1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running with no thermostat ?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by LarrysWorld, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jul 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    LarrysWorld

LarrysWorld [OP] 05 Taquito

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Rialto, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Reg Cab
    2in front lift HIDs 15" Steelies
    So this weekend I changed my radiator and thermostat. Problem is when I went to remove my old Thermostat, it did not have one? All it had was a the O-Ring and a piece of the Thermostat. I installed a New Thermostat had a problem, it over heated instantly. So I removed the new one, put the old one back (which is just the top piece where the O-Ring goes on) and put a new O-Ring on it. Temperature now is leveled and fine. So my question is, is it bad to be driving without a full Thermostat?

image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. Jul 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Yes, it is bad. You can actually cause overheating w/out a thermostat - coolant does not dwell long enough in the passages to gather heat, so it carries away less heat, causing complete overheating or hotspots (even worse). The chunk of thermostat left behind may be slowing the coolant flow enough to prevent that, but I would not want to bank on it.

If you overheat with a proper thermostat (test the new one in some boiling water, just to be sure it's OK), then you have other, bigger problems you need to address ASAP.

3. Jul 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    LarrysWorld

LarrysWorld [OP] 05 Taquito

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Rialto, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Reg Cab
    2in front lift HIDs 15" Steelies
    So far it hasn't overheated without the thermostat like shown on the picture. The mechanic who first changed my tstat removed because he said it kept overheating with it on. So you're saying the rest of the tstat is in the tstat housing? Because I didn't feel anything in there.

4. Jul 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Where did the guts to the old thermostat go? I assume the spring valve came undone, but is it lodged in old radiator? I would want to know where that went. If it's stuck somewhere it may be causing flow problems. I recently put a Stant 170F in my 3.4 and it works great.

5. Jul 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    I hate to be all doom-and-gloom, but my guess is those parts are lodged in your engine somewhere by looking at this diagram.

Cooling20system20diagram_6d5ac3f576b348d9f5bb54cc1090e2cca90023c7.jpg

I would find out what happened to the old thermostat guts before going further to prevent this from happening (worst case)

thermostat-fell-apart-caused-overheat

Products Discussed in

To Top