1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Capacity

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bryan459, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Jun 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    bryan459

bryan459 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    My son is now proud owner of a brand new 2004 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 AT. Yay!

The previous owner said he was ABLE to tow an 18.5 foot ski boat, but had a little sliding on the launch ramp.

So the real question is what's the heaviest trailer/boat combo he should consider towing? Not worried about sliding because it's a 2WD, my F150 is a 2WD and never a launch ramp problem (fingers crossed) because the boat/trailer weight doesn't overpower the truck weight.

Also while trying to match maximum trailer/boat weight to the prerunner, don't want to torture the truck since, far as I know it's not set up with tow package.

All thoughts appreciated.

2. Jun 25, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    Depends on many factors. Does the boat trailer have brakes? The ramp condition also. I pulled an inboard Ski Nautique with an early 80's Toyota truck. It would get the boat to the ramp. But if the ramp was wet or slimy when I backed in the boat, itpulled the light truck in with it. And tires just spun trying to get it out. Had to have a couple of buddys in bed for weight or use the boats engine to push the whole rig up the ramp. Power of truck wasn't the problem, it was the lack of weight.

3. Jun 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Having 4WD (instead of his 2WD) would help at a ramp, since there would be a low-range option. :)

4. Jun 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2003 Prerunner, 3.4L V6, and I tow this 19" foot Wellcraft with a Roadmaster trailer, full fuel, gear, and three people. It comes up to just under 6,000 lbs and I am able to tow and pull it out of the boat ramp just fine. The only problem is if there are steep hills with grades greater than say 10-12* degrees, but on flat roads and the boat ramp it pulls beautifully. I get so many compliments on the ramp with guys and their huge duallys and F250s that are shocked when I pull the boat out with ease...:D

[​IMG]

5. Jun 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I would get a transmission cooler and upgraded brakes just in case.

As far as getting it out, you have the right power and gear combination but it will ultimately come down to traction on the ramp.

6. Jun 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good points. I also upgraded my tires to Michelin LTX AT2s so I wouldn't get any tire slip on the ramp. So far this tires have been nothing short of impressive and are well worth the cost. And yes for longer trips I would HIGHLY recommend a transmission cooler. I am blessed to live on the lake so, the ramp is about 1,000 feet away from the house so I've never needed a transmission cooler.

7. Jun 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    bryan459

Member:
    Sounds like tractionwise he'll be fine on our local ramp, plenty of traction and no need for any human weight in boat when pulling out (they can jump in back of truck if needed) and he has good tires. I'll get him a tranny cooler and upgrade brakes for christmas when he gets his own boat. His use of mine will be rare. I'll standby with my truck for his first launch n retrieve just in case. It's a very mild grade up to the lake except for the last 3 miles.
    Thanks for the feedback.

8. Jul 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    TacomaZAV69

TacomaZAV69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherb
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    02 Stepside Prerunner
    Exterior: 2008 Baja TRD Rims *Blisten Setup* Moog Lower Ball Joints *Upper Control arms* Plasti Dipped -Front Grill & Toyota Logo -All 4 Fender Flares -All Badges on Truck *Anzo Headlights* Interior: -Pioneer AVX-1500DVD Double Din Touch Screen -2 Rockford Fosgate 6x9 door speakers. -2 12' Sony subwoofers *Interior Red led's* *Gauges* *Seat Covers* *Cluster LED swap* Engine: -K&N CAI -Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer -FlowMaster duel 40 series -*Supercharger* -*URD KIT* Fun Toys: Currently rebuilding a supercharger!! -Jackass Horn Kit from Hornblasters!
    I have a 2002 v6 stepside and I pull a 1994 inboard/outboard Four Winns with no brakes on trailer just fine. I have never had any problems with traction or even braking. Just have to be more cautious of other drivers and start breaking earlier than normal so I dont overheat my brakes. Im thinking the weight is right around 4000 lbs.

9. Jul 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I would suggest brakes on the trailer and a good quality brake controller. It will make it much more pleasant stopping. Also if someone pulls out in front of you or does something stupid you have another set of brakes helping stop everything. I pulled a load of lumber to harkers island this weekend right around 4000lbs with the trailer weight. Pulled at 75 in 5th gear(manual) and had no issues. Trailer brakes made a world of difference in my opinion. Average 16mpg pulling that load.

10. Jul 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    bryan459

Member:
    Great info, Guys, thanks very much!

Products Discussed in

To Top