1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad wheel bearing?(video)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by skidooman, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Jun 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    skidooman

skidooman [OP] I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Recently I have developed a 22-28mph vibration. I played around with my carrier bearing to only make it worse. I decided to rotate tires and check front wheel bearings. I did the wiggle test, and there is no play in either hub. However when I spin the driver front wheel I get a click click click sound. Truck has 31k on it. OME 885/aal. 265/75R16. I thought maybe it was something hitting the dust shield, because it kind of has that tinny hollow metal sound. Heres the video.
    th_VID_20130630_104415_855_zps9844fe59_ba5505a3b4a20ac1351664d7ed1d090fff18c600.jpg

2. Jun 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Actually sounds somewhat normal to me. When you jack up the front of the truck and spin a wheel, you'll hear a clicking sound from the CV/tulip joints. Every vehicle I've had with CV axles has made the click, including 4 different Tacomas (all with ADD), my old Integra and even my wife's Matrix.

A bad wheel bearing usually (not always) sounds different - more of a groan/howl or a low 'wailing' sound.

To see if it's the CV's, support the lower A-arm with a jack (as if to simulate you had the truck on the ground and the suspension compressed) and spin the wheel again. If the sound changes, in all probability it's just regular old CV noise.

The vibration? Who knows. These trucks vibrate so much and for so many reasons, I wouldn't know where to start. Front diff needle bearing, unbalanced driveline, trans/motor mount, CB, pinion angle…who knows. :/

Products Discussed in

To Top