1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blinker to "foglight" retrofit

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by calebdnehus, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Jul 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    calebdnehus

calebdnehus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '98 Prerunner V6--2004 Tacoma facelift
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    That was the best idea I had at that point in the night, haha. What do you think I could use to keep the heat off the plastic? Maybe a smaller bulb might burn at a lower temperature. Idk

2. Jul 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    I've seen some pretty small projector fogs in an old Audi headlight, maybe try and use something like that in your blinker. That might help with heating as they have their own housing. They were about the size of a half dollar, but couldn't tell you the length and if they would fit. I always use Lexus fogs as they come with a mounting bracket for cheap at the junk yards. Make my own wiring harness with fuse and relay or use kits I find in other cars. Plus they are yellow projectors and that's what I like. Just mount them where ever.

3. Jul 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    sk8rjess

sk8rjess IG: @whoishack

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    some duct tape and zip ties
    the only way you're going to keep heat off is a metal sheild. just buy a sheet or two from home depot and cut to fit. though it's still going to get really hot in there. maybe you should look into using LED products. that'd be much easier to control the heat

4. Jul 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    Didn't even think of this! I know LEDS run much cooler than normal halogen bulbs. I may have to go to a different bulb that is offered in LED and use that.

Could also do the sheet metal thing along with projector idea. I'll have to play around with it and see what I can come up with. I just bought some HB2 plugs though so I will probably stick with that bulb. I will report back with my results and finish the write up. No promises on length though. Haha

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  5. Jul 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
  6. Jul 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
  7. Jul 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
  8. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
  9. Jul 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    You're awesome man!!! Rock on!

10. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:07 AM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Your welcome, I always check Amazon for everything. It usually ends up being cheaper since I have prime.

11. Jul 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I need to start doing that so I can save a little money on my stuff here and there

12. Jul 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    As there is no way to aim the light, is there not a distinct possibility of blinding other drivers?

Fog lights are mounted low with a distinct cut off to help limit glare. There are really more of an un-aimed accessory light. Probably pretty good for off road use.

13. Jul 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    It's possible. I will have to get it all set up and get out in front of my truck to see how bad the glare would be and think of possible adjustments to make. Fitting a projector into the housing was mentioned earlier and they may be what I do once I get enough time to sit down with my project again

14. Jul 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Thermotape will arrive July 23rd

15. Jul 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Got my tape today, working on covering the inside of the housing. Will post pictures when I'm done

16. Jul 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I tested one light today and it worked well. The halogen bulb creates a lot of heat though, I will probably get some LED bulbs to replace them. Better safe than sorry

17. Aug 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Still waiting LED bulbs to come in. Damn shipping

18. Aug 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Finalized covering the other housing with thermo tape. Will start wiring tomorrow or the next day. Will keep posting for those interested, if there is any. Haha

19. Aug 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I got the LED HB2 bulbs today. I tried to test them out and they wouldn't work?? Anyone have any idea why this would be?

20. Aug 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    trussell456

trussell456 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD V6 5-Speed
    Bilstein 5100's / Eibach's / AAL / All Pro Front Bumper / Skids / Billet Grill / 33x12.5x15 Duratracs / Dick Cepek DC-2's / TRS Retrofit / 20" Light Bar / 6" HID Fogs / Wet Okoles / WeatherGuard Tool Box
    LED's are usually polarity sensitive. whats your socket look like? any way to reverse the bulb?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top