1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARE Z-Series fitment issue and question for ARE cap owners

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PuffDr4gon, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Jun 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    PuffDr4gon

PuffDr4gon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4.0
    Got mods?
    Hey guys,
    I just received a brand new factory ordered ARE Z-series cap for my 13' Access Cab. Overall quality and paint job are awesome except for one thing: I feel like it was manufactured too long for the bed (see pics at bottom).

It hangs over the edge of the tailgate about a 1/2" long and in my opinion gives the cap an unfinished look. I am hoping some other ARE cap owners can chime in and show some pictures of how their ARE cap fits. This way I can compare mine to other Tacoma's. My only comparison of another ARE cap so far is from my buddy's Silverado and his fits like a glove.

Upon receiving the cap from the dealer I asked about the fitting before driving off the lot. They told me that "it can only fit one way" and "that's how it's suppose to look." Not satisfied I then contacted ARE directly and they told me "it does look like some adjustments can be made to move the cap forward to allow a better fit in the rear. My best suggestion would be to get the cap back to S**** J****** E**** and allow them to work our Tech Team on ways to improve the fit."

So before I go back to the dealer and ask them to adjust it, which I feel will be counter-intuitive, as they already verbalized they cannot adjust it and that it only fits that way; can you guys show me some pics of how yours looks? Or is this how they are suppose to fit on a Tacoma?

Thanks for any info!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside pic: you can see how it does not seal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My friends Silverado: This is how I expected mine to fit or at least similar as I know the bed design is different
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    Tacoma VT

Tacoma VT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R. Kessler
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD sport
    OME 884s, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Icon 3 leaf progressive AAL (with overload in), Rear leaf TSB, ImMrYo mirror relocater, ARE Z series cap, Hi Lift jack W/ DIY mount, trimmed Mud Flaps, Devil Horns by Andres, EGR In-Channel rain guards, LED bed lights, Weather Techs
    I have the Z series. Mine sits perfectly flush now. Originally mine hung over like that. I moved the cap on my own. It weighs <150lbs, so I undid the clamps and gently pushed up and foward from inside the bed toward the cab. Make sure you get it even side to side.
    Yours is clearly not foward enough. You should do it and then drive back and show the lazy dealer your work.
    This is the best picture I have loaded, but you can see how snug it fits. Otherwise I love the cap.
    Good Luck:cool:
    [​IMG]

3. Jun 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    i agree just loosen the clamps and move it fwd. that black flap on the bottom should almost touch the tailgate when its closed...almost !! 1/8 inch or so. if it touches flush it may scratch

4. Jun 29, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    PuffDr4gon

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4.0
    Got mods?
    Thanks for the response guys. I loosened the clamps and was able to slide it forward myself hassle free. If the LAZY dealer wasn't an hour out of my way I would definitely go back and show them what they should have done for me in the first place. Thanks again!

5. Jun 30, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    Tacoma VT

Member:
    First Name:
    R. Kessler
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD sport
    OME 884s, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Icon 3 leaf progressive AAL (with overload in), Rear leaf TSB, ImMrYo mirror relocater, ARE Z series cap, Hi Lift jack W/ DIY mount, trimmed Mud Flaps, Devil Horns by Andres, EGR In-Channel rain guards, LED bed lights, Weather Techs
    Good work. You'll have to post a picture of it. Enjoy the cap. :thumbsup:

6. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:45 AM
    PuffDr4gon

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4.0
    Got mods?
    Here ya go! I know the F2 half-slider windows are a "downgrade" on the Z-series, but I had to get them as one of my main reasons for the cap will be camping/fly fishing adventures. I love the looks of the SV windows by far, but they just weren't practical enough for my cross ventilation needs. That's my kayak in the back, which will eventually go up and over once my yakima rack comes in.
    [​IMG]

Just finished the sleeping platform. Tested it out last night with my faithful sidekick!
    [​IMG]

7. Jul 2, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    Huckwheat

Huckwheat Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Adirondacks
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
  8. Jul 3, 2013 at 5:39 AM
    Tacoma VT

Member:
    First Name:
    R. Kessler
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD sport
    Nice looking truck. The pup looks happy in there. I ran a zip tie through the carpet liner and pulled the 3rd brake light wiring tight. I saw yours hanging down on the left side of the picture. Although if there is not enough slack your good to go.

9. Jul 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    surfrat

surfrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    LI, NY
    icon coilover, total chaos UCA, allpr expo, icon 2.0 rear,wet okole
    mine was exactly the way yours was.. gonna go try to nudge it.. im just afraid of breaking some seal in the back.. I also wish i had gotten the cheaper slide windows than the vent ones.. truck looks good!

Products Discussed in

To Top