1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another reason to use the Toyota filter

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Flymaker, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jul 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    Flymaker

Flymaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Double Cab
    Bone Stock
    Having just got a 2012 Tacoma double cab 4x about a month ago ..Ive been doing a lot of maintenance on it just so I know where its at....truck had 33k on it at purchase ....I did a oil change to Mobil 1 last sunday and used a Bosch filter ....good filter yes....But....when I started the truck first thing in the AM ....truck would go into high idle and if I would give it a bit a throttle, on its way back down it would make a ticking/rattle sound......once warmed up no sound....so I pulled the Bosch Filter and replaced it with a fresh Toyota filter.....sound gone.....The bosch filter is probably a better unit but .. I'm gonna stick with the OEM to have proper lubrication at cold start up....

2. Jul 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    Swimmerboy2112

Swimmerboy2112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
    I used to use Fram filters in my 86' 4Runner, one oil change I pulled the filter off and to my amazement it was dry, no oil ever made it into the filter, must have been a defect. Now I ALWAYS use OEM filters on all my vehicles, no exceptions.

3. Jul 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    oem=your best option

4. Jul 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  5. Jul 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Flymaker

Flymaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Double Cab
    Bone Stock
    yes my truck has a very slight valve train tick....which is very normal from my understanding...a neighbor has the same truck as I do and his has a slight tick...since new and now he has 150k ish on it ....never got any worse ...the noise I am talking about went away after going back to the OEM filter ......it was just a start up....

6. Jul 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM
    byrd

byrd Unknown

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    '06 Access SR5 4x4 6 speed
    I had the yoda tick when I 1st bought the newer 4.0 Taco, but since I did an oil change and switched from 5W-30 to 10W-40 I no longer have that tick. The same thing happened with my PreRunner when I switched it over to 10W-40.
    Never had an issue with the PreRunner 3.4 engine the 12 yrs I owned it using that viscosity, that is until the frame rusted out. Since the oil is slightly thicker it does clings to metal a little better, could be why no tick. Who knows I always used 10W-40 in all my vehicle engines for the past 30+ years, works fine in the climate I live in. And yep OEM filter.

7. Jul 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Just out of curiosity wher do you guys get the OEM filters from? Do you go to the dealer or is there a better source? I know it sound like a stupid question but I've never really thought about using them until I got my Taco.

8. Jul 15, 2013 at 3:16 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I go to the dealer. I bought 4 filters at a 20% discount, and the drain plug gaskets were free! Less than $20.00!

9. Jul 15, 2013 at 3:20 AM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Okay, my dad (He was a machinist/mechanic for 20 years) made it sound like the dealt does nothing but rip you off for parts, but wow, for that price I'll be going to the dealer.

10. Jul 15, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    byrd

byrd Unknown

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    '06 Access SR5 4x4 6 speed
    I use the same dealer & always go to one guy (Chris) in the parts department. I always go in and shoot the breeze with him, we talk Taco's, I give him the part numbers, saves him time from looking it up. Since 1st meeting him, getting to be friends with him, he's been giving me discounts on all my parts, giving me freebies, etc....

He also told me he gives me discounts due to the fact I'm the only one to come in with the part number. For me it paid to get to know him. When he sees me come in he raises both arms up like "what broke now?".

Last time I was in, he saw my devil horns and said they looked awesome on the truck, said if he didn't have to sell his Taco for a better mpg vehicle he would of bought one himself.

11. Jul 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Got 10 oem filters off ebay for $40 shipped.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Jul 15, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Ordered a bunch from one of the sites on here - will have to go back and find the link - for between $3 and $4 each...

13. Jul 15, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    scout27217

scout27217 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Mocksville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red SR5 4WD DCSB
    I have had similar experiences. I used to go to Rice Toyota in Greensboro where I could get 1 filter and crush washer for a total of about $8-1/2 or $9. Then I made a random trip back to the dealer where I bought the truck and they parts guy there sells 2 filters for $10 and includes 2 crush washers. Rice charges for the washers. Go figure.

14. Jul 15, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    ComeAndTakeIt

ComeAndTakeIt Bob Lob Law

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Longview, TX
    Vehicle:
    13' White DC TRD Off Road
    Build in the Signature
  15. Jul 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    fxlbalto

fxlbalto Member

Member:
    I am a maintenance freak, even passing up the free oil changes from Toyota to do my own. Mobil 1 all the way for years, currently have 91 Toyota 4x4 extended cab with 360k on it, 2 Camry's with 175K each & now also have a 2011 Tacoma. numerous Camry's over the years. A few years back a did some research & found that the Purolator PURE ONE, was voted best filter by numerous agencies.

When I got the new Taco, I thought well I'll stick with the OEM filter & Mobil 1. I ordered the filters online for around 3.00 apiece. Was disappointed when I got them & found that although they say Toyota on them they were made in the Phillipines. Anyway I do oil samples & was surprised that with the Toyota filters there appeared to be problems, switched back to PURE ONE's & no more problems. Usually get the PURE ONE's @ Advance Auto for around $3-4.00 apiece after coupons. PS, would not put Fram filters on my lawnmower if you gave them to me for free.....

16. Jul 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^Toyota filters are made by Denso in Thailand, not in the Philippines.

17. Jul 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    fxlbalto

fxlbalto Member

Member:
    Ken, you are correct..... as I was writing the reply I had to 2nd guess myself. After I sent it I went out to the garage & yes they were made in Thailand....... But sticking with the PURE One's......

18. Jul 24, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    kn38ms

kn38ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW, FL
    I used Mobile1 filters in my 2011 Camry.
    Upon cold start up, it sounded like there was no oil for split second.
    Switched back to OEM, sound is gone.

I'm a believer...

Products Discussed in

To Top