1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hellwig sway bars front and rear installed

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Street Runner, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    Street Runner

Street Runner [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport BSP
    TRD CAI, JBA LT's, TRD CatBack, Hellwig Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines
    I like for my truck to handle well when going around a turn so I decided to give these Hellwig sway bars a try, here's what happened.

First I ordered the rear sway bar. As I began the installation I ran into a problem with the square U-bolts that go over the frame. I believe someone at the factory made an error and included an incorrectly sized U-bolt that was a bit too large in diameter to fit thru the other parts in the kit and there were no nuts in the kit to fit this larger U-bolt. I used a small round file (about the size of a pencil) to smooth out the rough edges inside the tube so that the U-bolt would slide thru. Once I finished filing I chased down some larger nuts to go on the U-bolts. After I found the correct sized nuts the rest of the install went just fine. Do not let these problems deter you from this mod, just be aware of it before you start and you will be fine. Hellwig may have already taken care of this issue by now.

I liked the way that the rear sway bar improved the handling so a few months later I went ahead and ordered the front sway bar. The front sway bar is a BEAST! This is a very nice piece of equipment and it also comes with poly bushings. Installation was easy, just drop the front skid plate and remove two braces and the old sway bar comes right out and the new one bolts up with no troubles.

Driving impressions after a few months with both front and rear sway bars is very positive. The truck goes around corners with extreme confidence and has virtually zero body roll with very little nose dive under agressive braking. Changing lanes on the hwy at 70mph is very stable and controlled. My truck has the TRD sport package and these sway bars do make it even more "sporty". If you drive on bumpy roads you will notice the bumps a bit more but it is not obnoxious in any way. If your truck has the base suspension you will really notice a dramatic change in handling and corning ability. The more I drive it the more I like it. Good mod for the street.

Hellwig front sway bar.jpg
    Hellwig front sway bar (1).jpg
    Hellwig front sway bar (2).jpg
    Hellwig rear sway bar.jpg
    Hellwig rear sway bar (1).jpg
    Hellwig rear sway bar (2).jpg
    Hellwig rear sway bar (3).jpg
    Hellwig rear sway bar (4).jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    Chaloots

Chaloots Well-Known Member

Member:
    thanks for the review. i have been interested in doing the rear sway i was unaware they offered a front bar.

3. Jul 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    Tacouser

Tacouser Tacoma User

Member:
    Chicago area
    Vehicle:
    12 tacoma Prerunner
    Cab LED's, Color matched front grill emblem,ARE color matched hard bed cover, Audio amp and new speakers
    I have been looking for a post about the Hellwig rear sway bar. I have a 2012 Prerunner and have been thinking about adding the rear sway. Nice pics also, thanks for the info.

4. Jul 31, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    Street Runner

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport BSP

Yep. I like them a lot. The rear is a good mod and the front is the real game changer. Hugs the turns. :)

5. Aug 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    Chaloots

Member:
    I finally pulled the trigger on this mod. The stock susp on my Sport feels like it handles turns much flatter. Definitely worthwhile if you do primarily on road driving.

6. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    Street Runner

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport BSP

Did you do both front and rear?

7. Aug 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    Chaloots

Member:

just did the rears, thats all my mod budget would allow at this time

8. Sep 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    I installed the hellwig rear sway bar today. I believe the part # is 7887 for those looking for this on a 2014. Install took me about 2 hours, but I wasn't rushing at all; took my time. Couple things that may help with install:
    1)Take the spare off. This allowed me to sit cross legged under my truck to work. I put the spare in the bed so that the suspension is under a normal load during fitting.
    2) Screw the arms all the way together before attaching to the bar. This is where they will sit when you are all finished. Its a pain if you bolt them on and then have to screw them together under the truck.
    3) Drill a pilot hole first for the arm brace into the frame. Its kinda a funny angle to lay and drill a 1/2" hole, so start small and then go for the full 1/2".
    Pilothole_zps3f08c0f1_07e87de15100f1c55d10eeffa09fb9a180423f62.jpg
    Sizing_zps205def9e_ebbd7fd9b883cbe177efbeceef2a3586b8499841.jpg

The truck handles much better in turns, but that is what a sway bar if for after all. Overall opinion is that this was a well worth it mod for a S/C taco that is used for 98% street. The responsiveness in recovering out of a turn is really crisp and quick, while through the turn the truck maintains a very flat stance.

rjfischerjr likes this.
  9. Apr 17, 2018 at 12:48 AM
    Blue2010

Blue2010 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma double cab sport 4x4
    Does adding sway bars (front and rear) affect off roading in any way?

10. Apr 17, 2018 at 2:21 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    Yes, very much so. They effect the ability of your rear axle, and your front suspension, to articulate as much as they normally would.

rjfischerjr likes this.
  11. Jan 15, 2023 at 11:30 AM
    TDRsport

TDRsport Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TDRsport MT
    Hello. Did anybody install this rear sway bar and removed the front? It supposedly would balance the amount of flex between the front and rear (add more on the front and less in the back). This should improve off road flex while still have some road stability. At least better than just with the front removed. Curious if anybody tested this.

12. Jan 15, 2023 at 5:57 PM
    GilbertOz

GilbertOz Driver

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC 4L 6spd 4WD TRD OR
    If anyone's considering the impact of removing/changing swaybars on suspension articulation, you will probably find this video enlightening. The conclusions it comes to -- thoroughly documented & measured in a controlled setting -- are surprising, and actionable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgKbUTQJy8

Products Discussed in

To Top