1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear end whining!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Yotaman423, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Jun 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    Yotaman423

Yotaman423 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma not stock
    Grey wire custom dented tailgate bilstein/eibach up front custom leafs in the rear tom woods one piece shaft
    hey guys so today i replaced my leaky pinion seal. it has been leaking since i had it rebuilt a while ago. i cant remember the mileage. back story is it started whining then so i pulled the chunk and took it to a toyota shop. they determined the pinion bearing was bad and rebuilt it for 450 parts and labor. i put it back in filled up with dope till it ran out of fill hole. a couple of days later started leaking. took it back and they said i overfilled it. fast forward to today. pulled everything apart new OEM seal in new OEM pinion nut i put it back on exactly the number of turns i took it off plus about an 1/8 of a turn more. within about 10 miles it started whining alot more on decel. so at this point am i screwed or can i back off the pinion nut and cross my fingers??

2. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Hard to say. Sometimes diffs make noise for 10s of thousands of miles with no problems. Sometimes they break within 50 miles.

You have to decide how far you're willing to take it knowing a breakdown could happen any minute.

That said - since it started after you fucked with the pinion nut, you're probably screwed. I'm betting the original pinion nut deformed when it was torqued, and the new pinion nut did not achieve the same torque (and thus appropriate pinion bearing preload) as the old one.

This is why all the major diff guys use solid collars. Much easier to deal with the pinion...just torque it to spec and you're good...no crush sleeve to fuck things up when all you need to do is change a seal.

One ghetto fix you could try:

Disclaimer: Try this at your own risk. It could just as easily make the problem worse as help. I am not responsible if you destroy your rear end.

You could try torquing the pinion nut up about 5ft. lbs at a time, with a test drive between each. If you get lucky, you may "walk" the nut back to proper torque and thus proper preload. Caveat: If the pinion nut is *already* overtorqued, you're just gonna make the problem worse.

The best thing to do at this point: Pull the third member, get an inch-lb torque wrench, and check pinion start tq to see if it's in spec. Get some gear paint and run a pattern as well while you have it out. That'll at least tell you whether it's a pinion preload or depth problem.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  3. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    If my brain is working correctly if its only on decel I think is not tight enough..... I'm tired so I may be wrong.

4. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    Yotaman423

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma not stock
    Grey wire custom dented tailgate bilstein/eibach up front custom leafs in the rear tom woods one piece shaft
    thanks for the replies guys my luck im screwed. ill email zuk at gear installs.com and see what he thinks. any more ideas would be great.

5. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This is typically the case, yes.

6. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Dude, your playing with fire messing with the pre load , depending how long ago it was done I'd say the pre load wasn't right when you got it back, Or possibly the pinion bearing was never changed (thats what starts the howling) I've got my 3rd member out right now, getting ready to rebuild tomorrow

pinion bearing (inner) is toast bot the outer is worse, my pinion didn't walk it fuckin ran..
    DSC00437_zpsf0fd6bf1_0e89315b03d8f4fa9ef67a5b6478fb2bfe34d5c9.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  7. Jun 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    not an adjustment for home mechanics, backlash and torque on pinion is critical and require special tools....

8. Jun 21, 2013 at 1:40 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    backlash isn't adjusted via pinion pre load

9. Jun 21, 2013 at 3:52 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    backlash isn't adjusted via pinion pre load

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

correctomundo, however, assuming that everyone has some knowledge on rear gear setups......once the CORRECT pinion preload/backlash is set during initial setup................. however, not tight enough or cranked too much after assembly (as with I turned the same amount of turns plus about 1/8 more) and the backlash will be affected ever so slightly, it only takes a micro maladjustment and the ring and pinion are toast...

Been there before...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  10. Jun 21, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    The backlash is affected, but it's because pinion preload being incorrect allows the pinion to change depth dynamically during acceleration and deceleration (if too loose) or be stuck too deep (if too tight). The incorrect mesh of the gears is where backlash goes to hell.

Getting the pinion preload "right" again is key, but he may not be able to do it without disassembling the whole setup. So yes, he's in a bad situation.

11. Jun 21, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    Yotaman423

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma not stock
    Yes bad indeed. This is why I was putting off replacing the seal for so long.

12. Jun 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    Yotaman423

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma not stock
    stopped by the shop today that rebuilt my third member. import support in Cleveland tn. consensus is that i did not get the pinion nut tight enough. gonna drop it off tues morning and let mikey take care of it. i considered tightening it up myself but i def would rather spend a little money instead of a lot. ill keep you guys updated

13. Jun 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    Sub'd goodluck OP

14. Jun 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    Yotaman423

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma not stock
    so i dropped my truck off this morning and they had it fixed this afternoon. pinion nut was too loose causing pinion to slide back and forth. so maybe counting the number of turns does not work?? IDK maybe i lost count or something i am human.he torqued the nut to 109 ft/lb and it good to go. no more whining on decel and it cost me only 47 bucks instead of 600 for a used e locker or 450 for rebuilding it again. thanks for the replies and help guys

15. Jun 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    thats a pretty good deal! only 47.

my rear end is whining too, but an acceleration. my trusty mechanic friend determined it was gear noise from the gears not wearing right after my regear (possibly from over heating due to a leaky pinion seal myself). the pinion bearing had 20k on it, so it was still in good shape.

I replaced my pinion seal myself, and I was iffy about the pinion nut as well, but i followed some advice and put it back on, torquing it down about and 8th turn past where it was before and staked it. for now the noise is the same and no leaky seal. guess ill see what it does

16. Jun 26, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    OP, keep an ear ready for any changes in rear end noise, once the hardened finish of the worm and ring gears get really hot from poor backlash adjustment, further degradation will probably occur, it even probably already started a new wear pattern on the gears, sometimes a complete readjustment, pinion torque and backlash setup from scratch might save it or at least prolong its lifespan....

It took a whole week for my 4.56 to start whining again after a similar experience, shortly after that it became unbearable....

17. Jul 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    Yotaman423

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma not stock
    hey guys just an update over 1000k miles regular driving and pulling a trailer and no noise yet hpoefully im out of the woods

Products Discussed in

To Top