1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Play in new Bilstein shocks

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by stagermx317, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jul 1, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    stagermx317

stagermx317 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4 V-6
    Pacesetter Catback K&N Air Filter 3" lift 32x11.5 Tires Manik Grill Guard Performance Products Nerf Bars Carbon Fiber Tail lights
    Hey guys I need some help, I just replaced the front shocks on my 95 Taco 4x4 and when I did, i think there were 2 sets of bushings that came off the originals. I can only find the one set now and I ended up only finding where the one bushing goes on in between 2 washers before the top nut goes on to secure the spring to the shock. The new Bilsteins came with no new hardware except a new nut to secure the shock. I realized this was a problem after only installing the top bushing and taking the truck for a test drive and I realized some metal clanking noise. When i got out and bounced up and down on the front suspension I saw that when the shock compresses that there is play in it where the top nut is secured. I have looked everywhere for replacement bushings and can't find where anything resembles what came from the oem shocks.

2. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    Sittingbull2

Sittingbull2 Old N.R.A. Hippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Southeast texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab SR5 White
    3" Body lift, ARB Front Bumper w/9000 lb. Warn Winch, Chevy Alum. Rims w/ Kelly 285's M/S
    Tried Parts Geek or Rock Auto? Autozone O'Reilly's or Dealership

3. Jul 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Junk yard or dealership...Rock Auto probably a good bet...

Just a curious question, why did you put it back together one side right and the other obviously wrong?

just be careful if you are still driving it, could punch through the fender if you have a failure....

4. Jul 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    stagermx317

stagermx317 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4 V-6
    Pacesetter Catback K&N Air Filter 3" lift 32x11.5 Tires Manik Grill Guard Performance Products Nerf Bars Carbon Fiber Tail lights
    I took it apart a month ago with my brother, and then I got the coil springs re powder coated. When I went to put it back together I noticed that there was a larger bushing and a smaller one for one and just the smaller one for the other side, so I lost the other larger one. When i put them back together i didn't even see where the larger bushing would fit on, so I just installed the smaller bushing right below the nut that holds tension on the shock. It seemed all tight when everything was put back together with tension on the spring until i took it for the test drive. I didn't see the bushings on rockauto or autozone's website or ebay. I did find them on this link though

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top