1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sketchy 4wd...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Itisreallycold, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Jul 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    Itisreallycold

Itisreallycold [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Minnesnowta
    Vehicle:
    Ol' Rusty
    I can only get my 4hi to engage if my truck is cold when i start it up. I'll switch the lever from 2hi to 4hi and shift into reverse. The 4wd light will usually click on within a couple minutes(on a good day), and everything will work perfect. when I get 4wd to engage I can usually switch it on and off as long as I don't leave it off more than a couple seconds. When I turn 4wd off and reach operating temperature I can't get it to engage again unless I turn 4wd on and leave it until it engages, which only sometimes works and takes forever. I've replaced all the vacuum lines, and cleaned a couple contacts, but I haven't been able to figure out what is causing this. Im really hoping that my actuator is fine, and I'm suspecting that its the switch that engages the actuator.

[​IMG]

In this photo I'm wondering if this is the valve that switches the actuator on and off. 1995 DLX v6. If it is can I do a test with a multimeater?

There is a vaccum line that starts from the valve under the drives side front wheel well -> runs to this valve(photo) -> and then has 2 lines running down to the actuator on the front differential. And 1 line running to the engine.

2. Jul 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    Itisreallycold

Itisreallycold [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Minnesnowta
    Vehicle:
    Ol' Rusty
    BuMp! So I figured out that the part I am talking about is called the A.D.D Solenoid, hopefully a little spit shine will make this thing function properly...

Products Discussed in

To Top