1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Me Help You - Sub Box

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Tj0hn, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Jul 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Tj0hn

Tj0hn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
    DISCLAIMER: These measurements DO NOT account for wood thickness!!!!!

These measurements were tested with a template that I have made to include the seat up, the seat folding down and while down.

My goal for this thread was to get solid numbers out for anyone to use and I feel I have done that.

If someone would like to, please take these measurements and transcribe onto cardboard and double check me....can't ever be to sure!

The one and only thing that is not mentioned here is the seat brace which if you were going to build a box all the way across at a 7" bottom depth, you would have to build around. Using these numbers though, you could easily build a sub box with a sub on each side and the amp rack in the middle avoiding the brace!

Top Depth - 3 5/8"
    Bottom Depth - 7"
    Back - 18.1/2" Split into 6 1/8 above brace, 2 5/8 in front of brace and 9 3/4 below brace
    Width - Total 48 3/4 Speaker box - 29 3/4, Amp rack - 19"

The design....

speaker box.jpg

Now, I am using Kicker CompC8's that have a 4 11/16 mounting depth which I have plenty of room with the subs center mounted at 5" from the bottom. Honestly, I think there is close to another inch of mounting depth clearance at that height.

Another factor, my subs have a 1/2" mount surface and there is PLENTY of room for the seats to fold and the subs to play...no concerns at all. I really wish I would have taken a photo to show the template behind the seat folded up and down.

Lastly, someone grab some cardboard and an Exacto and test my numbers. I would love to know if I need to correct this.

Cheers!

Speakers Adapter Templates

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/285434-speaker-adapter-templates.html

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. Jul 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Looks cool. I don't think your doing anything wrong, but I'm not a mod, so...

Anyway, are you looking to get a template out there so you can build your own box, as well as for other people who want to build their own sub boxes?

I guess I got kinda lost in what this is for.

3. Jul 7, 2013 at 4:20 AM
    Tj0hn

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
    Exactly. I want to get a correct template out there for everyone to use.

4. Jul 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    Tj0hn

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
    No one willing to help out?

5. Jul 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM
    Harkonnendog

Harkonnendog Active Member

Member:
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRDS
    I'm clueless but think it is a great idea. Looked for a build ur own sub box mod and was shocked that there wasn't one. A step by step with pics guide would be awesome... & necessary, for me.

6. Jul 9, 2013 at 3:44 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Thats what one if my boxes looked like. Csnt remember the exact numbers. Had 2 flat kicker 12s stuffed in there.only problem was trying to get the position of the cut out just right. Cause depending on magnet size and depth, it could hit that notched part in the wood. Fiber glass back would be more ideal for this truck. Now I got rid of the flat subs(cause the bass wouldnt hit low enough for my liking) and got two 10s. The box I built for that comes right up to the support bar. Think it was 13? Inches tall to that point. Im going to end up stuffing one more 10 in the box in a few months, just becauss I have room! Lol

7. Jul 9, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    Tj0hn

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
    So was I. That is why I am trying to compile some solid numbers just for the depth, height and width; mainly depth. The dividers to create the actual sub enclosures can be adjusted to fit different volumes dependent on someone's needs. For my 8's, the picture I drew above works.

Well run out to your truck, take a few measurements and upload it here!

8. Jul 9, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Straight from the website where I bought my box

This listing is for one dual Vehicle Specific box.
    This box holds two 10" woofers.
    L: 49"
    H: 18"
    D: 7.5" bottom depth
    D: 3.5" top depth
    Mounting depth: 5.5"
    Cutout diameter: 9 1/16"
    1.20 Cu Ft Air Space

9. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM
    Tj0hn

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4

Awesome! This is a great start!

Do those depths allow you to fold the seats down with rubbing the box? Were you able to put the box in without removing the rear seat?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  10. Jul 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids

It fits behind the seat in my double cab. You do have to remove the plastic bins to make room and hammer down some of the brackets but that is with any of these boxes. The seats go up and down and lock in place still. I ended up cutting the box in half and only using the one side for the drivers side as I still wanted to have some storage area on the passenger side. Yes you can put it in without removing the rear seat...fits very tight though so you will have to wiggle it in...

11. Jul 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    Tj0hn

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4

Beautiful!

I'll try and get something drawn up this week and post it up on here. I'll try and use Google Draw (3D Design) to get something out there.

12. Jul 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    Tj0hn

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
    One more thing to figure out...those depth dimensions.

Are those going to be the length of the board up top or the actual depth from the back of the box to foremost point on the front etc.

For example, if 3.5" is the length of the board, then you would add 1.5" for the thickness of the back piece plus the thickness of the front piece yielding a total of 5" from back to front...if you can picture what I mean.

13. Jul 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    Tj0hn

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
    Also,

Does your box butt up to the brace running across the back of the truck or does it fit around it? Meaning, does it have the notch that is drawn into my drawing to accomodate the brace?

14. Jul 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    yeah it has the notch cut into it like your pic. I am not 100% sure about your measurement question cause I cut the box in half and sold the other half so I can't measure it.

15. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    bobin

bobin Member

Member:
    Can i use this measure to build the box for my 06 regular cab with 1 10 inch shallow mount sub and 2 6x9 infinitive kapa in the same box. Is this enough cu ft for all of these

Thank you

16. Jul 14, 2013 at 3:18 AM
    ducati

ducati thie-trickster

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4x4 Black
    Icon coils, Squeaky dakars, Thule rack, tinted windows, weathertech rain guards, Demello off road front bumper, warn winch, shok sound deadening.
    I'll take some measurements tomorrow of my box. Its the same as your artistic rendition, haha. I just built it a few days ago. All I did was take measurements and cut, everything turned out great. It only took a few hours. Most of that was getting beer.

17. Jul 14, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    ducati

ducati thie-trickster

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4x4 Black
    Icon coils, Squeaky dakars, Thule rack, tinted windows, weathertech rain guards, Demello off road front bumper, warn winch, shok sound deadening.
    B in your drawing is 9 inches and A is 5 inches. The top width is 3 1/2 inches bottom on mine is 7 1/2
    9+5=14
    I did my notch at 4", could of probably done less but I wanted the easiest fit.

18. Jul 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    This is a good idea. Wish more people would offer up some measurements. Be awesome to have all the popular sub boxes and specifications on one thread, with pictures would be even better. It would be helpful to a lot of people.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  19. Jul 24, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I agree this is a good idea. I bought my box from Marv and it is a 48" width if you want to use the whole back. I'll try to take some top and bottom depth measurements, but it may be hard to get accurate since it now has carpet on it.

I had to remove the plastic behind the seat. It was not causing a problem when the seat was folded up, but every time I tried to fold the seat down the plastic would rub against the sub surround pretty hard. Enough to make me concerned that it could tear the surround.

I was contemplating building it myself, but I would need to purchase a table saw and router to meet my OCD needs. Marv was a great guy to talk to and I was grateful he helped decide on other equipment. I didn't feel bad spending more money to have him build the enclosure and amp rack. He did a great job and quality is top notch. When I do decide to add another 10" then I will definitely build the box myself.

20. Jul 25, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    Hmmm

Hmmm New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma doublecab
    I ran across this post as I am in the middle of building my own subwoofer. I checked out Mr Marv, and *********, but just didn't like something about each whether it be price or size or whatever. I am installing an entire new stereo into my doublecab. I am in the process of ripping out the old JBL system and putting on sound deadoning material. I have the back of my sub box already built and hope to make some progress today on the rest. I am installing an all Alpine system. Two amps mounted on the sub box Alpine PDX-M6 for the sub, and PDX-F4 for the speakers. It will be a tight fit fitting both of those on the box. and I realized there is a near 1 inch lip on the sub. I don't want to remove the plastic behind the seat, but will if necessary due to fit or vibration.

You are prob done by now.. although with new offspring, maybe not? heheh... :)

I am having a heck of a time removing all the wires to the old JBL system. I am also concerned about adapting to the steering wheel controls and the handsfree stuff, but that is yet to come.

I would love to email you if you are ok with it... Here is an email I where I can be reached.. BMaeurs@gmail.com

Products Discussed in

To Top