1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lubricating drive shaft or propeller on 2006 4x4 Tacoma's...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DeeKay21, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Apr 27, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Subn' for reading later

2. Apr 28, 2011 at 1:49 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I run the Valvoline SynPower grease. It's NLGI #2 GC-LB lithium complex EP grease and protects from -60°F to 425°F. I don't think it matters but this is a greater temp range than Mobil 1. I think either way as long as you change it regularly you'll be fine but I just wanted to throw in my .02. :eek:

Proper relubrication flushes the U-joints and removes abrasive contaminants from the U-joint bearings.

"Spicer recommends a lubricating interval of 5000 miles or three months on 4x4s used 10% on trail. Cut that in half, at least, if you 'wheel a lot', and apply a squirt or two after major encounters with water."

City is 5000 as well, highway is 10k.

Spicer replacement universal joint kits contain only enough grease to provide needle bearing protection during
    storage. It is therefore necessary to completely lubricate each journal cross and bearing assembly prior to
    assembly into the driveshaft yokes. Each journal cross lube reservoir should be fully packed with a grease as
    recommended in Chart 4. Each bearing assembly should also be wiped with the same grease, filling all the cavities
    between the rollers and applying a liberal grease coating on the bottom of each bearing cap. After the kits are
    installed into the driveshaft yokes and prior to placing into service, relube as follows:
    1. Using the proper lubricant, purge all four bearing seals of each U-joint. This flushes abrasive contaminants from
    each bearing and assures all four bearings are filled properly. *Purge the seals. Spicer seals are made to be purged.
    2. If any of the seals fail to purge, move the driveshaft from side to side while applying gun pressure. This allows
    greater clearance on the thrust end of the bearing that is not purging (Photo 1).

Note: Purge - The point at which fresh lubricant has flowed from the seal

*We recommend relubrication with Chevron Ultra-Duty EP-2 or a compatible lithium based grease meeting
    N.L.G.I. Grade 2 specifications with an operating range of +325°F/+163°C to -10°F/-23°C

Zerk Locations in pretty pictures

3. Aug 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated

Good info. Thanks.[​IMG]

4. Aug 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    they are greased every 5000 kms, when oil gets changed and tires rotated...routine maintenance

5. Aug 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    every 5000 kms(3000 miles), when oil gets changed and tires rotated...routine maintenance:)

6. Jul 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    hobiesan

hobiesan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    ARE Cap with removable plywood bed/shelf, Bilstein 5100s, LED DTRL, Satoshi Grill, TRD Black Alloy Wheels, Goodyear Duratrac Tires
    I do all my own maintenance, but I have been ignoring the "lubricate the propeller shaft and re-torque bolts" recommendation in the maintenance log because I didn't know what a "propeller" shaft was. At 45,000 miles, I decided I better find out. Thanks to this forum, I learned it is simply the drive shaft and U-joints. Glad I checked here. All 5 joints took quite a few pumps for the grease gun before they were filled. I used Lucas Red and Tacky #2 grease.

The three zerk fittings were easy to find on the rear propeller shaft joints. Toyota was even nice enough to line them all up, so when one is pointing down, the others do too. The two on the front drive shaft (for 4x4's), were harder to find and grease. They are sort of hidden inside the U-joint. Really hard to get the grease gun fitting over the zerk and try to screw it tight. Almost impossible with my type of grease gun, but somehow I managed. I wonder if there are other types of grease guns which can snap over the zerk fitting without needing to screw the end tight.

Here's some pictures in case others might find them useful:

Rear U-joint zerk fitting with grease gun attached:

[​IMG]

Better view of the fitting:
    [​IMG]

here's the one near the middle of the drive shaft:
    [​IMG]

and the one near the transfer case:
    [​IMG]

lo2hi likes this.
  7. Jul 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I use a small pistol grip one handed gun like this

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WE...0-PSI-Operating-Pressure-4BY82?BaseItem=1TBA9

As you found out the big guns don't work on the front zerks.

8. Jan 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    ASUAviator

ASUAviator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Can it be assumed the reason the dealership doesn't do this is because it causes a f***ing mess?? I just did mine for the 15K and tried cleaning off the old grease best I could. After not much driving I can smell burning grease from it being slung on the exhaust as well as undercarriage. What can I do to do it better or just avoid it all together?

9. Jan 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  10. Jan 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    ASUAviator

ASUAviator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    That's what I used. It wasn't that I couldn't grease them, It was the mess they made once they were

11. Jan 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    I use a large cartridge gun similar to the one in post 162, works just fine for all.

12. Jan 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2 each his own:D

13. Feb 13, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    It wasn't much of a mess putting the grease in, but you do have a point since I did make some grease come out..didn't think about it being flung everywhere. At least grease doesn't cause stuff to rust..

14. Feb 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I run a paper towel thru the U joints as I go along - no excess grease:D

15. Feb 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Sub'd to remind me to do this.

16. Feb 14, 2014 at 12:17 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    Ya I had a good amount of greese that made its way to my driver's side door, was just to lazy to wipe excess/old that was in between the joints.

17. Jan 6, 2015 at 7:31 AM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    I have read no less than 15 threads in five different forums the past two days trying to fully understand how to lube the propeller shaft...I'm close...

I have a 2014 DCSB 4x4 Sport.
    Plan to lube the shaft in the next week.

Havn't crawled under the truck yet but am assuming there is a "Slide Yoke" and " Double Cardan" joint...

Some post list to use:
    - NLGI No.2 Lithium Base Chassis Grease is used for the universaljoint
    - NLGI No. 2 Molybdenum Disulfide Lithium Base Chassis Grease is used forthe Slide Yoke and the Double Cardan Joint.

I understand from this thread and others we don't want moly in our u-joints...at least not high concetrations for long periods of time. Too hard for the bearing surfaces. Moly is for high pressure sliding apps (like the splines).

Question: are most folks just using a good quality non-moly lithium based chassis greast (Mobile 1, Valvolene, Lucus RednTacky) for everything?

Or, are you running two grease guns? I have two so getting two greases is not an issue.

Also, old thread...does anyone have a current book for 2014 +/- listing the service method/lubes for the propeller shaft?

Thanks!

18. Jan 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    i have used red n tacky on all the shaft zerks for 3 years now with no issues.

Ihatetacomas likes this.
  19. Jan 13, 2016 at 7:04 PM
    gwoolston

gwoolston Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    Can someone confirm the lube locations for 2013+ 4x4? I have read that there are 5, I'm assuming one at each joint. 3 on the rear drive shaft, 2 on the front. Is this correct?

Thanks

20. Aug 1, 2016 at 2:45 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    I can confirm all 5 for my 2012

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    lo2hi likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top