1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Help/Sugestions...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by escotek1, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Jun 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    escotek1

escotek1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RoN
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    So i've looking around at other post and here's what i've come up with..
    I have a 2012 DCLB Pre runner (2x4) I know i know i should've went with (4x4) but Im not really into the off-roading thing, I just really love the Tacoma's and the value that it holds up to...so been thinking about getting the All-Pro Expedition leaf spring for the rear .. and for the Front, I haven't decided yet on going with a Maxtrac spindle or 3' lift kit with bilstein 5100 ?

also, wanted to upgrade the UCA's with the total chaos UCA's??

and if i get the all-pro leaf spring could i also add the icon 2.0 rear shocks? or is that over doing it for a 2x4??

and for the front I know toyteclifts.com has an ultimate lift kit for $1,179.. would that be better suspension set-up

and also was looking at the OME suspension lift kit.

My whole intention is to get the truck lifted 3's so I can put the SCS Stealth 6's on with 285/75/17 i think thats a good enough height to make it look a little tougher

2. Jun 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why not do spacers and blocks if you don't off road?

3. Jun 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    OK. So heres the thing. You basically just spelled out my MT suspension.

Maxtrac spindles
    Total Chaos UCA's
    Fox Coilovers
    AP Expo leafs
    Fox 12" shocks(rear)

Here's the thing...that is an AWESOME offroad suspension, and will treat you well, but its quite a bit of money and effort just to fit some 33's. I'm about to pull the trigger on 33's in a few days...

That being said...I would suggest for you, since you say you don't offroad at all, go maxtrac spindles up front...those will replace your spindles and bolt right on without any issues. If you have alignment issues, look up some aftermarket UCA's...probably camburg balljoint UCA's, those are relatively inexpensive and will help with alignment. As for the rear...if you're not offroad...yea I guess a block will give you the lift, but you're gonna have some crazy axle wrap as well as a harsher ride. THAT being said, if you go with the AP expo pack, you'll be just a hair stink bug with the maxtrac spindles...UNLESS you are running several hundred pounds of crap in the bed of your truck at all times. Ask me how I know.

4. Jun 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    doesnt cost any money to fit 33s if you have friends that can weld

5. Jun 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    ok....ima do my best here.

spindles are an obvious one to me if all you want is height.

other than that, I noticed that you are looking at new uca's, that opens up a whole new world of options if your willing to spend the money.

as you apparently know, you need uca's for 3" suspension lift. to get that high, you can do spacers, coils, adjustable struts, or coilovers.

spacers will get you to the store. the top-plate style will destroy your shocks if you ever cycle them. the coil spacers will give you a stiffer ride. adjustable struts (5100s) do the same thing as coil spacers.

aftermarket coils are cool. they often have a slightly stiffer spring rate, but are longer also so you really don't encounter much stiffer than stock until you compress them, like off-roading. I suggest ome885s. it will be slightly stiffer, but I see that as a bonus. imo you would want an aftermarket strut (5100) to dampen the new springs, you don't want a pogo stick.

coilovers are the ultimate. you are given a stiffer, taller coil, on a shock designed to dampen it, all designed for your truck. they are designed for off-roading, the wider body's, usually accompanied with reservoirs, resist fading that happens with constant cycling. the benefit to you would be that you can fine-tune them. the preload (height) is adjustable in any increment you want, as its a threaded adjustment.

if your not off-roading, any way will work. but obviously, the more you spend, the more you get

6. Jun 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM
    escotek1

escotek1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RoN
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    @ VolcomTacoma if i go with the all pro leafs in the rear with the icon rear shocks will that be over doing it? or should i just go with the all pro leafs and bilsteins 5100 in the rear? just want a good performing ride, i mean im on a budget but if it means saving up a little longer to get a better quality suspension then that's whats gonna happen...

so I'm kind of new to the Tacoma world thing and also to the truck game lol ...so how if i do Bilstein 5100's in the rear with the all-pro leaf pack and for the Front OME 885 coils, Bilstein 5100's light racing UCA's?

7. Jul 1, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Ok. I went with 5100's back in the day and thought I was fine...once I switched to a better brand its like night and day. I would suggest to you that you do a full offroad suspension, because it really does improve your onroad driving as well. AND should you ever feel the need to go offroading for any reason, you won't fuck you truck up (on blocks/spacers).

I'm not a fan of Icon, personally, but I hear they make good OEM replacement stuff, and the onroad ride is markedly improved.

If you get the All-pro expo or standard leaves, MAKE SURE you get the extended travel rear shocks. Standard size shocks will limit how far your rear end can bounce (your travel) as well as damage the shock if it happens too much. I would definitely suggest you save up a little more and go for something other than the Bilsteins. I found them to be quite stiff onroad compared to say, my new Foxes :D

8. Jul 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Hey bro, just for the record, it took me around 8 months to save up and buy my parts one at a time. It took alot of patience, but the payoff was worth it. I went from bouncing around and hating life(overreacting a little, but I rode in a buddies truck with nice suspension and it was night and day difference) to LOVING my truck now and the way it rides!

When you're ready to buy some shocks, hit up DownSouth MotorSports. They treat us Tacomaworlders well.

9. Jul 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    escotek1

escotek1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RoN
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    Thanks bro... The info helped out a lot

Products Discussed in

To Top