1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How good is this 'potential' setup?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by UndisputedChamp, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Jun 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    UndisputedChamp

UndisputedChamp [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Logan
    So I'm really clueless when it comes to the audio side of things. I do know that this is a pretty inexpensive package I'm looking into, but all I am interested in is clear sound with some good bass, as apposed to my completely stock system. ( I listen to hip-hop, electronic music)
    Can I get some input as to whether this setup will get the job done? Any other suggestions? (already ordered the HU)

Pioneer GM-D8601 Class D Mono Amplifier with Wired Bass Boost Remote
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GM-D8...=1372192830&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneer+amplifier

Pioneer FH x700bt
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-FH-X7...=1372193130&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneer+fh-x700bt

Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" Flat Subwoofer with Enclosure 800 Watts
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SW...=1372193176&sr=1-3&keywords=pioneer+subwoofer

2. Jun 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Try a jbl 5000 watt subwoofer and some jl speakers

3. Jun 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    UndisputedChamp

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Logan
    Probably should have mentioned that I'm on a budget, and Jl subs are pretty expensive if im not mistaken

4. Jun 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    Your not addressing the crappy stock speakers that you will still be listening too with that setup.

5. Jun 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM
    UndisputedChamp

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Logan
    Would it be really that noticeable if i kept my speakers stock?

6. Jun 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    DESRTRNNR

DESRTRNNR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD off road 4x4

yes.. if you are on a budget just do things over time..

first door speakers (i'm not sure how they are on tacoma's because i havent changed mine out yet, but swapping out speakers on my ranger gave me the biggest increase in sound quality)
    second head unit
    third sub woofer and amp

edit: and that amp will most likely toast that sub in a short time if you keep it cranked...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  7. Jun 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    SVtaco03

SVtaco03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stockton CA
    Vehicle:
    03 DC prerunner V6
    Yes I think that you should get nice speakers before a sub. If you get nice 6 1/2" speakers that will get close to some low end bass in the front stage you will like it better turned up then the crappy stock speakers and an unequalized sub setup. Put a budget down and lets see what we can figure out for you. Also what body style truck and what year do you have? And will you connect to the head unit with an ipod, android phone, or iphone?

8. Jun 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM
    UndisputedChamp

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Logan
    Ok my budget is around $300
    I have 07 double cab trd sport, and I would be connecting my ipod to my head unit for music almost exclusively
    And just out of curiosity, is rockford fosgate a good brand?

9. Jun 26, 2013 at 1:03 AM
    davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    $300 is no budget for a good sound system. Save up and do it right the first time, even if it takes longer. I started off with a kenwood 250w amp and a pioneer shallow mount sub, wasnt enough for me so I saved up and got a kicker 1000w pushing an alpine type R 10". MUCH better. Save yourself the $ and do it right the first time! Just my two cents

10. Jun 26, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    On a second note, I just bought that head unit for my mom's car and I like it. It could have more features, like individually adjustable EQ's (it only has preset ones, no bass, mid, or treble adjustments; either that or I have yet to find them :confused:) But the stereo does what it needs to and sounds 10x better than the old one did, even with stock speakers. Keep in mind my mom's car is a 2003 honda pilot, not a 2nd gen tacoma. I have no idea how good the stock speakers are, but I would say if you're on a budget go in this order:
    1. Head unit
    2. If the stock speakers are to your liking with a new head unit, then keep them and go to #3. Otherwise, get new ones.
    3. sub & amp. I would suggest an alpine or hifonics amp, my kicker is just ok. The older kickers are better. For a sub, I love my type R. Rockford Fosgate also makes good stuff for bass (sub and amp, I would not recommend their component speakers)

11. Jun 26, 2013 at 3:27 AM
    SVtaco03

SVtaco03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stockton CA
    Vehicle:
    03 DC prerunner V6
    I agree with the comment above for order to buy first get a head unit. Rockford is an alright brand but they are what you see in a lot of the shittier shops and have lost their rep. They were regarded as a higher up manufacturer back in the day and have gone downhill imo. I prefer JL (most ppl do; lil overhyped maybe) Pioneer, and Alpine. If you want to get higher up then you can even go audison or hertz but with your budget we shall keep it simple for now. I suggest starting with a head unit and some new front speakers. Always stick to round speakers if you ask me. They out off a better sound imo. Get components for the front because it is better to mount the tweeter higher in order to bring the imaging up.

Nice Alpine head unit hit a 60 dollar break 3 months ago.

And as for speakers you can take people recommendation but the best thing to do is go to a local stereo shop and actually listen to them before ordering them online or buying some. This pair of alpines got 5/5 by 42 people so if your all for taking stabs in the dark I think this will sound much better then your stock speakers. Alpine Type-S 6-3/4"

[​IMG]

12. Jun 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    cgredler

cgredler It was called thee 80s

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 like a boss
    3" lift Yakima Rack Floor Mats/Wind Defl. Cb Radio Bed Lights Tool Box
    What you should to do for the budget you have is go to Amazon and get the 12" pioneer shallow mount ($100), the pioneer D-mono amp ($120), an amp kit ($30), and build a box ($50). Boom bitches....

13. Jun 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer is just ehh for bass imo. I had a pioneer 10" shallow and I wasnt impressed with it. I have pioneer 3-ways in my doors, and they are less than decent. No lows at all, which is why I got a sub. They are nice in the higher frequency range but suck in lows and even mids. I don't have any experience with their amps, but I know there is probably better stuff out there. Alpine and older kicker amps are good for budget. Of course, with a $300 budget you probably aren't going for window-shakin' bass, so the amp won't be as crucial.

14. Jun 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    cgredler

cgredler It was called thee 80s

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 like a boss
    3" lift Yakima Rack Floor Mats/Wind Defl. Cb Radio Bed Lights Tool Box
    Back in the day, I used to have two 12 inch MTXs in the back of my Bronco, you talk about window shaking bass lol. I just bought an 07 dbl cab a few months ago and am trying to add just a little more bass to my stock system (which beats pretty decent already). I plan on getting the amp/sub, then upgrading the door speakers later this year. What would you suggest is the best quality, good sounding, shallow mount subwoofer is for the best price? and dont say JL, cause we all know JL is the nicest subwoofers around, but its out of his price range and also out of mine. Amazon has some pretty damn good deals on subs and amps right now, so its hard to pass up.

15. Jun 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    For a shallow mount sub, I would say Pioneer is your best bet as far as quality to price ratio. But is OP looking specifically for a shallow mount? Alpine Type R shallow mount would be my first choice, but then again... Too much $ :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top