1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my 2002 tacoma suv (aka 4runner)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by magikbean562, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jun 23, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 [OP] once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    so the trucks steering has felt a bit sloppy since i bought it. took it on my trip to laughlin (4.5 hours each way) vibrated and felt like crap. new bfg's put on a month ago, still happening. aligned a month ago and realigned like a week ago. still happening. same vibrating to 3 sets of tires and 2 different rims, doubtful. i was gonna put on the new poly bushings, but wanted to wait till a toyota dealership looked at it, in case the whole rack had to go, i didnt want the new bushings to go as well. toyota called a few minutes ago and said nothing is out of place and all seems good:confused: they said it might be the tires, which i doubt, but im gonna get them rebalanced and later this week slap on th new bushings. is there anything else that can be the wrong here that i can bring to their attention?? but atleast the good news is i got a free rental for 2 days and all i pay is $50 and theyre fixing my busted turn signal thing:p

oh, and this is my rental:p:p:p
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 24, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    magikbean562

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    well, sadly had to return the tundra:( but got my baby back. turn signal thing works great. but the actual problem i went for still isnt solved:mad: so im gonna put in the bushings this weekend hopefully and go from there:(

3. Jun 24, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    Robbsolid

Robbsolid Zombie Killer

Member:
    ABQ, N.M.
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SuperWhite DBL Cab
    Plastic X'd Flares, deck plate mod, Thrush welded muffler, graphite painted wheels, relocated turn signals, fogs in bumper
    keep posting on it, i am very very curious

4. Jan 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    magikbean562

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    so bushing installed months ago and issue persists. found this in a land rover website

Vibration at Highway Speeds

Problem:
    Various owners have reported steering wheel vibration anywhere from 50mph (80kph) to 100 mph (160 kph). It was initially thought the problem may originate from the Goodyear Wrangler 255/55R19 tire that is standard equipment. Land Rover initially recommended a force thrust balance on a Hunter 9700 machine to determine the problem. This is apparently the only machine capable of doing a proper balancing job on this wheel and tire combination. However for any warranty claims from Goodyear you must apparently go to a Goodyear company owned store -- although stores with equipment to balance a 19 " wheel are scarce in some areas.

Solution:
    3/22/03: One owner reported the problem finally identified and solved on his vehicle, after 7200 miles and 6 attempts at balancing the tires, including replacement of the front ones. It emerged emerged that the problem has nothing to do with the tires -- it is caused by a valve in the steering rack that controls the amount of fluid to the variable speed steering. Owners with the vibration problem reported that if you accelerated slowly from a dead stop, the vibration did not occur. If you floored it, vibration every time. It appears that the valve could not keep up with a rapid change and malfunctioned (55 mph is where it is programmed to make a major adjustment in steering tension). The defective steering would then shake the car out of balance explaining why it would drive well for about a week after balancing, then vibrate again. The fix was a replacement part for the defective valve in the steering box. However, the fix took a while to percolate through the dealership system, going by the reports I continued to receive (below).

Later updates:

4/5/03: Philippe Geerts of Belgium felt vibration in the steering wheel, starting at 100 km/h (62 mph) and stopping at about 160 km/h (100 mph). At low speed there were no vibrations. The garage balanced the wheels again and everything was ok for a few weeks. But then it started all over again. Thanks to the information posted above about the valve, he planned to have it replaced. Filip Mottie of Belgium had the same problem on his 3.0 TD Vogue, but reported that Land Rover Belgium said they had no solution as yet (4/8/03).

6/5/03: Another reader reports experiencing the steering wheel vibration beginning at approximately 50 mph on his '03, with the original 19" wheels as well as the the 22" Momo/Pirelli replacements. Keep an eye out to see if there is a recall related to this issue!

7/4/03: Another reader confirms that Land Rover now has a fix for the problem with a replacement part.

10/23/03: An owner in New Zealand reports a vibration in the drivetrain -- this may be a separate problem (see drivetrain vibration section above).

10/30/03: Mark Scheberies has a 2004 model and reports a different cause for the vibration in his steering: "At highway speeds there was a distinct vibration in the steering wheel. It felt like an out of balance tire. With less than 500 miles on the car, I took it back to the dealer. It was discovered that one of the bearings in the left front hub would not seat properly, and that one of the bolts that holds the hub on the car had already broken. The dealer replaced the left front hub assembly". A month later the fix still seemed to be working.

12/2/03: Ralph, a potential buyer, reports: "I was about to purchase a 2004 Range Rover when I learned that there is a vibration problem in the wheels at 50 mph that Rover knows about, but can't fix....The dealer says there hasn't been a recall because they don't know how to fix the vibration."

12/8/03: I was informed by a Land Rover dealer tech that the "official" cause of this steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds is improper roadforce balance of the wheels/tires. The resolution is to re-roadforce all 4 wheels. There is a bulletin from LRNA and it was sent to all dealers in the US.

sounds like what ive been going through. do we have a VSS in the steering?

5. May 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Resurrecting an old thread but I'll bet money that your vibration problem was that the techs did not balance the tires correctly. I've been there and almost all of the places I went to did not balance the tire correctly. I finally found a place that knew what they were doing and it's night and day different.

6. May 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    magikbean562

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    did that the other day and the truck feels 90% better. i think the 8 year old shocks are the cause now.

7. May 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    vibration issue - was it constant? or did it only occur over bumps in the road at speed?

8. May 25, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    YEah, I have been to numerous tire shops and 3 dealers and NONE of them balamced the tires correctly. I found a shop (a member here!) and he knew how to do it correctly and the truck rides awesome now. Not a single shake or wobble at all!

Products Discussed in

To Top