1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thule T2 tailgate clearance

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by plurpimpin, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jul 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I'm looking at picking up a thule t2 hitch mounted bike rack for my taco. I was wondering if it interferes at all with opening the tailgate. The rack has a drop down position to allow you to open hatchbacks with bikes on the rack, is there enough clearance to open your tailgate with the rack in this position with bikes on?

2. Jul 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    anybody?

3. Jul 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    Op, my buddy has one on his Tundra and with no bikes I believe he can fully open the tailgate. The Tacoma one should be similar.

Have you looked at fork mounts for the bed? Cheaper and they won't interfere with the tailgate haha

4. Jul 4, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    ChiveOn

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    Whoops, forgot to say, on my buddies the bikes hit the tailgate when they are open and you open the gate.

5. Jul 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    fork mounts are a monumental pain in the butt with 15 and 20mm thru axel forks

6. Jul 6, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    ChiveOn

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    ^
    I have a 20mm thru axel on my bike. It's a breeze to put on and take off, I can have it on or off in under a minute.

7. Jul 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    [​IMG]

not when you have these dropouts, oh well will probably go with the t2 anyway was just curious about the clearance... alot easier to ask than just speculate

8. Jul 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    crazyhouse5

crazyhouse5 New Member

Member:
    Carlsbad, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DC TRD Offroad
    If you don't want to use your tailgate to hang your bikes over (with a tailgate protector) and want to go with a hitch rack, there's a Canadian company that makes some pretty good ones. From looking through their gallery, it looks like you would still be able to drop down your tailgate with the bikes on the rack.

I was looking at them when I had a TJ and figuring out how to take a bike.

www.northshoreracks.com

http://www.northshoreracks.com/photo%20customers/photo%20customer22.htm
    In case the picture doesn't show up.

[​IMG]

This was a truck load (from their gallery)
    [​IMG]

http://www.northshoreracks.com/photo%20customers/photo%20customer139.html
    Again, a link (hopefully), in case the picture doesn't show.

Good luck in your search (and thanks for making me finally do a first post instead of lurking around)

crazyhouse

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  9. Jan 3, 2014 at 11:01 PM
    Passion4Outdoors

Passion4Outdoors Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Adventure Rig
    Leer 180 Topper Baja Rack Body Armor Trail Steps All-Pro Off Road Skids Toyota Bed Mat Thule T2 916XTR Rack Salex Console Organizer Add A Leaf Husky Mud Flaps TrailSeal Tailgate Gasket WeatherGuard Floor Mats TSB Steering Shaft Rag Joint Adjustment Mod Tow Wiring Relocate Mod Tailgate Screw Mod

Products Discussed in

To Top