1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newb looking for ideas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TBlack, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Jul 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    TBlack

TBlack [OP] Taco Party!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD 4X4 Sport
    Method Race Wheels
    Hey guys, I got my 2013 Tacoma DCSB Prerunner 2.7L about 2 months ago and I'm dying to do something to it. I'm trying to get some ideas from everyone. Anything from DIY mods to add-ons to suspension and wheels/tires. A few things I am really trying to get ideas on are:

-Black wheels and tires
    -Performance parts
    -Add ons (I really like the fabricated add ons for bumpers and side rails)
    -3" suspension (Priority Toyota offers a 3" lift for $1200 but I'm not sure what it includes. Is this a good idea because all the parts and warranty would be covered)

Really, I'm just looking to do anything to my Tacoma right now so send me some advice! If you are running what you suggest, please post pictures or links. Thanks!

IMG_1901.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg

2. Jul 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I would avoid dealerships for lift kits. Most of them just use coil spacers up front and lift blocks for the rear. For what they charge, you could get a much better lift kit at around the same price. Check out Old Man Emu kits from Toytec Lifts, Wheelers, or Downsouth Motorsports.

For wheels, it's personal preference. A lot of people just paint their stock wheels to get them blacked out and save some money.

For those side rails, search 'sliders' and check out what the different vendors offer. Personally, I chose BAMF sliders but again, personal preference for the look, they will all protect your truck. I believe 4xinnovations sells some of the cheapest sliders and they still seem strong enough to protect the truck off road.

3. Jul 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    Tacos sudados

Tacos sudados Memory Maker

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD SPORT 4X4
    I would probably go with suspension, but not from the dealer. They most likely are charging a lot to install it and if you have $1200 you could get a pretty nice setup and find friends to help put it on. If you're worried about warranty issues, talk to the Service Manager there and feel out the situation.

I personally work at a Toyota dealership and warranty issues are at the discretion of the service manager. For instance, if you put a lift on a truck and your exhaust system has issues, the suspension wouldn't have caused the issue so it would be under warranty. If you put suspension on and it consequently damages a cv boot, they could argue that it was caused by the lift and would not cover it.

Some dealers will and some won't. The reality is, they do the work and submit the work order to Toyota and get reimbursed for the job. If you build a relationship with the Service Manager by being polite, respectful and honest, chances are he will take care of you. Hell, he probably has a lifted Toyota and gets warranty work done. :)

If they are enthusiasts and not just "business men" the more often you are in there buying parts, talking to them, and letting them see the progression of your ride. They will take care of you. Just my $.02

Products Discussed in

To Top