1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kayak Roof Rack Question...

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by Toyota4x46921, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Jun 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    Toyota4x46921

Toyota4x46921 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Warner Robins, GA
    I have searched a while and still need a few opinions. I just bought a liquid logic tandem Kayak that is 13 foot long. I plan on buying a roof rack for my Tacoma or maybe a half rack with goal post type hitch. I was curious if Yakima or Thule is better or really much difference? Any opinions on the goal post type carrier also? I have a 2004 dbl cab. Also can I buy one of these off craigslist and buy model specific components to make the towers fit?

2. Jul 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    NorCalTaco33

NorCalTaco33 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Westin Side Steps, Fog light mod, Grillcraft grill, Future Mods: Stowaway Roof Rack, PIAA Lights, Lift 33" tires, UWS Toolbox, and many others...
  3. Aug 1, 2013 at 4:46 AM
    JLeephoto

JLeephoto Member

Member:
    N.C. Triad
    Vehicle:
    Red '05 Taco DC, TRD 4x4
    I've used the extendatruck and probably every other configuration to carry kayaks and canoes on mine. It works pretty well but needs additional straps to avoid having the hitch bar sway.

4. Aug 20, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    Frogsauce

Frogsauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    I do something a bit different since I have a 11' fishing kayak. I prop it up on the roof with the stern down in the bed. I put foam under it where it touches the roof and tie it down.

I am going to rig up D rings to the roof rack strips and use that to hold the foam in place better. I will stick some pictures on here when I get done.

5. Aug 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    Naughty Dog

Naughty Dog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 PreRunner
    i have a Native Mariner 12.5. most of the time i carry 2 in the bed of my truck. i run a ratchet strap through the handles in the front and one over the top and tie them down to the hitch. it works fine for me, but i do want the bed extender. From what ive seen, its the best option.

6. Aug 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Romo7493

Romo7493 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Media, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Black
    I have the Thule goal post and I bought some cheapo temporary roof racks from autozone for over the cab. I am fishing a hobie revo 13 and it works well for me. Lean the yak against the goal post, push it up until it rest on the roof rack, flip it over. Then I tie it down with a ratchet strap on the rear D rings and use a simple black strap that you can cinch down (not sure what to call it) to secure the kayak to the front rack. Since the hobie has a hole in the middle for the mirage drive I run the excess from my black strap up front thru that hole and tie it off to the rack to prevent slipping in a worst case scenario.

I like this setup because I can remove the goal post and roof rack in about a minute if needed. Most of the time I leave the goal post on when I know I'll be kayaking 3-4 times a week and sometimes just leave the kayak on and drive it to work if I'm feeling lazy or plan on fishing after.

7. Sep 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    fishninjay

fishninjay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Los Alamitos, CA

Do you have a pic of your setup? I think I know what you are talking about. So the yak is basically horizontal and high up at the level of the cab roof? You basically are not using you rear bed at all?

I want to get a tacoma for camping, kayaking, and stuff.. but it has to be somewhat driveable by my wife, and handle a family of 5. I was considering a 4-dr truck, but wondering how the rear bed will handle my 14.5FT Hobie Oasis Tandem kayak. It's pretty heavy, and I'm getting sick of hauling it on top of my accord! I was originally thinking of getting a camper shell, and then when I want to kayak, just slide it in on the bed, and leave the gate down, and use one of thoe T-bar hitch extenders?

Wouldn't that work? How much of the kayak needs to be actually resting on the bed? I know I would be sticking out the rear, and need to put a red flag on it.. right?

Thanks..
    -J :cool:

8. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    JLeephoto

JLeephoto Member

Member:
    N.C. Triad
    Vehicle:
    Red '05 Taco DC, TRD 4x4
    That will work fine. A lot if us have hauled our boats that way. The nice thing is you can pretty much have it loaded and ready to fish. The down side is you use your bed space where you could be hauling other things and you have at least 8ft of vert expensive plastic sticking out the back. I always worry someone's gonna hit it.

Here's a old thread that contains pictures of most of your boat toating options with the Tacoma: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/84411-factory-rack-canoe.html

I've gone with most of these set-ups over the years: Roof Racks, Roof Racks+Goal Post, Bed Extender, Bed Rack (Thule Xsporter), etc. All have worked. I currently have the XSporter Bed Racks on my truck and they work well. My next step is a good utility trailer with with raised kayak racks and storage underneath. Kayak fishing is all about simplicity and I like the idea of being able to load or unload a boat that is all set-up ready to fish and to be able to unhook a lightweight trailer when I get home and call it a day.

BTW: The proper way to strap down a kayak or canoe is to use cam straps like these: http://www.nrs.com/product/1440/nrs-1-hd-tie-down-straps. Ratchet straps can easily be overtightened and warp your boat. They also have a tendency to be heavy and scratch boats and roofs.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top