1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Well - Liners

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Operator, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jul 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Operator

Operator [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD SPORT
    SUMITOMO ENCOUNTER AT TIRES 265/65/17
    I did a search on here and was surprised not to find a post on the issue below. If there is one that I've overlooked maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I travel some pretty sticky mud. It gathers up on the wheel well liners (very heavy) and has pulled the factory attachments out. Before I could get to a wash and repair the "very" thin plastic that is the well liner the wheels chew up the liners. There are numerous issues that pop up when you run the truck without well liners not to mention the amount of mud and rocks that accumulate in the rear quarters on the truck. I believe they do offer important protection for the truck long-term. I did manage to salvage the rear fuel side (although it was damaged) and zip tied it into place and covered everything up with duct tape to help protect the plastic rivets that hold these together. Toyota OEM liner replacement are $185 each plus extra for any new rivets required!

Does anyone know of an aftermarket upgrade for these parts?

Thanks

2. Jul 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    there's not an after market upgrade because there's nothing wrong with them, they're designed to deflect rocks etc from hitting paint and keeping mud out, they're not really designed to be pulled down by any weight, i'd cut some holes in it and zip tie it back up

3. Jul 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    You're probably going to have to fabricate something yourself. See if you have a buddy that can lend you theirs as a template.

Other than that, your best bet is to wash the wheel wells frequently to stop mud from building up and causing problems.

4. Jul 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Have never heard of this problem.

5. Jul 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    If I had known they were $185/ea, I wouldn't have thrown them all in the trash! :eek:

scottalot likes this.
  6. Jul 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    Bud man

Bud man Member

Member:
    I remember seeing someone (Stacey David???) recommending spraying WD-40 on the liners to help keep mud from sticking. I can't say whether it works or not.

7. Jul 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    get a can of that new rustoleum never wet or whatever and try that

8. Jul 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    TheGoat

TheGoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    White 07 SR5 4x4 6spd
    OME 885 springs on 90000 shocks, sway bar removed 1.5" AAL on 285/75/16s
    You might could get a body shop to fab some metal ones for the price of the oems. I tore one out of an eclipse turbo I had and replaced the whole wheel well plastic for like $20 from the dealership. can't believe they cost so much.

9. Jul 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Are you talking about these?

10qfoxz_8a9f3beaccb40d1f3f422690521671e98a45b823.jpg

If so, I have a passenger side I could ship out to you. I tore one up because I forgot to screw it back in after changing out the fog lights.

10. Jul 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Sounds like it's time to get a 4'x8' sheet of .032 aluminum from a metal supply house, a set of aircraft snips, and get to work on fabricating some new ones. Access to a sheet metal roller would help with getting the curve right, but .032 is thin enough to work by hand. A shear would also help with getting squared cuts, but again it's not critical for this application. A local sheet metal shop might be willing to make the necessary rough cuts and curves for you - check with some of the local HVAC outfits. Just tell them it's flashing for something and they won't give it a 2nd thought.

I haven't dug deeply into the Tacoma attachment points, other than the ones closest to the front bumper, but my wife's Matrix had a similar problem. I ended up replacing all the plastic clips and plastic screws with stainless hardware, including good fender washers and some blue loctite. Haven't had an issue since then (going on 5 years with the fix in place).

11. Jul 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    lyodbraun

lyodbraun Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 TRD Sport
    Nothing yet
    Baby oil works wonders for keeping mud from sticking in there...spray it all in the areas that get caked with mud and it will help with clean up...

12. Jul 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    Operator

Operator [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD SPORT
    I do think they are a little under engineered in the rear for the type of abuse they can take. For light off road and pavement there is no issue and the fronts are fine. I use the truck for work and travel a pretty rough gravel road for about 40km (25 miles it takes me an hour to travel) that turns into greasy mud for about the last 20 minutes. After the first trip in they were done but I do think greasing them up a little would've helped as well as reinforcing the rivets and protecting them with a little duct tape or upgrading them to bolts would likely solve the issue. Running without them causes the water and mud to leak out through the underside of the caps on the truck bed as well cause damage to the other plastic parts, clips etc. not to mention the fuel lines. Having the deluge of material hit the underside of the box has also caused one of the storage boxes in the truck bed to come loose and now its leaking into the box. My coworker has a '13 and I noticed they have eliminated the bed pockets. I did warn him and he's done a little reinforcing that has helped. Although I don't recommend taking them out if anyone wants to get rid of a pair I'll take them. I'm up here in Canada but would expect that maybe they are a little cheaper south of the border like everything else.

13. Aug 28, 2016 at 10:23 AM
    DanMac

DanMac Member

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey 2014 TRD
    Marathon Seat Covers, Hood Deflector Shield, Running Boards, Roof Racks, Yakima Box Rack
    I complete understand this problem! The heavy Alberta mud here in Canada really is heavy and hard on the wheel wells, I have learned this the hard way. I am going to get the dealer to repair like new and reinforce the wheel wells with zip ties, as the fasteners and wheel well lining was not designed for heavy cakey mud. Even if I clean out mid day during use it has still caused me problems. I will also experiment with WD40/baby oil, because it is clear to me now this will be an ongoing problem if I continue to use as is.

14. Aug 28, 2016 at 11:07 AM
    Operator

Operator [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD SPORT
    I did end up setting 2 rivets through the liner into the box portion directly on top of the rear liner and It ended up being the solution for holding the liner up when it's caked with that heavy clay/mud your referring to. When I drilled the pilot hole I went a little too far on the first one and ended up going through the box to the bed, not a huge deal but if your careful you can easily penetrate just that first layer where the rivet is going to attach without drilling into the box. I did try the zip ties to replace the cheap plastic rivets that hold the liner to the body panel but rocks smash those things regularly. If you can, I would replace all of the plastic rivets with metal ones. Even then the thin well liner wants to pull apart where it attaches. Also, I've also noticed that my front bumper had come off it's mount somewhere as it sags a bit right at the back at the wheel well. Probably another place where addition reinforcement is needed for the heavy mud.

15. Aug 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM
    B ill y

B ill y Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Sarasota County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner Trd OR, 1997 FZJ80,1985 FJ60
    A 5lug guy bought those at Rock auto for 50 bucks each side. I don't know how to share trends but its called 6 lug fender liners. In 5 lug trends.

16. Aug 28, 2016 at 1:41 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    In my dirt bike days when we knew we were going to be riding muddy clay based trails, we would use Pam , the non stick cooking spray. Works like a charm.

The junk your driving in will always require some cleaning before and after to prevent build up and possible damage to your truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top