months old. You can't safely go over 65mph with trailer tires. I did have a special hitch and mirrors. After more research, I found Oliver Technologies Travel Trailers. They are very similar to the one you are getting, fiberglass. They have an all aluminum frame, dual group 27 batteries, inverter, satellite TV, AC, three way fridge, double hull with insulation between, dual pane windows, adjustable tongue. It weighs 3800# fully loaded and I put 16 inch wheels on it with Michelin LT tires. So I have no worries about going 75 down the highway. It comes lifted with quad shocks.

The AS was really, really cool, but was going to be a nightmare in maintenance. Outdated technology and poor build. It had the potential for leaks everywhere and wood floors and furniture.

I am getting 1-3 more mpg with the Oliver and do not need any special hitch and do not need the tow mirrors. I have had this trailer all through the Rockies and the eastern mountains with no problems towing with the FJ Cruiser. The Taco should be even better, as it has a longer wheel base and can tow more weight.

I have an Icon stage 4 lift with CDC on the front, 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac tires. My Oliver is 17 feet and heavier than yours because of the double hull. If you haven't already, check out the Fiberglass Forum. I have a friend that has been pulling his Oliver, just like mine, for four years with his 4 cylinder Taco. He has never had any problems and also pulls through the Rockies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jun 30, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Pretty sure you'll need some type of spacer for the airbags if you are going to lift the truck, but I honestly don't think you'll need them with Dakars and a WDH. ProEFX mirrors would be good, but dang ugly IMHO, and not absolutely needed. As for an electric fan for the trans cooler, good idea, but probably overkill. I'd personally just see to it that the trans fluid is changed at its regular intervals. Sounds like a pretty sweet little overland setup you got going on here! :thumbsup:

6. Jun 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM
    campthewestcoast

campthewestcoast Oceanfisherman

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Power extend/retract towing mirrors,brake controller,30amp charging system for TT,snug top camper
    I had the same problem with my 3-way refrigerator on 12 volts while towing. I installed a 30 amp curcuit breaker off of the alternator and ran 8 gauge wire to the 7pin connector,because the factory plug is a poor design, you cant enlarge the wire size . I installed a heavy duty aftermarket 7pin connector that could handle the 8 gauge wire. Also, I replaced the trailer pigtail that's had larger gauge wire.

7. Nov 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    PAB4

PAB4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner D/C 6cyl
    Borla Exhaust
    Is unit still available. And if so how much are you asking

Products Discussed in